SiouxSports.com Forum

WJC is Hostile and Abusive in Canada!

WJCFAN

I went to the WJC tourney these last few weeks and was EXTREMELY disappointed in the audience (I won't say fans because "fans" do not act like this!) While those of you who enjoyed the WJC last year, myself included, there was an obvious presence of Canadian fans cheering for opposing US teams. Intensify that by 100 and that was Vancouver. While it's good to have a rivalry, it was over the top this year. I wore my USA jersey to all games and occaisonally got spit at, swore at and objects of unknown origin were also thrown at me. Chants saying, US Sucks, US a-holes, overrated (we may have deserved that one) and other signs and sayings I can't/won't say over internet. While I was waving the flag after a USA victory, I actually had two canadians come in front and behind me and wave the Canadian flags to drown out mine! NOTE: No canadian team was even playing that night! How ridiculous was this! After all the BS, I still cheered on Toews, as he's obviously a home town kid now. However, I was very disappointed to see Toews buying into the BS with his comments on playing against his teamates, especially Oshie. I'll try and post the article. I'm not sure if this has already been up here, but here it is anyways.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/sp...da7c7f7cd3d&p=2

The best part of the tourney (for me) was a sign displayed in one of the suites of American (and obviously UND parents) saying: "Univ of North Dakota Fighting Sioux is NOT hostile and abusive!". If the NCAA really wants to see hostile and abusive they should have went to this tournament. Unfortunately these poor hockey parents were continually flipped off and swore at during the games!

GO FIGHTING SIOUX AGAINST THOSE PESKY GOPHERS!!!

However, I was very disappointed to see Toews buying into the BS with his comments on playing against his teamates, especially

I couldn't disagree more. I read that article and think you are making a mountain of a mole hill. Toews comments were quite innocent and not mean spirited. Also know that Toews was there to win a championship as was Oshie, two conflicting goals.

Chants saying, US Sucks, US a-holes, overrated (we may have deserved that one) and other signs and sayings I can't/won't say over internet.

:D

This site maybe. But, trust me there is alot worse on the internet. ;):0

Is there more to this article than three paras. If not I don't understand what you are saying about Toews. Actually I think the article shows him for the player he is, mature beyond his years. It shows that he wasn't going to get into an exchange of words with anyone. It was not his role on Team Canada and he followed his coach's game plan to the letter.

Also judging Canada based on Vancouver fans is akin to judging Minnesota based on Gopher fans.

Kid was playing in the biggest tournament of his life, one he's dreamed of for years. He's playing for his country against teams from other countries, trying to maintain his focus on winning, and you expect him to yap with his opponent who just happens to be a teammate in another life? Plenty of time for that after the tournament is over. I don't see any big deal, and I like his focus.

Canadian fans sound like they are really mature.

But seriously, who was in The Ralph last year when they were drunk in the hallways yelling how they felt about the United States? From that display I expect nothing less when they actually host the tourney.......

Everyone seems to hate the United States, until they need us, then they are our best friend.

I remember one of the announcers talking about the display from the Canadian fans toward the United States players......and he said that these were kids playing a game, and you shouldn't show feelings for a government out on athletes.

Which reminds me, Athens 2004- I listened to members of the Gold Medal Winning women's soccer team not too long after they came back, talk about how they were told not to wear anything that suggested they were American's outside of the Olympic Village.......for their own safety.

Rulan Gardner was also given grief about taking a picture with an American flag in Athens.....and he said that he refused to put it away because a few people were offended by it.

I wonder how things will go in Italy......

Is there more to this article than three paras. If not I don't understand what you are saying about Toews. Actually I think the article shows him for the player he is, mature beyond his years. It shows that he wasn't going to get into an exchange of words with anyone. It was not his role on Team Canada and he followed his coach's game plan to the letter.

