SiouxSports.com Forum

Michael Forney

radionews

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the program was worth its weight they would be playing AA. I know they are a small school, but they have enough kids to play AA, they are afraid to go up against the big boy's night after night.

Please forward this post to Aaron Marvin... Just in case he was considering UMTC...

If the program was worth its weight they would be playing AA. I know they are a small school, but they have enough kids to play AA, they are afraid to go up against the big boy's night after night.

Maybe they don't move to AA because of the lack of AA teams in the area? I guess it doesn't stop Roseau too much, but Section 8 in AA is an awfully big area. Also, I figured Roseau made the jump because they were tired of losing to Warroad in the playoffs...

Forney hurt his shoulder about five minutes into the second period and didn't return to the game. At the time, TRF had a 2-1 lead. They extended it to 3-1 before falling 4-3 on a goal with about 35 seconds left in the game.

Personally, I'm disappointed because I was hoping to get a chance to see Forney play. It looked like he hadn't gotten into much of a groove at the time of the injury, but I expect that he would have gotten his chances as the game wore on. From the little I saw, you could see that the ingredients are all there, especially hands and size. He also seemed pretty raw right now, with plenty of things to work on. He did crush a kid with a charge early in the game, so it was nice to see a bit of an edge, even if it was a little illegal. (FWIW, I'm one of the expert scouts who thought Oshie still needed to work on things after watching the tournament the last few years.)

The big thing here that is truly sad is what the injury meant to TRF's and Forney's state title hopes. To further his hockey career, Forney could played elsewhere this year, but he chose to come back and help his team play in the state tournament. Then he finally got there and only got to play one period. Forney made a really admirable decision, and didn't get the payoff he deserved. Although he did get part of it, as TRF did make it to the state tournament for the first time in 41 years, and he did get to play in it.

Forney hurt his shoulder about five minutes into the second period and didn't return to the game. At the time, TRF had a 2-1 lead. They extended it to 3-1 before falling 4-3 on a goal with about 35 seconds left in the game.

Personally, I'm disappointed because I was hoping to get a chance to see Forney play. It looked like he hadn't gotten into much of a groove at the time of the injury, but I expect that he would have gotten his chances as the game wore on. From the little I saw, you could see that the ingredients are all there, especially hands and size. He also seemed pretty raw right now, with plenty of things to work on. He did crush a kid with a charge early in the game, so it was nice to see a bit of an edge, even if it was a little illegal. (FWIW, I'm one of the expert scouts who thought Oshie still needed to work on things after watching the tournament the last few years.)

The big thing here that is truly sad is what the injury meant to TRF's and Forney's state title hopes. To further his hockey career, Forney could played elsewhere this year, but he chose to come back and help his team play in the state tournament. Then he finally got there and only got to play one period. Forney made a really admirable decision, and didn't get the payoff he deserved. Although he did get part of it, as TRF did make it to the state tournament for the first time in 41 years, and he did get to play in it.

That really puts a damper on a great day of hockey. I left after two periods, after 10 periods of hockey today I had to hang em up. TRF looked to be far superior, but they must have worn down without their top guy.

Seeing the TRF crowd turn out in strength has to have made his decision to return well worth it. Making the state tourney is an incredible achievement in itself.

Single "A" state tourney is a lot of fun. The teams all went for broke all day long. Heartbreakers in both games this evening.

Anyone else see the end of the game when they originally put 4.8 seconds back on the clock. Did you also see who was in charge of the instant replay--Greg Sheppard. Not a big surprise to me that they got it wrong with Shep piloting the ship. When is the WCHA going to get wise and get some new blood to look at things with a fresh perspective instead of the good old boys network that Sheppard has created.

I believe TRF would have finished off Hermantown had Forney played the entire game, but he 1st period performance was somewhat lackluster. Didn't seem to have the level of intensity I expected for their 1st state tournament in 41 years. Although I did like the penalty he took. That was the kind of physical play that will serve him well at UND. Hopefully the injury wasn't too severe.

It was a bummer seeing Forney have to miss most of that game. I thought Hermantown had some pretty good skill and some pretty poor luck for most of the game. TRF was HORRIBLE in their own end. Fortunately, for large parts of the first 2 periods they were able to keep most of the play in their offensive zone.

Forney did seem to have some tools to work with. Some nice hands and playmaking ability around the net, some good work along the boards, and the ability to commit 3 penalties and only get charged for one (interference, elbowing AND charging all at the same time). It would have been interesting to see if TRF could have found a way to get one more had their best player been on the ice, or not. Most of the 3rd period was played in TRF's zone, and Hermantown's skilled forwards finally had some bounces go their way.

The player that stood out most to me was #66 for TRF, Phillips(?). He was a pretty dynamic player.

It was a bummer seeing Forney have to miss most of that game. I thought Hermantown had some pretty good skill and some pretty poor luck for most of the game. TRF was HORRIBLE in their own end. Fortunately, for large parts of the first 2 periods they were able to keep most of the play in their offensive zone.

Forney did seem to have some tools to work with. Some nice hands and playmaking ability around the net, some good work along the boards, and the ability to commit 3 penalties and only get charged for one (interference, elbowing AND charging all at the same time). It would have been interesting to see if TRF could have found a way to get one more had their best player been on the ice, or not. Most of the 3rd period was played in TRF's zone, and Hermantown's skilled forwards finally had some bounces go their way.

The player that stood out most to me was #66 for TRF, Phillips(?). He was a pretty dynamic player.

I thought the same thing about Phillips the couple times I have seen him play this year.

I thought the same thing about Phillips the couple times I have seen him play this year.

