SiouxSports.com Forum

Projected Tourny Bid

GBpakrzz

That's the way it should go but I doubt it. If the gophers end up with the #1 seed overall, why should they have to face the Sioux in Grand Forks while Wisconsin remains in their home state?

1998 western regional - #1 Sioux play host school Michigan in Ann Arbor...and loses in an "upset"

2002 western regional - #1 Denver plays host school Michigan in Ann Arbor...ditto above

It's not exactly unheard of...

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1998 western regional - #1 Sioux play host school Michigan in Ann Arbor

2002 westen regional - #1 Denver plays host school Michigan in Ann Arbor

Oh I know it's not unheard of, just unfair. UND and Denver both got screwed those years. And for the record, I didn't think it was fair when the gophers were home for two regionals. I'm for never allowing regionals to be in teams home arenas in general. The problem is in the west, we don't have a bunch of other arenas to provide us with options.

Oh I know it's not unheard of, just unfair. UND and Denver both got screwed those years. And for the record, I didn't think it was fair when the gophers were home for two regionals. I'm for never allowing regionals to be in teams home arenas in general. The problem is in the west, we don't have a bunch of other arenas to provide us with options.

I'd agree with you there 100%. The amazing thing was the hockey world touting the huge "upsets" by Michigan in those two games. Let's see...the #1 team in the country against the #5 or #6 team in the country in the lower team's own building. Hardly a USA/CCCP level upset in my eyes.

If Wisconsin keeps up its skid, who's to say the Gophers don't go to Green Bay and Wisconsin doesn't pack its bags for Grand Forks? Michigan Tech is the host of the midwest region, not Bucky Badger. There's no guarantee that UW ends up in Green Bay.

Michigan Tech is the host rather than Wisconsin?

1998 western regional - #1 Sioux play host school Michigan in Ann Arbor...and loses in an "upset"

2002 western regional - #1 Denver plays host school Michigan in Ann Arbor...ditto above

One big difference between then and now, though, is 4 sites compared to just 2 sites in 2002 and prior to.

With 4 sites, most likely one of them being a WCHA arena, I'm guessing that both the Sioux in '98 and Denver in '02 would have been there, avoiding Yost.

There really isn't a precedent for the 16 team tournament yet. The ultimate test for the NCAA will be if the Sioux make it and Minnesota is the #1 team when the selections are made.

One thing I do think in Minnesota's favor about going to Green Bay if such a senario occurs is the "NCAA will keep Wisconsin in GB for the $$" factor. I'm guessing Green Bay sold plenty of tickets when the Badgers were hot. If Minnesota goes, the remaining will be eaten up. I think you'll have a sell out in GB either way with Wisconsin & Minnesota. Sell out in terms of tickets sold, not people in seats, but the NCAA only cares about the former, not the latter.

I would like for the Sioux and Gophers to not be in the same regional so they can both go to the Frozen Four again. Only this time I want them in separate brackets so they can't meet till the championship game.

And than, as Ed Belfour would say, we can "open up a can of whoop-a$$" on them!

Seems to me that the projected seeds place two WCHA teams in Grand Forks and one in two others and none in Albany. I don't think the NCAA will do this. They will place( if there is four teams from the WCHA) each conference foew in four seperate brackets. I really don't know why any of us follow this darn projected seeds anyway, because things can change so violently in the few remaining weeks that the first projection will not look anything like the final seeds.

Seems to me that the projected seeds place two WCHA teams in Grand Forks and one in two others and none in Albany. I don't think the NCAA will do this. They will place( if there is four teams from the WCHA) each conference foe in four seperate brackets.

The NCAA doesn't want a repeat of last years frozen four with four teams from the same conference. That's why having two teams in Grand Forks and zero in another bracket makes sense. It assures that another conference will be represented in Milwaukee.

Seems to me that the projected seeds place two WCHA teams in Grand Forks and one in two others and none in Albany. I don't think the NCAA will do this. They will place( if there is four teams from the WCHA) each conference foew in four seperate brackets. I really don't know why any of us follow this darn projected seeds anyway, because things can change so violently in the few remaining weeks that the first projection will not look anything like the final seeds.

we follow it because its fun to see where the so-called experts think we will end up, theres nothing wrong with that. passes time ya know. the NC$$ will do everything in their power not to have 4 wcha teams in 4 seperate brackets so they dont have a all wcha frozen 4 again. if a 5th team like du slips in then they may not have a choice but if 4 stay in there will be 1 bracket with NO wcha team if the NCAA gets its way..

Personally - I would like to see the Goofs season conclude at the Ralph. Let them watch the Frozen 4 at home on TV. Most folks here feel that the trip to Milwaukee is certain - I would like to see their arrogance squished and then listen to all the excuses afterwards.