Yes, the link was to page 2. Just go back a page. BTW, the horrible comment was on page 2. :D

I wasn't trying to totally come down on Toews, but from great sources, he wouldn't talk to any of the Sioux players. Imagine how it felt to be in that tournament and get booed everytime you touch the puck or someone nearly hits you? I know for a fact that several of the players felt it was bush league for Toews to ignore them all week. Team Canada is for 2 weeks, Fighting sioux hockey is a band of brothers for years. I still like Toews but think that it is immaturity for him to not come up with something better than, "I just didn't want to give him the time of day". All I'm saying.

Or maybe I'm having trouble shaking the abuse from Canadians! :D

I'll feel better after we sweep Minnesota!

Canada is his home country and his sport the National pride...UND is a way station along the road (nothing more but HOPEFULLY not less!)...anyone ask what TJ said to him? Doesn't sound like Jonny was the one lipping off... He took the high road :D I'm sure there are no hard feelings...

and for crying out loud...so the Canadians were jerks! :D GET OVER IT!! Just because they weren't cheering for you....you cry like a bunch of babies! We were favored....we BLEW IT...and frankly deserved what we got! I'll offer my solution again....get your friends together and SCREAM LOUDER!!

Virg's article in the herald today was a major whine! UND can only WISH to have a house full of die-hard fans like the Canadians are! That would make the new Ralph as hostile to every other WCHA team as the old Ralph was. How many people who are bitching about the Canadians rudeness would join right in if UND hockey players were on the ice? I still hear "YOU SUCK s&!t" from the students at the new Ralph - that's "REAL CLASS!" also... :0 Stop being the pot calling the kettle black!

Do any of you posters know anything about the "Can-Am Cup" games? I don't know if they presently continue the tradition, but I have to believe that they do. I am most familiar with some of the games played in the mid to late 80's. They were competitions between members of Sioux hockey teams (Canadians vs Americans -- I don't know who would claim Spirko) and they could become quite high-spirited contests. They were usually played during times like long layoffs (Christmas or Thanksgiving), or between players left in GF when the team was playing a road game. These games were very competitive, but I don't think they ever were mean-spirited or based on controversial political attitudes of the countries involved.

From what I read about Toews-Oshie, etc., nothing is out of line there and nothing more should be made of it. I'm pretty sure that the players understand, so why try to make sometime controversial out of it. Now, they are all Fighting Sioux hockey teammates, and that's all that should matter.

I know for a fact that several of the players felt it was bush league for Toews to ignore them all week. Team Canada is for 2 weeks, Fighting sioux hockey is a band of brothers for years. I still like Toews but think that it is immaturity for him to not come up with something better than, "I just didn't want to give him the time of day". All I'm saying.

It didn't appear that any bad blood affected Toews and Oshie's ability to play together this weekend...

Do any of you posters know anything about the "Can-Am Cup" games? I don't know if they presently continue the tradition, but I have to believe that they do.

That game is still played each year. There was an article in the Herald about the game last season, which was played at the rink in University Park.

I don't see the big deal. Toews, Oshie, et al. were there to represent their countries, not their college team. Toews, given his age, etc., was probably trying to remain focused on the task at hand: Winning a gold medal. If anything, I think it shows a good deal of poise and maturity, and I really doubt the UND guys on the US squad would hold it against him.

As far as the "anti-US" chants, big deal. Canadians are always trying to get their older, richer and better looking cousin's attention. Much like SCCC and Minnesota.

"Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!" :D:0

recommend not wearing your "I Love the CIA" hoodie around town.
;)

How do you think Brent Sutter would react to "fraternizing with the enemy?" Not well, I'm guessing. Toews was smart to mind his own business. Now that he and Oshie have been reunited as linemates, it's time to start working some Sioux magic.

WJCFan, you obviously never played sports as a kid. If you had played, however, you would realize that friendships are thrown out the window when you are playing against one of your buddies. Just because you do or say something on the ice, floor, field, whatever, doesnt mean that you aren't friends off it. You are working for the same goal - a victory - so are you really going to be a nice guy to someone who wants you to lose?

I don't see the big deal. Toews, Oshie, et al. were there to represent their countries, not their college team. Toews, given his age, etc., was probably trying to remain focused on the task at hand: Winning a gold medal. If anything, I think it shows a good deal of poise and maturity, and I really doubt the UND guys on the US squad would hold it against him.

