SiouxSports.com Forum

Blais vs. Hakstol

cujo

Here is what I see:

Blais made them play as a "team" and not individual's and Blais got the most out of his players even if they were not as "talented" as they are this year. Arguably, this years squad has the most "talent" of any college hockey team in the last 20 years, but losing to UAA has got to be a low-point for Hakstol's career.

Please, lets not start this again. PCM, where is your now famous pic of the dog that often is useful on some threads on here...? Wake me up when this is over.

I am not so sure this is a route we want to go down. I am not ready to call for Hak's head after 1 1/2 seasons based on his performance last season. This is a young team and I don't think we can lay all of the blame at the feet of the coach. The players have to take ownership for this play this past weekend as well as this weekend. I not quite ready to push the panic button, but if we get swept by the Goofers next weekend, I will be in the Panic mode.

I still can't believe:

... that UND hired Gino Gasparini, what with Ned Harkness available and all.

... that "one if by land and two if by sea" actually worked.

... that the Persians fell for that Trojan horse thing.

... that people still wonder about Hakstol's ability to coach a winning team.

Hakstol shouldn't be judged until his contract is up.

Going into last year I thought he had a NCAA champion his first year. At the midpoint we all wondered if they were a tourney team. At the end Hakstol answered all questions about his ability to prepare a team for tourney play.

I also questioned whether or not Hakstol would still be able to get the top recruits without Blais as the head coach. That question has also been answered.

The only question that remains is whether he can successfully develop players and build championship team from the ground up. At this point I've pretty much conceded that he can.

Things will not be as easy for him as Blais made it seem in the late nineties. Both Big Ten schools have changed coaches and are paying complete attention to hockey again. Denver has re-established itself as a super power and CC is always tough. Not to mention UMD/SCSU/MSU are capable of throwing out very good seasons from time to time.

Hakstol shouldn't be judged until his contract is up.

Going into last year I thought he had a NCAA champion his first year. At the midpoint we all wondered if they were a tourney team. At the end Hakstol answered all questions about his ability to prepare a team for tourney play.

I also questioned whether or not Hakstol would still be able to get the top recruits without Blais as the head coach. That question has also been answered.

The only question that remains is whether he can successfully develop players and build championship team from the ground up. At this point I've pretty much conceded that he can.

Things will not be as easy for him as Blais made it seem in the late nineties. Both Big Ten schools have changed coaches and are paying complete attention to hockey again. Denver has re-established itself as a super power and CC is always tough. Not to mention UMD/SCSU/MSU are capable of throwing out very good seasons from time to time.

A logical response to an illogical thread.

I wish stupid threads were against the board's policy so the moderator could lock this one up.

Blais' most dominant teams in 1998 and 1999 failed to even make a Frozen Four.

2001-02 was a complete bust, as were too many of those freshmen.

Blais was a great coach, but hardly perfect. His last team probably should have won a championship and didn't make the Frozen Four.

I don't know all the answers but I'm hardly going to start giving Hak a negative comparison to Blais at this point.

Arguably, this years squad has the most "talent" of any college hockey team in the last 20 years...

1992-93 U. of Maine - 42 W 1 L 2 T

Player Name...................................GP G A Pts PIM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul Kariya................................... 39 25 75 100 12

Jim Montgomery................................ 45 32 63 95 40

Cal Ingraham.................................. 45 46 39 85 50

Chris Ferraro................................. 39 25 26 51 46

Mike Latendresse.............................. 40 21 30 51 22

Peter Ferraro................................. 36 18 32 50 106

Patrice Tardif................................ 45 23 25 48 22

Dave MacIsaac................................. 35 5 32 37 14

Eric Fenton................................... 31 21 15 36 76

Chris Imes.................................... 45 12 23 35 24

Matt Martin................................... 44 6 26 32 88

Kent Salfi.................................... 33 10 13 23 24

Justin Tomberlin.............................. 34 13 9 22 22

Martin Mercier................................ 39 11 8 19 23

Lee Saunders.................................. 42 7 12 19 40

Dave LaCouture................................ 43 8 6 14 78

Dan Murphy.................................... 44 0 11 11 56

Brad Purdie................................... 20 3 7 10 14

Jason Weinrich................................ 38 1 8 9 42

Andy Silverman................................ 37 1 7 8 56

Jamie Thompson................................ 16 3 1 4 10

Chuck Texeira................................. 13 1 3 4 16

Wayne Conlan.................................. 3 0 3 3 0

Garth Snow (G)................................ 23 0 3 3 6

Jacque Rodrigue............................... 2 0 2 2 2

Mike Dunham (G)............................... 25 0 2 2 0

Greg Hirsch (G)............................... 11 0 0 0 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totals 292 481 773 889

:D

Here is what I see:

Blais made them play as a "team" and not individual's and Blais got the most out of his players even if they were not as "talented" as they are this year. Arguably, this years squad has the most "talent" of any college hockey team in the last 20 years, but losing to UAA has got to be a low-point for Hakstol's career.

Yup, fire Hak... :D:D

I thought the 87 Sioux team had the most win at 40 and that was a NCAA record?

That is false...The UofMaine team did in fact go 42-1-2....Sorry to inform you that you are mistaken. Nowadays, with teams only playing so many games (on average, 40-45 games/year) it's almost impossible for teams in this day and age to achieve a 40-win season. That's what makes those 2 teams' records that more remarkable.