SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs UMDogs

sports

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the game. Tonight's game has given me hope!! We won yesterday but I thought the Sioux's game last night was mediocre at best. Tonight, man o man. The passes which resulted in goals were things of beauty!! All year long I saw the three man passes go for nought but tonight they finally gelled (sp). Damn, the guys were playing great together.

The land cows beat the mutts, we're ALIVE!!!!! :huh:

Nice. :D

But even without those 'slightly skewed' bonus rankings, the Sioux move up to 15th w/o bonus, 14th with bonuses. Not all games are over yet though.

FYI... if you put in .006 and .004 and .002 for the bonus, UND ends up in 14th!

EDIT: I could look it up, but I'm not a sudo journalist and feel no need. Empty speculation is good enough for me.

Here's tonight's sudo-journalist report.

Both teams skated 10 freshmen Friday night. Tonight, UND had 10 freshmen on the ice and UMD had 9.

Well, it's over, and I can go back to cheering for the Sioux! At least we didn't get shut out.

The intermission guest was Duluth's strengh training coach. He is using the number of freshman in Duluth's linup as an excuse. :) WTF, does this guy have no clue? He must be dumb as a rock. :huh:

Hey jerky, we have freshman too, probably more...

Well, he IS the strength training coach, not the head coach, so it's not really his job to figure out why we're not winning. However, he is a terrific strength and conditioning coach. Watch what he does with some of our skinny guys in the next few years, i.e. Mason Raymond.

Parise, baits Gergan into a penalty. Sioux PP. X-checking.

Gergan really seems like the dogs #1 player. What happend to stapleton?

I would say the Dogs' best player is Mason Raymond, and I would say their leader is Matt McKnight. If he isn't wearing the C next year, I'll be confused. Gergen is great but has a bit of a temper, Andrew Carroll is a hard worker. What happened to Tim Stapleton? Chug-a-lug.

If anyone wants to give me their thoughts on the 'Dogs players, I'd like to hear them. You can PM me if you want, as I'm probably the only one interested. God, I need to move to Duluth and get season tickets. Then I can see for myself.

Well, it's over, and I can go back to cheering for the Sioux! At least we didn't get shut out.

Well, he IS the strength training coach, not the head coach, so it's not really his job to figure out why we're not winning. However, he is a terrific strength and conditioning coach. Watch what he does with some of our skinny guys in the next few years, i.e. Mason Raymond.

I would say the Dogs' best player is Mason Raymond, and I would say their leader is Matt McKnight. If he isn't wearing the C next year, I'll be confused. Gergen is great but has a bit of a temper, Andrew Carroll is a hard worker. What happened to Tim Stapleton? Chug-a-lug.

If anyone wants to give me their thoughts on the 'Dogs players, I'd like to hear them. You can PM me if you want, as I'm probably the only one interested. God, I need to move to Duluth and get season tickets. Then I can see for myself.

Myriad of thoughts and ponderances from tonight's game. Just got back at 1 am! ;) Went out with a buddy after the game and the hour drive home... anyways...

Tonight I got the game from a suite (THANK YOU LB#11!!!) and boy I'll tell you:

1. Suites are NIIIIIICE

2. Student sections are more fun though.

I don't think the people appreciated that I yelled a lot. At least I kept it clean and yelled at appropriate times (except the time when I watched half the lower bowl section in front of me leave with 5 minutes left in the 3rd. I got evil looks for yelling "Beat the traffic")

UND:

1. WOW. It's it amazing what a little good passing can do? Toews was the MAN tonight. Duncan and Spirko weren't bad either :D. Porter and Kaip had really solid games. Kaip's faceoff win/pass to Watkins was huge. No, not in the context of the game itself, but in the context of Kaip's confidence. However, Both of Toews' goals, Duncan's goal, and Watkins' goal happened right in front of my suites and I can tell you they were brilliant.

2. Jordan Parise saved our bacon 3 or 4 times. I think he has a pretty solid chance at WCHA Defensive POTW. However, it may go to a Maverick...

3. Faceoffs: Early in the game, it did not appear as though we were winning many. Good thing our forecheck was really good. Stafford's picking of the UMD player's pocket was beautiful. Too bad Porter couldn't get back onsides in time (I thought he made it, but I didn't have the angle).

4. Penalties: We HAVE to be more disciplined. I don't know if UMD would have scored if we hadn't given them as many penalties as we did. And Kozek's unsportsmanlike was simply foolish. That can't happen, even if it is only UMD.

I'm tired now so I'm going to abbreviate this a little:

UMD

1. NO team D. Wow. You guys played sloppy 2 of the three periods. Isaac isn't the kind of goaltender that can control a game. No Team D and he becomes a sieve.

2. Final thoughts on Isaac. Wow. I have given up thinking that this guy has a future in pro hockey. At one point I thought he could play in the NHL. Then I thought he could still salvage a minor pro career. Now... maybe the UHL, CHL, SPHL, or Europe at best. He really looked shakey out there at times. And even during warm ups, if anyone went high on him, it went in the net. I hate to say it, but I think UMD would have been better off with Ziggy in net. At least he only gave up 4. On the flip side, at least Isaac didn't give up two horrific garbage goals either. What a mess.

3. Carroll looks REALLY good. He reminds me of Erik Fabian in a way. Very hard working. Not sure how much offensive talent he's going to bring to you guys but I think Carroll could quickly become a fan favorite.

4. UMD got basically 90 percent of the odd man rushes tonight and they couldn't convert on any of them including two breakaways. I'm not sure if it was simply Jordy's play or the inability to score that got you guys.

5. I really like Scott Sandelin, but I wonder how much longer he's gonna get at the helm and if someone will give him another shot. He's a really good guy.

6. Czech shouldn't be your Captain. McKnight should be. Czech is like Stauffacher without talent. Something tells me that if he didn't wear the 'C' he probably wouldn't play all that much.

Tired. Not sure if any of this made sense. Going to bed now.

What an incredible passing game. After basically garbage goals on Friday night, all five goals on Saturday were a thing of beauty. The radio guys couldn't even pick out a play of the game with all of those incredible goals. It is like everyone knew where everyone else was (just as they should) and made the pass. They should have given play of the game to Kaip for his attack on Shepard in the 3rd. The puck was on the dasher right up against Shepard. Kaip got in three good swings with the stick trying to get the puck off the dasher, but he kept hitting Shepard. As usual, it took Shepard a while to realize the situation and finally blow the whistle. That was a highlight I never thought that I would see.

The downside to the whole weekend was the difficulty the Sioux had breaking out of the zone. Once they got it going things were fine, but that is an obvious area that needs to be fixed. Brian Lee struggled on Saturday, just not his usual self. Coughing up the puck, not making the timely outlet pass, passing to covered guys or to a Bulldogs player.

Finally, Kozek is a mini-Robbie Bina. He absolutely leveled some guys on the weekend.

OK Sioux - Now let's focus on Denver.

Brian Lee struggled on Saturday, just not his usual self. Coughing up the puck, not making the timely outlet pass, passing to covered guys or to a Bulldogs player.

OK Sioux - Now let's focus on Denver.

I think Lee looked shaky all weekend. I noticed this on Friday as well, just not with it, not making the right pass at the right time. I think its because he is still young and barely out of High School. I think he will improve in the next year after a summer of weight training and skating.