SiouxSports.com Forum

The Dakota Student gets it exactly right

frnkdrcmn

We have another math problem here.

You want 50% of new REA? That's a mere 5703 seats.

The students aren't filling the 2200 they have today.

Proof? REA/UND are able to sell general admission tickets to the public because the students haven't picked the (free) tickets up.

Maybe if the student sections where in a better place in the arena where students would like to sit (i.e. the LOWER BOWL) there wouldn't be as much hatred between the students and the rest of the REA. This is the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux not the City of Grand Forks Fighting Sioux let the students cheer on THEIR team. If they want a more lively atmosphere at the REA maybe they should put students where they could be right in the thick of the action and make the Ralph sound like the old one did!!!

From an anonymous student dissatisfied about the treatment of the students in the REA.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For students. In the upper. (Forgive me if $3 is "free" in my world.)

They're $6! That's alot of money! You can buy like half a case of The Beast with that! ;)

Maybe students shouldn't feel entitled to lower bowl seats. I spent all of last year in the Upper Bowl. Do you know how grateful I am that I get to sit in the lower bowl this year? Even if I am weaseling the system. :bigsmile: Sure it would be nice if students had half the lower bowl, but how about we try living in the real world? That's not going to happen, so how about students work on getting along with others at the arena? It worked pretty well last week and I bet it can against this week.

Maybe if the student sections where in a better place in the arena where students would like to sit (i.e. the LOWER BOWL) there wouldn't be as much hatred between the students and the rest of the REA. This is the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux not the City of Grand Forks Fighting Sioux let the students cheer on THEIR team. If they want a more lively atmosphere at the REA maybe they should put students where they could be right in the thick of the action and make the Ralph sound like the old one did!!!

From an anonymous student dissatisfied about the treatment of the students in the REA.

Everyone would like to sit in the lower bowl, not just students. Regarding the old arena, unfortunately the only time the student section was even close to full was the Gopher games (and it was packed).

Just curious what it costs to run the new FREE arena with beer gardens and every seat having some kind of monetary contribution vs. the old ralph which was still being paid for while roughly 2,500 seats were free to the students. The same students that raised hell for opposing teams. You obviously know the financials-maybe you can give us all a run down between the two arenas?...

When you consider students have about 2500 seats in the new arena, and consider the "contribution" the general public has to make for a seat, it seems to me like the non-students have more in that deal to be unhappy about.

First off, don't ever refer to me as a drunk "eh-es-es holes" especially when I hold both bachelor and Masters degrees from UND (obviously-no longer a student). And don't call the current students that either. They are the same kids giving you a job and a place to live. Grand Forks would NOT be there without UND!!!

Just curious what it costs to run the new FREE arena with beer gardens and every seat having some kind of monetary contribution vs. the old ralph which was still being paid for while roughly 2,500 seats were free to the students. The same students that raised hell for opposing teams. You obviously know the financials-maybe you can give us all a run down between the two arenas?...

By the way, if you want to sell your season tickets. let me know...I'll take them off your hands and maybe even buy a few 21 year old students a beer while I emabrace the fact that they are 'oh my God-having fun'

Sorry to tell you that

1. Being educated the way you are you think you would know better. 2. I said what it takes to run the athletic depts, not the arena, please refer back to #1 now. Someone last year posted the figures for what it costs to run all these programs, maybe someone could do that again. 3. I would never sell my tickets to a jerk like you, again, please refer to #1. 4. There is a fine line between having fun and being a jerk, once again please refer to #1. 5. In the real world you don't always get what you want by crying and stomping your feet, for the last time please refer to point #1.

Maybe students shouldn't feel entitled to lower bowl seats. I spent all of last year in the Upper Bowl. Do you know how grateful I am that I get to sit in the lower bowl this year? Even if I am weaseling the system. :bigsmile: Sure it would be nice if students had half the lower bowl, but how about we try living in the real world? That's not going to happen, so how about students work on getting along with others at the arena? It worked pretty well last week and I bet it can against this week.