It seems like about 1 in 10 Gophers fans on GPL aren't worried about going to REA to face the Sioux. Don't let that prevent you from calling us arrogant though.

i definitely wouldnt want the sioux to face the gophers in the regional. why have the gophers get humiliated on just a regional scale, when it could be done on national tv :silly:

actually, the gophers are scary to me. they can be beat, but i'd rather take the easier road to the frozen four. plus, i've got tickets to the frozen four, so i want to see the sioux there... and i think there's a better chance w/o the gophers at the REA.

Tough to say what the NCAA will do. I think MN will be a team they move to whichever region has #8 vs. #9. Remember folks, that overall seeds also come into play. So if Sioux end up 8 or 9, MN is in GF. If UW ends up there, then they go to Green Bay. The last thing the NCAA wants is to have the Gophers with a tough draw. Remember that the Frozen Four is in Milwaukee. Big UW draw, so cancel the UW vs. MN showdown. The NCAA needs one of those schools to make it.

Say what you want about tickets being sold, but having FULL stadiums on national television looks very nice.

I love the idiot that emailed PA and Dubay this morning saying the Sioux didn't deserve to play in their own regional. Did Michigan deserve all those home games when they weren't #1? How about MN getting all those regionals and Frozen Fours? Was it fair for UND to have to go to Massachusetts and play both Boston and BC last year? Didn't the Gophers have arguably the easiest regional last year? I see it as only being fair that for once the Gophers get a bad draw in the NCAA tourney. Plus, they think they own our arena, so let them play there against us.

As far as tickets to the West Region, it shouldn't be a concern to the NCAA. I think it was Chris Semarou (?) that was an intermission guest one game. He said that the GF region had sold the most tickets so far and sold them faster than any region before. I'm probably rememberring this all wrong though.

i'm excited to see who that CHA team is. If Bemidji shows up, I think they have a legitimate shot as anyone to upset the Gophers. If it was a three, five, or seven game series the Gophers would take it easy, but because it's just one game... the Beavers could do what they almost did to Denver last year. They always seem to play WCHA teams tough, so you just never know.

It seems like about 1 in 10 Gophers fans on GPL aren't worried about going to REA to face the Sioux. Don't let that prevent you from calling us arrogant though.

Actually - I looked and it seems as if 1 in 10 aren't whinning as much as the others as to how unfair it would be. The arrogance still is abundant however.

i'm excited to see who that CHA team is. If Bemidji shows up, I think they have a legitimate shot as anyone to upset the Gophers. If it was a three, five, or seven game series the Gophers would take it easy, but because it's just one game... the Beavers could do what they almost did to Denver last year. They always seem to play WCHA teams tough, so you just never know.

It's like this...

If UND ends up a #4 seed, no WCHA team comes here. It seems improbable (if not impossible) that Wisconsin of Minnesota does not end up a #1 seed. If the above occurs, UND wil play another #1 (seemingly either Miami or Boston U or Michigan State [with CC being next in line but also having to be sent elsewhere]). That leaves us with Miami (whom we've beat) or Boston U (who we have no fear of and a pretty good recent post season record against) and Michigan State (who is on a tear and beat us early in the year and who is playing great and... who we have some payback to give!). If the above #4 seed happens for UND, I have no problem with either of the three in waiting. Not that we can't be beat by them, just that the fact that we have played them this year or often leads me to believe that: (a) we won't be intimidated by them; and (b) Hak will have enough coaching verus their skill to at least keep it close (assuming average to good goaltending by JPar or that other guy who plays every once in a while).

:silly:

It's like this...

If UND ends up a #4 seed, no WCHA team comes here. It seems improbable (if not impossible) that Wisconsin of Minnesota does not end up a #1 seed. If the above occurs, UND wil play another #1 (seemingly either Miami or Boston U or Michigan State [with CC being next in line but also having to be sent elsewhere]). That leaves us with Miami (whom we've beat) or Boston U (who we have no fear of and a pretty good recent post season record against) and Michigan State (who is on a tear and beat us early in the year and who is playing great and... who we have some payback to give!). If the above #4 seed happens for UND, I have no problem with either of the three in waiting. Not that we can't be beat by them, just that the fact that we have played them this year or often leads me to believe that: (a) we won't be intimidated by them; and (b) Hak will have enough coaching verus their skill to at least keep it close (assuming average to good goaltending by JPar or that other guy who plays every once in a while).

:silly:

Why can't a WCHA team come in as a #2 or #3 seed if UND is a #4 seed?

Doesn't it go:

#1 vs. #4

#2 vs #3 in the first round?

I don't think they can catch Alabama at this stage of the game though - we'll see I guess.

Why can't a WCHA team come in as a #2 or #3 seed if UND is a #4 seed?

Doesn't it go:

#1 vs. #4

#2 vs #3 in the first round?

Yes. However, it appears that CC (the closest #2 seed) would be a lesser #2 and, at least for now, would go to another region. Of course - and it goes without saying - this can all change very quickly. Just giving the IMHO based upon todays stats.