SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Huskies

AZSIOUX

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not as pathetic as a lot of our Friday night games this year, but we need to find a way to win, and they couldn't do that tonight. It's getting to be too late in the season to be gambling with points. Need to secure our positioning in the upper echelon of the standings, so we can make a decent run in the WCHA playoffs, and set ourselves up for a decent seed in the NCAA tournament. Not going to happen if we can't produce a win on Friday night. Need a much better performance from them tomorrow night.

This was a game where the physical "edge" UND played with last week was non-existant. This was not the Sioux hockey I've come to expect.

In the first period, they moved the puck well and had energy. In the third, not only did they not "Wear down SCSU by rolling 4 lines", but they got outworked and out-goaltended. Not good.

Sioux had very few quality chances. If they would score more than one goal a game they wouldn't have to worry about bad bounces beating them.

point well taken..we need to start getting some shots on goal and this powerplay on the point crap never works. we need to start working it down low and finding the open man sneaking in.

Earlier in the thread, when St Cloud scored thier second goal... people were saying that it bounced of Chorney and they don't blame Phil... can someone elaborate further... because at the rink it simply looked like Lamoureux just plain didn't stop the puck...

Earlier in the thread, when St Cloud scored thier second goal... people were saying that it bounced of Chorney and they don't blame Phil... can someone elaborate further... because at the rink it simply looked like Lamoureux just plain didn't stop the puck...

yeah it was definitely deflected. im not sure by who, but it didnt come thru clean

Watched the game at Sensers tonite. Curious if anyone listened to Hak after the game. I'd like to hear what he had to say.

I thought the Sioux came out flying. They really took it to SCSU and I was surprised they didn't get one in the net. That's my impression anyway. SCSU calmed things down a bit but I thought the Sioux had the better of the play in the first.

I thought SCSU had the better of the play for large parts of the 2nd period. The Sioux worked hard but had some difficulty keeping any continuity offensively.

In the 3rd it seemed to come and go. It was unfortunate that the Sioux did seem most disorganized during crunch time, and maybe that has something to do with youth.

Anyway, it's my fault because I called a sweep earlier tonite. And in the 3rd I said this looks like the kind of game where the next goal is going to win it. And sure enough....

The 2nd goal was a deflection off of Chorney. I couldn't tell exactly what it hit but it bounced up and knuckleballed at Lammy, and appeared to handcuff him and sneak under his left elbow. Bummer.

I thought the Sioux all appeared to work hard tonite, but SCSU kept them from the front of the net for large parts of the game, and rarely, if ever, left anyone alone out there. Where's Dahl when we need him? SCSU didn't give up to many chances.

Over all, the Sioux didn't commit too many penalties. Kaip looked solid from what I could see. Lee again made a few questionable decisions dumping the puck around behind his own net. Oshie looked very good, and so did Toews. His goal was a beauty, and great work by the guys who set him up.

Oshie, with less than a minute left and you are breaking in on the goalie, it might be best to take the open shot instead of trying to thread the pass through traffic to the other winger. You almost pulled it off. And the Sioux almost tied it up.

For the Lee watchers, you would have been very happy to see him put an SCSU player DOWN at center ice with a crushing body check. That was nice to see.

Anyway, more knowledgeable types who saw the game might have different take on the game than I did, but I find it hard to be too upset with the game tonite. Disappointed? Yes. Upset? No.

Just got back from the game. We are clearly the better team, but couldn't get any bounces, couldn't settle the puck down and get a decent shot. They are a extremely defensive team. Very boring to watch, dump the puck when they get in trouble, wait for a mistake and score. Both of their goals were garbage, but they won. That is their style and it seems to work. Great crowd in my opinion. Not many empty seats. All in all a pretty boring game though due to SCSUCKS defensive style. Their 2nd goal bounced off Chorney and went in, a bounce they got and we didn't. Very very frustrating to lose at home to a team like St. Cloud, our 2nd loss to them this season. We can't seem to win at home, I really don't get it. Lets win tomorrow and stay in the top 5...or do we really want to play at home in the playoffs?:bigsmile:

Hak was not impressed with the passing and overall intensity of the players. Felt they tried to make too many long passes and didn't have very good puck control because of it. He didn't think they came out to play at the drop of the puck. Inconsistency was the problem according to Taylor Chorney.

It was just a bizarre game overall. I'm not too upset with the outcome because I did think they played well, despite the bad luck, but I expect that they'll come out to play tomorrow night for the split.

Go Sioux!

Keys to the loss:

1. Whiffs. We couldn't settle the puck down in deep all game long.

2. Pressuring late in the third. We lost momentum and it stayed away.

3. Bad luck. I don't know what else to call those two goals for SCSU.

4. Bad passing. It seemed to me that breakout passes were either in the skates or just out of reach all night.

That was one of Hak's comment in his post-game interview. Sioux were attempting to make 50 foot passes rather than 15 foot passes.

What else was said in the post game interview... I didn't catch it.

My take on the game... we appeared to be skating decently... the passing was AWFUL... lots of good hits... We just didn't seem to have a spark...

My take on the game... we appeared to be skating decently... the passing was AWFUL... lots of good hits... We just didn't seem to have a spark...

I didn't catch all of it (had to tend to the dog, and I wasn't too happy at the moment), but Hak basically said a lot of what has already been said on the thread already. St. Cloud got some bounces, but we need to finish plays. Didn't feel the guys played terrible, but not great either. Disappointing loss.

This isn't flattering to say but Goephert didn't look as good as he did the last time we played him. He was leaving rebounds ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!

Yeah, passing was terrible all night long but seriously, we should have won that game.

Passing drills up the ying yang. I'd've done it tonight. Wait until the crowd has gone and then ran them for an hour or two then sent the team home to rest.

But I'm not Hakstol (thank god or the Sioux would probably be 0 and forever)

One last thought. This team has a long way to go if they want to be a playoff contender.

Sure, they move the puck around pretty well on the powerplay, but don't score all that often. Plus, they are a little gritty, mostly from the likes of TJ Oshie and players like Spirko and Porter. However, the young guys need to get a lot more hard-nosed in order for the Sioux to be a serious threat in anyone else's book.

Teams are coming into the Ralph knowing that, if they work hard and scrap for chances near our net, they will most likely get a split. To me, that is @*#$%&)@#$!!!

That is all.