SiouxSports.com Forum

USA vs. RUSSIA

AZSIOUX

As far as the US team goes, I think Kessel performed way under expectations in this tournament. That sounds funny, as he leads the team in scoring, but take away the Norway game, and the truth comes out. He's been one of the most selfish players I've seen, and has tried to do too much on his own.

Your hatred for Kessel is well documented in these threads for months. You're incapable of observing a hockey game with unbiased eyes when it comes to Kessel. I think it is because he doesn't play for the Green but instead for the Gophers. Yes - the truth comes out - he still leads the team in scoring AFTER the Norway game.

If he doesn't score - he isn't any good and overhyped.

If he does score - he's selfish.

If he leads the team in assists (EVEN AFTER THE FIRST GAME) he's selfish.

If he doesn't lead the team in assists - he's most surely selfish.

It theres bad chemistry on the team - it's must be because of Kessel.

Let's see - Kessel isn't drafted yet - 18 years old. Let's compare him to all the other "great" players in this tournament:

1. Frolik / Czech Republic - - projected top 3-5 pick in 2006 NHL draft - 1 assist - minus 1 for tournament.

2. Toews / Canada - - - projected top 3 pick in 2006 NHL draft - 2 assists - 12 Canada players scored more.

3. Ryan / USA - - - #2 overall 2005 NHL draft pick - 2 goals and 3 assists - hardly noticeable.

Fact of the matter is - you've never ever said anything good about Kessel. I am quite confident you never will. Did Kessel or a friend of his egg your house when they were kids ? At least most knowledgeable Sioux fans are able to recognize the talent of Kessel and how instrumental he is for the team. Why not level your anger at someone like Ryan who the NHL thought was good enough to be a #2 draft choice ? He had a tough tournament by anyone's standards but you let him slide. It looks like a bad case of selective criticism to me.

We don't need to like Kessel - heck we can hate him if we like. But this continuous carping about Kessel about everything makes some look petty and chirlish. But - hey - keep at it - I'm sure this won't stop you.

Sioux fans can make up their own minds on Kessel - we don't need your constant digs.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your love for Kessel is well documented in these threads for a month. You're incapable of observing a hockey game without wanting to jump on kessel at every second.

We don't like Kessel - heck we don't need to like him. and this continuous lovefest about Kessel about everything makes you look pretty anti-sioux. But - hey - keep at it - I'm sure this won't stop you.

Sioux fans can make up their own minds on Kessel - we don't need your constant butt-kissing.

I disagree. If that were the case, wouldn't the American fans have been cheering wildly against Canada last year? I didn't notice any of that. If there is a hated rivalry between Canada and USA, it is pretty much one-sided.

Who is to say why someone SHOULD or SHOULDN'T cheer for anyone else? It's the same old debate about whether WCHA team's fans should cheer for other WCHA teams in the playoffs. To each their own, IMO.

Your hatred for Kessel is well documented in these threads for months. You're incapable of observing a hockey game with unbiased eyes when it comes to Kessel. I think it is because he doesn't play for the Green but instead for the Gophers. Yes - the truth comes out - he still leads the team in scoring AFTER the Norway game.

Let's see - Kessel isn't drafted yet - 18 years old. Let's compare him to all the other "great" players in this tournament:

1. Frolik / Czech Republic - - projected top 3-5 pick in 2006 NHL draft - 1 assist - minus 1 for tournament.

2. Toews / Canada - - - projected top 3 pick in 2006 NHL draft - 2 assists - 12 Canada players scored more.

3. Ryan / USA - - - #2 overall 2005 NHL draft pick - 2 goals and 3 assists - hardly noticeable.

Fact of the matter is - you've never ever said anything good about Kessel. I am quite confident you never will. Did Kessel or a friend of his egg your house when they were kids ? At least most knowledgeable Sioux fans are able to recognize the talent of Kessel and how instrumental he is for the team. Why not level your anger at someone like Ryan who the NHL thought was good enough to be a #2 draft choice ? He had a tough tournament by anyone's standards but you let him slide. It looks like a bad case of selective criticism to me.

