SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/Mavs ...

siNoDux

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right about a couple of soft goals. But how many times was he hung out to dry and was then forced to make incredible saves to take this one to overtime. He didn't get any support. As I said in my earlier post, you aren't winning many games the way they played last night. I found myself asking which team had all the draft picks?:lol:

Good points. He made some tough ones, too, but ...

It just bugs me when he doesn't make the ones we expect.

Yeah, I wonder about the draft picks alot this year. I'm not saying it's over for this season, but assuming everyone comes back (where else would they go?) next year could be special.

Good points. He made some tough ones, too, but ...

It just bugs me when he doesn't make the ones we expect.

Yeah, I wonder about the draft picks alot this year. I'm not saying it's over for this season, but assuming everyone comes back (where else would they go?) next year could be special.

A great goalie should stop all the "easy ones." Parise in my mind was good last night, but not great. He was good in the sense he was able to keep us in it early when the team wasn't going well, but he would have been great if he hadn't lost his focus or whatever on a couple of "easier" opportunities.

I still think we gotta stick with him.

I heard Lou Nanne on the radio once recently and he recollected a conversation he had with a another hockey big shot back when he was running the North Stars. A goalie had played lost a game where he made a lot of great saves but let in a soft one that cost the game. Lou was saying how this goalie had played a great game, and you can't blame him for the one goal. The other expert said the goalie had played ok. Sure he made some great saves, but he couldn't stop the soft one that had cost the game.

Friday's game was a good indication of a team playing without intensity. I bellyached about the LandCows' second goal, which probably could've been blown dead for icing. Parise (and everyone else on the ice at the time) pulled up, which allowed Morin to blast away unimpeded. Parise bitched to the Stripes after the period about the non-call.

The gamewinner was almost identical to a goal IIRC last year against Denver at home. The only difference was that the interference (which was a pretty blatant pick on Prpich) was at the red line, rather than at the blue line where Denver pulled the same tactic. I sit right over Parise's right shoulder, and it was pretty obvious that JPar let up, thinking there would be a whistle on the pick, and he let a fairly weak knuckler past.

But, as I said, the Sioux came out of the chute flat, and let the Cows dictate play for 1-1/2 periods. They were weak on the puck, sort of soft in the corners, and being pushed around. Mankato loves to play with an edge, and the Sioux allowed them to set the terms of engagement.

Tonight will be an interesting challenge to what remains a young team: Fabian out; Stafford (if he plays) will be one-legged. Leadership can sometimes come from unexpected sources. I expect Prpich will want to extend his college career, and Smaby could well be looking at his last amateur game if they can't manage a win. Or will it be one of the freshmen, Oshie or Towes, perhaps, that picks the team up off the floor and carries them to St. Paul?

Don't hold me to this, but I heard it through the Grapevine, Stafford is a no go for tonight. Heard from a source close to the trainer. I don't know if this is the case with regards to students rights in all of this and confidentiality cause Stafford hasnt talked much about it. Just what I have heard.

Don't hold me to this, but I heard it through the Grapevine, Stafford is a no go for tonight. Heard from a source close to the trainer. I don't know if this is the case with regards to students rights in all of this and confidentiality cause Stafford hasnt talked much about it. Just what I have heard.

I would not doubt this - if he was unable to continue last night - I'm sure the injury will keep him out for the weekend.

I was at the game last night sitting right behind the Mav two end goal and left the REA madder than a wet hen. The Sioux came out flat - had a hard time standing up, puck kept getting caught up in their skates, couldn't make a pass, lost just about every race to the puck. To put it simply, it looked like their were 10 freshman out there (which I think there were).

Things got a little better as the game went on, but Sheppard, and the linesmen as well, needed seeing eye dogs - for both teams - so when the Sioux finally got their legs under them, the stripes pulled them out again. The part that really burns is that Sheppard sat and watched the penalties and then would wag his finger, like don't do that boys. Felt like my gramma was reffing.

Mav goal 1 - Offsides by at least 10 feet

Mav goal 2 - called off the icing when the puck reached the red line - everyone except two Mavs thought it was icing.

Sioux Goal - High stick

Mav goal 3 Sheppard watched and non-call on Mav that just about took Prp's head off which left his guy open - everyone watching Prp laying in the middle of the rink and not watching the puck.

The Sioux's other goal was really the only one that didn't have any controversy.

The Sioux can beat these guys. Hopefully, they've gotten the jitters out and the freshman fear has faded. They've played their "big" game now and can come out and just play hockey. We'll miss Fabian and Stafford, but the Mav's are just brutes and goons, not hockey players - the rest of the team can pick it up and give the Mavs a clinic on how to play hockey.

OK Rant done

GO SIOUX (and lest we forget - go Dogz)

Hey let us know if you get any more updates on Stafford's injury.

To put it simply, it looked like their were 10 freshman out there (which I think there were).

Sioux Goal - High stick

The Sioux can beat these guys. Hopefully, they've gotten the jitters out and the freshman fear has faded. They've played their "big" game now and can come out and just play hockey. We'll miss Fabian and Stafford, but the Mav's are just brutes and goons, not hockey players - the rest of the team can pick it up and give the Mavs a clinic on how to play hockey.

OK Rant done

GO SIOUX (and lest we forget - go Dogz)

Again, the Freshman thing just isn't cutting it for me. They've been playing "big games" since they got swept by SCSU at home. The entire team was sluggish which is extremely puzzling to me.

On the 2nd Sioux goal, I was immediately quesitoning if it was tipped with a high stick, but after I thought about it I remembered that it appeared the puck went into the corner of the net at an upward angle, because when it hit the net it bounced downward and out. That would indicate it was heading upward on it's way into the net, meaning it was tipped from a point below the crossbar. Of course, I was sitting in the upper level so my angles could have been off.

I will agree the officiating was horrible, but the Sioux put themselves into this situation by coming out flat for the better part of 2 periods. It just sucks that the message of "play hard every weekend, every game" has to be delivered after they find themselves behind the 8-ball.

I agree with Snake regarding the freshman thing.

As it sits right now there are four freshmen still on the Sioux: Brad Miller, Ryan Martens, Todd Alexander, and Aaron Walski.

If you aren't those three players, then the "freshmen excuse" doesn't work.

i thought the MCL was a ligament or tendon or muscle or something. can you sprain an MCL? im so lost................. :lol:

A sprain happens when you put strain on a joint and stretch a ligament, which connects your bones, and results in swelling, hemorrhaging, etc. The MCL is one of 4 major ligaments that connects your lower leg to your upper leg and keeps your kneecap in place.

A sprain happens when you put strain on a joint and stretch a ligament, which connects your bones, and results in swelling, hemorrhaging, etc. The MCL is one of 4 major ligaments that connects your lower leg to your upper leg and keeps your kneecap in place.

Sounds like a pretty important piece of rope.

I thought I once heard of a sprain described as sort of a partial tear. Is that correct? Or is there a real difference between a stretch and a partial tear? I know, sounds like an elementary question. I'm an elementary guy.

I thought I once heard of a sprain described as sort of a partial tear. Is that correct? Or is there a real difference between a stretch and a partial tear? I know, sounds like an elementary question. I'm an elementary guy.

Yes, a sprain can be a stretch and/or a partial tear.