SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Behavior @ The Ralph

WiSioux

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the credibility of the meeting was gone as soon as I saw that the rules apply to everyone, but everyone was not at the meeting.

The last time I checked, "everyone" doesn't insist on standing for the entire game and "everyone" doesn't participate in organized, obscene cheers. I could be wrong, but most of those problems occur within a certain section.

That being said, if the rules of behavior are to be enforced, then they should apply to "everyone."

The last time I checked, "everyone" doesn't insist on standing for the entire game and "everyone" doesn't participate in organized, obscene cheers. I could be wrong, but most of those problems occur within a certain section.

That being said, if the rules of behavior are to be enforced, then they should apply to "everyone."

Not "everyone" in that "certain section" participates in organized, obscene cheers nor does "everyone" in that section stand all the time. And the ones that do probably were not at the meeting to hear these "rules."

If we're going to go by that same standard then maybe it should be applied in every day life. Looking at ND Deparment Highway statistics from 2005 the age group that saw the greatest rise in DUI's were adults 60 plus years of age. The number nearly tripled from 2004. By that measure we should start having traffic checkpoints located by every Elks and Eagles Club and every driver with an AARP sticker should be pulled over and given a breathalyzer. Sound ridiculous doesn't it. So is punishing just the student section at the Ralph because their causing the most problems.

Student Update from tonight: No problems...no foul language...apparently - THEY'RE COOPERATING ??? Best moment of the night when a student held up a sign saying..."Mr. Buning. I'm drunk but NOT disorderly" Buning actually went into the student section - shook his hand and slapped him on the back then rah-rahhed the clapping students around him...all I could do was hum KUMBAYA, My Lord - KUMBAYA!! :lol:

Student Update from tonight: No problems...no foul language...apparently - THEY'RE COOPERATING ??? Best moment of the night when a student held up a sign saying..."Mr. Buning. I'm drunk but NOT disorderly" Buning actually went into the student section - shook his hand and slapped him on the back then rah-rahhed the clapping students around him...all I could do was hum KUMBAYA, My Lord - KUMBAYA!! :lol:

There was also a sign that read,"The Student Council does not represent us."

The students actually came up with some new cheers. It sounded as if there was one student who was really working the crowd. Good for them!

The students were great tonight. It was good to see that people were making an effort. The atmosphere can only get better if the students keep going and pull the rest of the crowd with them.

IMO the pulling in of the rest of the crowd did not go very well... they didn't cheer with us (unless we scored) and when we tried to start the wave it failed. Is it really that hard for some people, not even everyone, to stand up once a period during a break and clap?

IMO the pulling in of the rest of the crowd did not go very well... they didn't cheer with us (unless we scored) and when we tried to start the wave it failed. Is it really that hard for some people, not even everyone, to stand up once a period during a break and clap?

To be honest, I never participated in the wave at a hockey game. To me, that's a football or baseball cheer. I mean, the wave at the football or baseball game was genuinely something to do between the 25 seconds it takes to get a football play off or the 10 minutes (it seems) for the pitcher to throw the d### ball! It just seemed lame to do it at a hockey game.

The students were great tonight. It was good to see that people were making an effort. The atmosphere can only get better if the students keep going and pull the rest of the crowd with them.

I have to agree that it was better, and I hope that the rest of the crowd joins in tomorrow night. I saw that because when I looked to my right at the section next to us, such as when a great save was made or a HUGE hit was put on a "purple pansy", we stood and cheered (which should be an appropriate time) but there was a few "fans" that just glared and werent even clapping. That place could have absolutely been rockin if everyone had joined in. Even the AD got in on the action.

Major props to the student section tonight. The Drunk but not Disorderly sign was very good humor. Most clever cheer was "We Want Shep-ard!" My 11 year old daughter got that one and thought it was really funny.

Do not get discouraged if the old foggies are not joining in right away. It will take time. It will take alot of repetition until everyone begins to understand that in situation x, the cheer is y.

I would like to hear the students sing the school songs. 2500 students singing "Fight on Sioux" - slowly at first and then building speed to a deafening cresiendo (along with the band) as the Sioux are going to take the ice would be impressive. The whole student section should be singing "Stand up and Cheer" after a goal, once the initial crowd yell has subsided. Eventually the rest of the people in the arena will get it. Tradition building for cheers has to start sometime.

Keep up the great work.

Major props to the student section tonight. The Drunk but not Disorderly sign was very good humor. Most clever cheer was "We Want Shep-ard!" My 11 year old daughter got that one and thought it was really funny.

Do not get discouraged if the old foggies are not joining in right away. It will take time. It will take alot of repetition until everyone begins to understand that in situation x, the cheer is y.