We don't need to like Kessel - heck we can hate him if we like. But this continuous carping about Kessel about everything makes some look petty and chirlish. But - hey - keep at it - I'm sure this won't stop you.

Sioux fans can make up their own minds on Kessel - we don't need your constant digs.

You can look back on all other threads, and you will find that I've never posted anything negative regarding Phil Kessel. I think he's played very well with the Gophers this year, and has contributed to their team, which is why I've never made any negative posts towards the guy. I don't know him personally, and no, he's never egged my house. I'm a hockey fan. I watch each individual player, and form an opinion. I share that opinion when I feel inclined to do so. I do not expect everyone to agree with my opinion, as that is what makes the human race so unique. However, I stick by my opinion that he has not performed up to expectations in this tournament. Currently, he is predicted to go #1 in the upcoming NHL draft. You look at the last two years #1 NHL draft choices, and they both performed well in this tournament. He's tried basically the same move on defenseman throughout this tournament, and has failed miserably, giving up scoring opportunities for Team USA. I am not looking at Kessel through green glasses, but rather, red, white, and blue glasses. He has not been the best player on the ice in the tournament, or even on his own team, yet analysts continually hyped him to be the "guy to watch" on this team. I've given each player on Team USA mutual respect throughout the majority of the tournament, to include Kessel and Paukovich, two players who don't sit well with Sioux fans. I've defended players such as Bobby Ryan when other posters stated they did not think he performed well. I don't hate Kessel. In all reality, I have a lot of respect for the guy. I simply stated that I believe he performed below expectations. Don't group Sioux fans together simply because we're Sioux fans. Get to know a person before you make any assumptions.

THe US forecheck was certainly effective on Christmas Day a year ago. Was missing in action last night, except for in the second period, and then done mostly by the 4th line. When individual players try to do it themselves on every rush and turn over the puck long before they get it in deep, there is no chance to get the forecheck going.

That Comment by Oshie is looking a little more prescient now...

With that adjustment underway, Oshie only sees one further obstacle for the American team, one that has to be controlled internally.

Oshie sees that while each player comes from a club where they

We don't like Kessel - heck we don't need to like him. and this continuous lovefest about Kessel about everything makes you look pretty anti-sioux.

Let's see - - If I don't "hate" kessel I'm anti Sioux and in a lovefest with him. You gotta love the brilliance of that logic. That's what I like best about this forum, I get to discuss things with people who probably don't have their GED.

Don't jump on Kessel hating bandwagon > Anti Sioux.

Don't jump on the Canadian hating bandwagon > Anti American ?

I can hardly wait for the next intelligent response. I'm sure they'll only get better. I'm giddy with excitement.

You can look back on all other threads, and you will find that I've never posted anything negative regarding Phil Kessel. I think he's played very well with the Gophers this year, and has contributed to their team, which is why I've never made any negative posts towards the guy. I don't know him personally, and no, he's never egged my house. I'm a hockey fan. I watch each individual player, and form an opinion. I share that opinion when I feel inclined to do so. I do not expect everyone to agree with my opinion, as that is what makes the human race so unique. However, I stick by my opinion that he has not performed up to expectations in this tournament. Currently, he is predicted to go #1 in the upcoming NHL draft. You look at the last two years #1 NHL draft choices, and they both performed well in this tournament. He's tried basically the same move on defenseman throughout this tournament, and has failed miserably, giving up scoring opportunities for Team USA. I am not looking at Kessel through green glasses, but rather, red, white, and blue glasses. He has not been the best player on the ice in the tournament, or even on his own team, yet analysts continually hyped him to be the "guy to watch" on this team. I've given each player on Team USA mutual respect throughout the majority of the tournament, to include Kessel and Paukovich, two players who don't sit well with Sioux fans. I've defended players such as Bobby Ryan when other posters stated they did not think he performed well. I don't hate Kessel. In all reality, I have a lot of respect for the guy. I simply stated that I believe he performed below expectations. Don't group Sioux fans together simply because we're Sioux fans. Get to know a person before you make any assumptions.

