SiouxSports.com Forum

UND FB Recruiting

UND Fan

Let's reserve this to UND recruiting!!!

Does anyone know if we are bringing in recruits this weekend? We usually try to do so when there are either BB or hockey games at home. The women do play hockey against Wisconsin but the small crowd won't be nearly as impressive as it is when we are playing against NCC BB foes or have a hockey rival in town.

Another factor that really comes into play with some kids is the weather in GF when they are in for their visits. Opposing coaches really sell against UND because of its distance from many recruits home towns and the "terrible" winters GF has. In actuality, I suppose GF winters are greatly different than Mpls or Wisconsin winters but kids don't know that. If they visit during very cold or stormy weather, many assume that it is that way in GF all the time. I know we have lost recruits due to this. I partially bring this up because I know it has been a great winter up there so far. I hope it lasts through recruiting season.

We have also lost a lot of kids through the years because they weren't able to get to GF on their scheduled weekend due to weather but I suppose that could happen to any schools in the NCC.

I haven't been able to find anything too interesting in a couple of weeks. I believe there are still several good North Dakotans who are apparently undecided, including Evan Sauvageau, Travis Mertens, Ryan Kasowski and Jake Landry, all of whom I believe either have visited or will visit UND, along with other North Dakota possibilities including Dylan Glaser, Cole Zarak and Zack Winkler (I have no idea whether there has been any mutual interest between the latter three and UND).

I don't believe this year's group of North Dakota recruits will be as good as last year's for UND, so hopefully we do very well in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

The other unknown factors are whether we get any impact transfers, or jucos. Those have been pretty rare in the past, but you never know when another Travis Lueck or Glen Mathews may show up.

I haven't been able to find anything too interesting in a couple of weeks. I believe there are still several good North Dakotans who are apparently undecided, including Evan Sauvageau, Travis Mertens, Ryan Kasowski and Jake Landry, all of whom I believe either have visited or will visit UND, along with other North Dakota possibilities including Dylan Glaser, Cole Zarak and Zack Winkler (I have no idea whether there has been any mutual interest between the latter three and UND).

I don't believe this year's group of North Dakota recruits will be as good as last year's for UND, so hopefully we do very well in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

The other unknown factors are whether we get any impact transfers, or jucos. Those have been pretty rare in the past, but you never know when another Travis Lueck or Glen Mathews may show up.

Word up north is that Winkler is headed to Minnesota Duluth. I have also heard that he has yet to decide if he is going to play football, he might just go to school. Maybe your Cavalier connection can help you with this Neche kid........

There are lots of Travis Luecks and Glen Mathews in this state. They are about 100 miles south of us in Wahpeton at NDSCS. Just look at the two players that NDSU received committments from. I believe that Lueck and Mathews were both players at NDSCS. Does UND even recruit NDSCS? I heard that NDSCS had at the least 10 DI/DIAA players this year that were sophomores. Some of those DI/DIAA players signed with DII schools. One is going to Mankato. A majority of them come from the cities according to their roster. They have players that UND needs.

There are lots of Travis Luecks and Glen Mathews in this state. They are about 100 miles south of us in Wahpeton at NDSCS. Just look at the two players that NDSU received committments from. I believe that Lueck and Mathews were both players at NDSCS. Does UND even recruit NDSCS? I heard that NDSCS had at the least 10 DI/DIAA players this year that were sophomores. Some of those DI/DIAA players signed with DII schools. One is going to Mankato. A majority of them come from the cities according to their roster. They have players that UND needs.

I believe Lueck went there to play basketball. I think FB was kind of an afterthought.

I believe Lueck went there to play basketball. I think FB was kind of an afterthought.

Lueck went to NDSCS to play football, and then transferred to I-AA Murray St where he played (sparingly I beleive) before eventually transferring to UND.

UND does apparently recruit NDSCS (Tyler Morrow last year, for example), but clearly not to the same extent as programs who rely on jucos, e.g. Mankato. My feeling is that if there's a potential impact player at a position of need and he's a good kid, then he should be recruited. I'd love to have another Mathews, but I want no part of a guy like Abrian Stovall (UNO via NDSCS). He was a good player but a thug, judging by his on-field behavior.

I'm not positive, but I believe the Minnesota A.P. player of the year, Jake Machacek from Eastview High in Apple Valley, visited UND this past weekend. I assume his speed has kept dI schools from seriously recruiting him, as I believe he runs somewhere in the 4.6 or 4.7 range in the 40. However, I do think he's potentially a very good NCC back. He put up huge numbers in high school.

Looks like Ryan Kasowski will be attending UND next year...He will be a Great One !.....Should be released Sometime Today or Tommorow....Love to watch Local Kids become Men...Great Job UND

Great news! From what I understand he's a really good kid and clearly an excellent football player. It would have really hurt to have lost him to Bubba.

UND Gets two more today....

Ross Cochran..6"2" 220 LBacker--From Bradford,HS, Kenosha, Wisc

Then a Div 1-AA Transfer From SDSU...

Taylor Murray 6"3" 310 OL...Originally from Cambridge , Minn..1 Year Eligibilty left

Cochran was rated as one of the top 20 prospects in Wisconsin prior to the season, link, and I understand he has excellent speed.

Murray was first team all-conference in the Great West. link.

Murray is no longer eligible for D-1 football due to the expiration of his five year clock which starts when you play your first year of college football. He redshirted then missed another season with an injury and therefore has a season of eligibility left but will be starting his six year. Seems like a stupid rule by the NCAA but I'm glad we got him. There is no five year clock in D2.

Cochran was rated as one of the top 20 prospects in Wisconsin prior to the season, link, and I understand he has excellent speed.

Murray was first team all-conference in the Great West. link.

1st Team all-conference in the Great West. That seems to me to be a pretty big pickup even if he only has one year of eligibility left. Should help the line next year.

1st Team all-conference in the Great West. That seems to me to be a pretty big pickup even if he only has one year of eligibility left. Should help the line next year.

I agree. If Braegelmann can come back at full strength, the line will be very talented with he, Troen and Murray each being all-conference caliber players, with a whole bunch of guys competing for the other two spots (Bauer, Bronson, Hoffelt, etc). Assuming he comes back for a 6th year, it may also allow Kusler to move back to tight end.

Jake Landry is going to be a Sioux.....This young Man Could be a Great QB....One of the best to Play at UND...He has Unlimited Potential...a Great Recruit

He definitely has a lot of ability. Anybody who saw Central's state title win can testify to that. That was one of the best games I've seen a high school quarterback have.