I would like to hear the students sing the school songs. 2500 students singing "Fight on Sioux" - slowly at first and then building speed to a deafening cresiendo (along with the band) as the Sioux are going to take the ice would be impressive. The whole student section should be singing "Stand up and Cheer" after a goal, once the initial crowd yell has subsided. Eventually the rest of the people in the arena will get it. Tradition building for cheers has to start sometime.

Keep up the great work.

The students don't know the songs, especially "Fight on Sioux"... we need to figure out how to get the words on the screen... but I have heard that it has been shot down in the past...

Rome wasn't built in a day. This was a great start. If the students keep going like this they will get others to join them. It will take time to get some of those people out of their seats. I am not a big fan of the wave in any venue and won't be joining in on that. But I will be in the upper deck supporting the students in any other way I can. If the students are having fun it will be contagious and others will eventually join in.

The students don't know the songs, especially "Fight on Sioux"... we need to figure out how to get the words on the screen... but I have heard that it has been shot down in the past...

The songs are on this website - link on the main page. Lyrics and real audio files. But here are the lyrics anyway:

Fight on Sioux (Lyrics)

Fight on Sioux, we're all for you

We're thousands of strong and loyal souls

We know you'll win every game you're in

No matter how distant the goals

As we go, we'll show each foe that

We're the toughest team between the poles

We're rough and tough it's true

But we're sportsmen through and through

We're the fighting Sioux from North Dakota U

Stand Up & Cheer (Lyrics)

Stand up and cheer

Stand up and cheer for North Dakota

Pledge your loyalty

For she's your Alma Mater true.

Our team is fighting

And we will help them see it thru

We've got the team

We've got the steam

So North Dakota here's to you

These are great college songs and it takes about 2 minutes to memorize them. Maybe some student group or the cheerleaders can print them out and put a copy on every student seat. Once the students get this going, then move on getting the words on the scoreboard for the rest of the crowd.

There is a link on UND's website with all of the Fight Songs, their lyrics and musical samples courtesy of the Varsity Bards. Tell a friend...

http://www.UND.edu/schoolsongs/

Fight on Sioux was always my favorite. By the time the teams came on, it felt like my lungs would burst.

Maybe its worth tackling the REA screen again. If at first you don't succeed, right?

Glad to hear the students were trying and being appropriate. And it will take awhile to get everybody in it but that doesn't mean they should give up.

Just so ya know, I emailed the general manager of the Ralph to ask who I would talk to about getting school song lyrics on the big screen... papers in the chairs, that's another deal... I'm not gonna print them all, pay for them all, and deliever them all... I don't have that kind of patience

These are great college songs and it takes about 2 minutes to memorize them. Maybe some student group or the cheerleaders can print them out and put a copy on every student seat.

Hmmmmm. I know that there is a joke here somewhere, but I'm just too tired to pick the low hanging fruit. ???

Fight on Sioux (Lyrics)

Stand up and cheer

Pledge your loyalty

Our team is fighting

We've got the team

We've got the steam

These are great college songs and it takes about 2 minutes to memorize them. Maybe some student group or the cheerleaders can print them out and put a copy on every student seat. Once the students get this going, then move on getting the words on the scoreboard for the rest of the crowd.

I'm having Kinkos print up 2500 sheets of the two songs. They will be ready for pick up by 3PM. Who wants to pick them up and pass them around to the students? (They are paid for in advance.)

I'm putting this request out in the Students Cheers thread as well.

Rarely do I chime in but in this case I feel I must.

Friday I'll be taking three folks, who are 11000 miles from home, to their first ever ice hockey game. They are from a country UND is trying to create stronger ties with (India). This will also be their first and probably only exposure to the University of North Dakota, its campus and students. We will be sitting across the aisle from the student section.

What impressions of my alma mater will today's student body give to these folks? What impressions of UND will these folks take back with them? I'm sure I'm not an exception. I'm sure there's something similar at every game. And I know that same impression is beamed by satellite around the continent every game also.

What impression are folks getting is the question.

GDM

Forums Moderator

Nice job folks. Thank you, and keep up the good work.

Sorry I couldn't cheer along more often with you. I was explaining what "Sieve!" meant and why you all "want Shepherd" to my guests.

GDM

Forums Moderator

I'm having Kinkos print up 2500 sheets of the two songs. They will be ready for pick up by 3PM. Who wants to pick them up and pass them around to the students? (They are paid for in advance.)

I'm putting this request out in the Students Cheers thread as well.

wow.........

The songs are on this website - link on the main page. Lyrics and real audio files. But here are the lyrics anyway:

Fight on Sioux (Lyrics)

Stand up and cheer

Pledge your loyalty

Our team is fighting

We've got the team

We've got the steam

That, or perhaps somebody could get the lyrics printed out onto the back of a t-shirt or sweater. Put the people who actually know the songs in front. The front could say something else, like Siouxsports.com perhaps?? Just a thought. ???