What he said.

UNREAL . . . I am in disbelief! Are you really saying that the students don't go to games because they would have to sit in the upper deck? I had to move to the upper deck this year because of financial reasons and I consider myself the luckiest SOB in the world just to step inside the arena to watch my favorite hockey team.

A statement like this blows my mind. It is any wonder why the REA and UND have to treat students like children sometimes . . . or should I say spoiled children?

(All reserved seating)

Non-Sat. Sat. game

Adult Non-WCHA $21.00 $22.00

WCHA $24.00 $25.00

vs. Minn $28.00 $28.00

vs. Wisc $28.00 $28.00

vs. St Cloud $28.00 $28.00

Youth $11.00 $11.00

UND students $6.00 with valid student-ID

students can go to 4 games and 2 periods of a gopher game to a non students 1 game, and then have to sit in the student section and listen to em bitch about how they can't stand and be drunk and obnoxious and about how expensive the games are for them??? I'm all about the students having a good time and providing the atmosphere, but gain a little perspective about how the other half lives....we still have fun at the games.....and we aren't hammered, or organizing cheers about how to tell a ref to F off, and then turning around and complaining about the people who paid 30 thousand dollars for 15 seats and can't watch the game cuz nobody will sit down....... it is all about the students, but why not give a little in your rediculous demands, it's a hockey game, not a MudVayne concert

UNREAL . . . I am in disbelief! Are you really saying that the students don't go to games because they would have to sit in the upper deck? I had to move to the upper deck this year because of financial reasons and I consider myself the luckiest SOB in the world just to step inside the arena to watch my favorite hockey team.

A statement like this blows my mind. It is any wonder why the REA and UND have to treat students like children sometimes . . . or should I say spoiled children?

I'm so sorry that you cannot take my post as an idea to the problem....maybe its not the students fault....maybe its the unrelenting putdowns that the students recieve at the REA and on this forum. Students are here to support their teams but you will not allow them to because of your own personal agenda which is to make the students not be allowed to cheer for THEIR team. Rant over!!! :bigsmile:;):love:

I'm so sorry that you cannot take my post as an idea to the problem....maybe its not the students fault....maybe its the unrelenting putdowns that the students recieve at the REA and on this forum. Students are here to support their teams but you will not allow them to because of your own personal agenda which is to make the students not be allowed to cheer for THEIR team. Rant over!!! :bigsmile:;):love:

1065564877icsinsane26sz.jpg

And to confirm, please take this and share the results. Thanks.

We have another math problem here.

You want 50% of new REA? That's a mere 5703 seats.

The students aren't filling the 2200 they have today.

Proof? REA/UND are able to sell general admission tickets to the public because the students haven't picked the (free) tickets up.

Remember, since the Ralph opened, only a few games(I believe all of them were gopher games), have sold out of student tickets/general admission. They could probably sell sect 307 or 310 as season tickets.

If the world really was out to get you, you'd be got already.

What follows is a paraphrased version of an actual conversation that occurred in a Grand Forks restaurant in late August 2001 between a UND student and a Minnesota-Duluth student.

UMD student: So have you bought season tickets to watch hockey in the new arena?

UND student: No, I'm not going to go to any hockey games this year.

UMD student: Why not?

UND student: Ralph Engelstad has too much money. There's no way us students should have to pay to watch hockey.

UMD student: Let me get this straight. You won't pay five bucks a game to watch one of the best college hockey teams in the country play in one of the best arenas in the world while sitting in the best seats in the house? I feel sooooo sorry for you!

Two points.

1. I think the image of drunk students at the games is overblown. There are very few drunk students at the games that I see. Probably about the same % as the general public.