As far as the "anti-US" chants, big deal. Canadians are always trying to get their older, richer and better looking cousin's attention. Much like SCCC and Minnesota.

"Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!" :D:0

OR..., like Robin Williams has said, "Canada is like a loft apartment above a really great party. 'Keep it down, eh?'" ;)

Brothers have played head to head against each other. I'm sure neither got "the time of day" from the other during a game.

The WJC is a two-week long game.

For those two weeks Jonathan Toews was "Team Canada."

Now he's "Fighting Sioux" again.

I wasn't trying to totally come down on Toews, but from great sources, he wouldn't talk to any of the Sioux players. Imagine how it felt to be in that tournament and get booed everytime you touch the puck or someone nearly hits you? I know for a fact that several of the players felt it was bush league for Toews to ignore them all week. Team Canada is for 2 weeks, Fighting sioux hockey is a band of brothers for years. I still like Toews but think that it is immaturity for him to not come up with something better than, "I just didn't want to give him the time of day". All I'm saying.

Or maybe I'm having trouble shaking the abuse from Canadians! :D

I'll feel better after we sweep Minnesota!

First, I don't think you should believe every quote you read in a newspaper. Is this what Jon really said, or is this the way some reporter wanted it to sound? Since Jon is fluent in French, maybe he answered the question in French and this is the way the translation came out. :0

If Toews was at this tournament representing the US, then you'd have a story if he was ignoring his Sioux teammates. But he was representing the Canadian team. Were you expecting him to hang around the American hotel in his spare time? If I was the coach of the Canadian team and one of my players seemed to be chummy with his American buddies during this tournament, I think I'd question his commitment.

The Canadian team did a terrific job of preparing, and then executing the game plan. We did a terrific job of preparing for the Norwegians, and our top players showed that they could pile up the points against the Norske's, but other than that, it was pretty disappointing. I wish we would have had a few "Toews" on the American team who were willing to accept a role and play a team game. I didn't see Toews, or any of the Canadians, padding their stats against Norway. They were just concerned about playing their game. If we could have traded our "star" player for a "Toews", we probably would have been in the championship.

Other than Oshie, there weren't many positives for the US team. You have to hand it to TJ because for the first few games of the tournament he was asked to play a role on the third line, and provide a spark. And he did it very well. Then as the tournament went on, the coaches realized they needed him on the first line to create more offense, because other than against the cupcakes, the first line didn't have the grit to play against teams like the Russians and Canadians. If the other players on his line would have been willing to get their noses dirty, we could have beat the Russians. But evertime TJ ran over a Russian to create a play, there was nobody even close to the net to tip in his centering pass. ;)

Brothers have played head to head against each other. I'm sure neither got "the time of day" from the other during a game.

I believe Ryan and David Hale are a good example of this. If I remember right, one of them went home with a bloody nose. :D

We did a terrific job of preparing for the Norwegians, and our top players showed that they could pile up the points against the Norske's, but other than that, it was pretty disappointing.

It had to be doubly disappointing to Norwegian-Americans -- like you. :D

First, I don't think you should believe every quote you read in a newspaper. Is this what Jon really said, or is this the way .....snip..... TJ ran over a Russian to create a play, there was nobody even close to the net to tip in his centering pass. :D

It's a team game. Had Oshie finished one of his many chances against either the Swiss or Canadians the US would have had minimum silver in my opinion.

I do agree with your sentiment though. The US "star" should be disappointed with his output, but no more so or less so than the rest of his team.

It's a team game. Had Oshie finished one of his many chances against either the Swiss or Canadians the US would have had minimum silver in my opinion.

I do agree with your sentiment though. The US "star" should be disappointed with his output, but no more so or less so than the rest of his team.

I really don't want this to be a statement that comes off as kesel vs. Oshie or vice versa. I believe that phil "the thrill" is not the only player who should be blamed for lack of effort. Not making up excuses for not finishing, but TJ did put forth the effort every shift that much is apparent. I guess I would rather lose with the team playing as hard as they can, and missing some shots, than lose by a complete lack of effort.