Did you guys see the Hanowski kid (Ben?) from Little Falls? Talk about great hands, and he's only a frosh. I had never seen Forney play until yesterday, he looked skilled in the offensive zone. I didn't see enough of him to judge skating. Does anyone have a good handle on that?

Anyone else see the end of the game when they originally put 4.8 seconds back on the clock. Did you also see who was in charge of the instant replay--Greg Sheppard. Not a big surprise to me that they got it wrong with Shep piloting the ship. When is the WCHA going to get wise and get some new blood to look at things with a fresh perspective instead of the good old boys network that Sheppard has created.

I saw that, tnt! I just about died laughing. Although I was pulling for TRF to win the game, imagine the uproar if in the 4.1 seconds that were put back on the clock resulted in a goal scored by the Prowlers. Wow!

I thought they originally had the time right, the score keeper usually keeps track of the time they forgot to start the clock for, and then adjusts to make it right. I dont know how shep could even think that only .7 seconds happened on that faceoff, to shot...

I thought they originally had the time right, the score keeper usually keeps track of the time they forgot to start the clock for, and then adjusts to make it right. I dont know how shep could even think that only .7 seconds happened on that faceoff, to shot...

Pretty ridiculous. Face-off win back to the D, slap shot, goal, and you have controversy! Lucky for the officiating crew, it didn't wind up that way.

Did you guys see the Hanowski kid (Ben?) from Little Falls? Talk about great hands, and he's only a frosh. I had never seen Forney play until yesterday, he looked skilled in the offensive zone. I didn't see enough of him to judge skating. Does anyone have a good handle on that?

The Hanowski kid is the real deal. Lots of upside to his potential. Because of his size I thought of Kevin Maxwell when we played them. Little Falls is young and will be a very good team again next year. He isn't their only young kid. They have some Sophs that are also pretty good.They aren't real big. They need to get on a speed and strength program.

Forney can skate but looks more smooth than quick probably because of his size. He is fast and quick and a very good athlete. He has good acceleration out of his own zone and controls the puck well in traffic. He passes well. He usually isn't real physical but he doesn't have to be. Phillips is an excellent player and will be a D1 kid after a year or two playing Juniors. The Benedict kid (jr) is a very good skater with a wicked slap shot and nice wrister. He is pound for pound one of the stronger defensemen in the tourney. If you will play a smaller defenseman he could be a D1 kid after jrs.

One of the best things about the Thief kids is that they skipped the Fall Elite league crap and played FB. Our kids tried to do both and it increases injuries and fatigue by the end of the FB season.

Michael Forney, Sioux recruit from Thief River Falls, scored the game winning goal in the 4TH OVERTIME to beat Warroad for the Section 8A Championship Thursday night and the right to go to the state tourney next week. Warroad won state last year, this the first time TRF has been to the state in 40+ years. GO PROWLERS and GO SIOUX

4th overtime? How did that happen? Did the goalie come out to play the puck, only for the puck to take a ridiculous bounce off a seam in the boards and pop right out to a player from Bowling Green Warroad, who then scores on the empty net?

Here's my recap: http://westerncollegehockey.blogspot.com/2...for-hockey.html

I was pretty impressed again with Forney. I agree with what has already been said.

One thing that I forgot to add was that Robby Phillipp played a great game and should get some college attention, especially if he plays juniors for a year or two.

Chris, thanks for the link. Good stuff.

You're right, there is NOTHING better than watching hockey all day.

The Hanowski kid is the real deal. Lots of upside to his potential. Because of his size I thought of Kevin Maxwell when we played them. Little Falls is young and will be a very good team again next year. He isn't their only young kid. They have some Sophs that are also pretty good.They aren't real big. They need to get on a speed and strength program.

Forney can skate but looks more smooth than quick probably because of his size. He is fast and quick and a very good athlete. He has good acceleration out of his own zone and controls the puck well in traffic. He passes well. He usually isn't real physical but he doesn't have to be. Phillips is an excellent player and will be a D1 kid after a year or two playing Juniors. The Benedict kid (jr) is a very good skater with a wicked slap shot and nice wrister. He is pound for pound one of the stronger defensemen in the tourney. If you will play a smaller defenseman he could be a D1 kid after jrs.

One of the best things about the Thief kids is that they skipped the Fall Elite league crap and played FB. Our kids tried to do both and it increases injuries and fatigue by the end of the FB season.

Isn't Benedict committed to Wisconsin? I know there's another TRF kid who is, but the name escapes me right now.

I hope the UND coaches know the roads to Grand Rapids and Roseau very well and spend a lot of time on them in the next while. White from Grand Rapids looked really good last night, as did several Roseau players, many of whom were freshmen and sophomores. Roseau might have quite the team in the next couple of years. Did I hear there was another Lundlbom playing for the Rams? :silly:

Isn't Benedict committed to Wisconsin? I know there's another TRF kid who is, but the name escapes me right now.

I hope the UND coaches know the roads to Grand Rapids and Roseau very well and spend a lot of time on them in the next while. White from Grand Rapids looked really good last night, as did several Roseau players, many of whom were freshmen and sophomores. Roseau might have quite the team in the next couple of years. Did I hear there was another Lundlbom playing for the Rams? :silly:

Sorry to be such a stickler, but I think it's Lundblomb. ;)

It is Aaron Bendickson that is committed to Wisconsin.

According to Heisenberg, the only current Theif kid I found committed is Forney. Someone could have left Theif to play jrs though. White had a great game last night but seems to have had an inconsistent year. There seems to be an awful lot of talented sophs and frosh in Minnesota this year.