I very much respect and appreciate your intelligent and mature response. Well said.

You're right - I made assumptions and was obviously wrong.

Please accept my apology.

Wow...There is alot of Kessel bashing. But, if he was a Sioux player, he would be the greatest player ever!! Go figure. So, will you please keep your pathetic comments for J. Toews (who to me is just as average as Kessel is to the SIOUX fans) turned down a notch? He is AVERAGE, afterall...

Wow...There is alot of Kessel bashing. But, if he was a Sioux player, he would be the greatest player ever!! Go figure. So, will you please keep your pathetic comments for J. Toews (who to me is just as average as Kessel is to the SIOUX fans) turned down a notch? He is AVERAGE, afterall...

Ah Dennis Hextall, one of the early great Canadians to star for the Sioux. :lol:

On another note, the USA is currently playing Team Quebec in the Under 17 Gold Medal Game on TSN. The game is in Regina, Saskatchewan and I proud to report that I haven't heard a single boo from the Canadian fans towards either team. Slight edge in cheering for the Quebec team that features Esposito. It is 2-1 for Team Quebec late in the second period.

Ah Dennis Hextall, one of the early great Canadians to star for the Sioux. :lol:

On another note, the USA is currently playing Team Quebec in the Under 17 Gold Medal Game on TSN. The game is in Regina, Saskatchewan and I proud to report that I haven't heard a single boo from the Canadian fans towards either team. Slight edge in cheering for the Quebec team that features Esposito. It is 2-1 for Team Quebec late in the second period.

Looks like Quebec has won it 5-2. Check out my post on Sioux Recruits, i.e. Colin Wilson.

You responding every time to this is only feeding it. So I suggest you just ignore it rather than give a lecture. I would hope most people would know absurd comments when they hear them, and someone will most likely respond to it anyway, but in most cases ignoring it is the best way to go. I guess I'm the one giving the lecture now instead of ignoring, but I don't think your comments are absurd.

Edited by tnt

I don't think people really dislike phil. I think everyone who knows hockey is aware of phil's talent. However, I think the point people are trying to make is that they bill him as the next "big thing", and sometimes he dissapoints. Is he selfish, probably not, I felt against the czeck's he passed up some opportunities. Does he try to do too much by himself sometimes, yes. That's what I think people mean when they say selfish. Am I a fan of phil's, not really, and I don't see a problem there either. To bearman I say this. Many times people who don't know the game of hockey base a players performance soley on what the stat sheet says. You need to get over the fact that phil had more points than anyone else on Team USA and watch the little nuances that some of the other players bring to the game. By your logic, a player who scores the most is the best player, I'm here to tell you you are very wrong about that. Now call me childish and immature, and whatever else it is that you usually do when someone disagree's with you or presents a point of view that may not be "popular". Keep in mind that you come to this board of your own free will, and if it bothers you what people say about phil, maybe try another, like GPL where people are a little more enthusiastic about him.

I don't think people really dislike phil. I think everyone who knows hockey is aware of phil's talent. However, I think the point people are trying to make is that they bill him as the next "big thing", and sometimes he dissapoints. Is he selfish, probably not, I felt against the czeck's he passed up some opportunities. Does he try to do too much by himself sometimes, yes. That's what I think people mean when they say selfish. Am I a fan of phil's, not really, and I don't see a problem there either. To bearman I say this. Many times people who don't know the game of hockey base a players performance soley on what the stat sheet says. You need to get over the fact that phil had more points than anyone else on Team USA and watch the little nuances that some of the other players bring to the game. By your logic, a player who scores the most is the best player, I'm here to tell you you are very wrong about that. Now call me childish and immature, and whatever else it is that you usually do when someone disagree's with you or presents a point of view that may not be "popular". Keep in mind that you come to this board of your own free will, and if it bothers you what people say about phil, maybe try another, like GPL where people are a little more enthusiastic about him.