2. Who the hell is MudVayne? :bigsmile:

1. as with most things in life, one bad apple spoils the bunch... you know as well as i do that it doesn't take too many idiots to ruin it for the masses, especially if the idiots offend the wrong people

2. MudVayne is like Ozzy on Steroids and Crack....only screaming and very hard

1. I think the image of drunk students at the games is overblown. There are very few drunk students at the games that I see. Probably about the same % as the general public.

Great point. I keep hearing people talk about the "drunken students", but there are plenty of season ticket holders who sit around me that get drunk and obnoxious at every game. I'm not denying the fact that some students might get drunk at the games, but there are plenty of non-students who are drunk at every game also.

I just have to comment on "Grand Forks would not exist without UND"

UND is a HUGE part of Grand Forks & Welcome by most all

But have you ever been here in the summer ? It is a much quieter community & seems to do alright

It's like saying - Without Government ND would not exsist - Who would live up here without Government support ? From Farming to Electricity to Roads, you name it, would it be here without taxes ? & the support the community gives to make our community livable ...Maybe even an exceptional place to live

We are all here to support one another - Or should be - Don't like it....... leave

Some of you need to go see the real world & I bet you will someday wish you lived in a community as nice as GF

Your not "drunk in Pub-lic" if you are in an establishment that serves alcohol legally.

True, very true.

But again referring to the great and wise Ron "Tater Salad" White, a true source of first-hand knowledge on these matters, immediately after he was thrown out of a bar, he was "drunk in pub-lic." (See Diggler's post above.)

And he wasn't even a minor. ;):bigsmile:

There's a whole other conundrum --> A drunk minor is legal nowhere in North Dakota, "pub-lic" or not.

I tried to lead off-suit but you forced me to "throw trump".

True, very true.

But again referring to the great and wise Ron "Tater Salad" White, a true source of first-hand knowledge on these matters, immediately after he was thrown out of a bar, he was "drunk in pub-lic." (See Diggler's post above.)

And he wasn't even a minor. ;):bigsmile:

There's a whole other conundrum --> A drunk minor is legal nowhere in North Dakota, "pub-lic" or not.

I tried to lead off-suit but you forced me to "throw trump".

What is your point then? I am pretty sure everyone here knows that being drunk in public is against the law in North Dakota, which means pretty much all (or a lot) of us have broken the law before.

I am also pretty sure that you are trying to refer to UND students being drunk in Engelstad Arena by making the comment. That it is against the law for them to be drunk in the student section of REA which is not the case.

After all I have seen you post that same thing three or four times now in "student atmosphere" threads.

What is your point then?

I thought there were two issues with students: Vulgarity and Obstruction. The University brought out Intoxication as a third.

The first two are simple issues of manners and respecting folks around you. The last one is a legal issue, yet UND is trying to deal with it without involving the legal system. That seems rather charitable of UND.

I am also pretty sure that you are trying to refer to UND students being drunk in Engelstad Arena by making the comment. That it is against the law for them to be drunk in the student section of REA which is not the case.

You would be incorrect in that last sentence. It is completely illegal for a minor to be intoxicated in the student section of REA. From the ND Century Code (that'd be state law for the non-legal-type folks out there):

5-01-08. Persons under twenty-one years of age prohibited from using alcoholic

beverages ....

Paragraph 1: ... a person under twenty-one years of age may not ... consume or have recently consumed other than during a religious service, be under the influence of, be in possession of, ... an alcoholic beverage.

Now you can probably win some points with me if you claim going to a UND hockey game is a "religious experience", but the state law is clear. If you're in ND and under 21 it doesn't matter where you are, thus,

Your not "drunk in Pub-lic" if you are in an establishment that serves alcohol legally.

does not hold true if you are a minor.

The old Ralph was not free to students. The students got such a large part of the seating because student fees paid for the majority of the building when it was built. The students approved an increase in their student activity fee to pay the bonds on the building. So, the students didn't have to pay for tickets to individual games, but the entire student body paid every semester for the building. I don't remember for sure, but I believe that the increase in fees was at least $50 per year (or more) for every student, not just hockey fans. It was a totally different situation than the current building.