SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show

PCM

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches Show. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or U.S. College Hockey Online. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the written permission of the author.

From the Green Mill, Tim Hennessy is the host with Sioux hockey coach Dave Hakstol and players Jonathan Toews and Brian Lee.

TH: Our first guest in Jonathan Toews who won a gold medal with Canada playing at the World Junior Championships in Vancouver. Have you come down yet from the whirlwind of the World Juniors?

JT: Not really. It

Edited by PCM

Talk about young kids that are already very media savy. I am impressed.

One thing that really hit me was that people don't realize how young this team is. I think he is right. Like Tim said Wisconsin shaves every day, the UND team doesn't .

Thanks PCM! Interesting and informative.

Lee and Toews seem like bright and mature players (especially for their age). When the lace the skates and get on the ice, it is easy to forget how young they are.

I do like Coach Hakstol's position on the young players. A good balance of not cutting them any slack but being realistic about what you can really expect from them.

Even though the Sioux are running a .500 record in the conference and we all like to see them do better, I am very impressed with the coaching and the players themselves. Makes you proud to be a fan of a great team!

I agree that this team is very young, but to Hakstol's credit, I don't hear him saying that the second half of the year. Hennessey talks about it a lot, but last year he was saying that there was complacency by the upperclassmen, especially the seniors. You can't have it both ways. I think, or at least I hope that the decision was made that you can win with younger talent, even though that hasn't been the traditional method in the WCHA. If you don't think it is possible, then you need to temper that by not recruiting high-draft choice type players, at least not as much in the same class. I think we all can sense that the window is short for this group of freshmen. I'm hoping for a nice run down the stretch this year and some playoff experience at the least and hopefully a very realistic title run next year if you can hold on to at least two of the three we all know have possiblilities of taking it to the next level -- Smaby, Zajac and Stafford, and no other Brady Murray-type surprises. Can you imagine this team with Brady Murray and Matt Greene?

I agree that this team is very young, but to Hakstol's credit, I don't hear him saying that the second half of the year. Hennessey talks about it a lot, but last year he was saying that there was complacency by the upperclassmen, especially the seniors. You can't have it both ways. I think, or at least I hope that the decision was made that you can win with younger talent, even though that hasn't been the traditional method in the WCHA. If you don't think it is possible, then you need to temper that by not recruiting high-draft choice type players, at least not as much in the same class. I think we all can sense that the window is short for this group of freshmen. I'm hoping for a nice run down the stretch this year and some playoff experience at the least and hopefully a very realistic title run next year if you can hold on to at least two of the three we all know have possiblilities of taking it to the next level -- Smaby, Zajac and Stafford, and no other Brady Murray-type surprises. Can you imagine this team with Brady Murray and Matt Greene?

And a senior named Zach Parise... ;) But it doesn't work that way...

You said it! Don't know if Toews knows the hornets nest he just stirred up!

Please, I don't think he stirred up anything. Any player who grows up in Canada and decides to play college hockey rather than major junior may always wonder if he made the right choice.