This post hits the nail right on the head and a perfect example in the Pros is Jagr. Definitely one of the most talented players in the game and usually leads the NHL in scoring. However, he eventually poisons every locker room he graces and how many Stanley Cups has he won without Super Mario? Zero!

This post hits the nail right on the head and a perfect example in the Pros is Jagr. Definitely one of the most talented players in the game and usually leads the NHL in scoring. However, he eventually poisons every locker room he graces and how many Stanley Cups has he won without Super Mario? Zero!

You bring up Jagr - talk about a player hated by other teams' fans. My husband and I saw him play in Philadelphia last year and every single time he hit the ice the entire arena broke into wolf whistles. (Pretty boy of hockey.) It was hilarious. :lol:

TSiouxnami,

Funny you raise the subject. In Philly, Jagr is known as Jagirl. While in Pitts he had a reputation of quitting in games against the Flyers and never really seemed to hurt the Flyers as much as some other players. For some reason, the most worthless piece of crap defenseman to ever play the game, Chris Therien, has always been able to shut down Jagirl in Philly. Makes no sense but it is true.

For the record, Jagr is just slightly behind Darcy Tucker and Martin Havlat in the category of most despised opponent in Flyerland.

To bearman I say this. Many times people who don't know the game of hockey base a players performance soley on what the stat sheet says. You need to get over the fact that phil had more points than anyone else on Team USA and watch the little nuances that some of the other players bring to the game. By your logic, a player who scores the most is the best player, I'm here to tell you you are very wrong about that.

No where have I said Kessel was the best player in the tournament nor, for that matter, the best player on the USA team. No where have I associated point scoring with the best player. To point, no where have I even discussed the "best player". I have simply made references to the other top potential draft picks for 2006 to add context and comparisons to show that we are holding Kessel to a much higher and more ridiculous standard than those other guys. Despite what you may think, and I won't go into detail, I know a lot more about hockey than you assume.

I mentioned Kessel is leading the team in assists ONLY to show how silly the argument is that he is selfish. Imagine what people would be saying if he and Borgue switched goals and assists ?

BTW, IMO - Oshie was the best player on the ice for the USA in terms of how hard he worked, the penalties he drew, his creating scoring chances, and all the intangibles he brought to the team.

Nevertheless, we still need Kessel for his scoring potential. Yes, he has 2 worn out moves that everyone knows (the toe drag and put the puck between defense legs and jump around) But if Kessel scores the hattie tonight and the USA wins, I will not brag him up - promise. I just would sincerely hope if he would get the hattie (very unlikely I might add) I would see Sioux fans be complimentary.

You bring up Jagr - talk about a player hated by other teams' fans. My husband and I saw him play in Philadelphia last year and every single time he hit the ice the entire arena broke into wolf whistles. (Pretty boy of hockey.) It was hilarious. :lol:

Kessel really does remind me of Jagirl. He doesn't backcheck and waits outside the blueline for the rest of the team to do the dirty work.

[.

3. Ryan / USA - - - #2 overall 2005 NHL draft pick - 2 goals and 3 assists - hardly noticeable

bearman, quit blaming myself as well as other Sioux fans for holding kessel to a higher standard. We never put him on the pedestal, that was done by USA Hockey, the media, scouts, ect. For someone that is constantly telling others to grow up and act like adults you sure are quick to allude to the level of someone else's intelligence. In fact, I think you're ALMOST, a bigger whiner than slappy. At least he has an excuse being a gopher sympathizer. In any case I dismiss most of your post as incoherent ramblings on how immature and childish other's are that post here. Again, you come here of your own free will if you don't like the OPINIONS expressed simply don't subject yourself to this horrific torture. So go ahead, call me childish, immature, stupid. Add to that list fat, bald, ugly, short, and disrespectful.