SiouxSports.com Forum

What a joke

01grad

These holiday games are so pointless. I know they have to play non-conference games, but the matchups are really pathetic. I was watching some of the gopher game and it is just a laugher. I feel bad for Union because they suck so bad and shouldn't be humiliated. I know they probably chose to play in the tourney and it is their fault, but the players don't seem to be enjoying it and fans are very sparse. The games just get chippy once they are out of hand. Our Sioux games will only be close because our best players will be absent. I think they should work around the holidays and the Jr. tourney and just try to schedule a WCHA series during the week since most colleges have 3 weeks vacation. These ECAC games are a joke. If they are going to have these get togethers, at least pair up good teams against each other such as the perennial powers playing in different places each year. That would be more interesting. Also, what ever happened to that Subway tourney I thought they started up in G.F.?

Maybe some of you will have some feedback on why they do this every year.

Though I started this post well before the Sioux lost tonight, I still think this is a joke. Each WCHA team should play each other 4 times and they could schedule non-conference games around these. There has to be a way to work schedules so players that are absent don't hurt the teams chances to win games. If we would have had a full team, there is a great chance that it may have been a laugher.

Who is next on the schedule for the Gophers, is it the Edina Pee Wee B team? Perhaps more of a challange than Union was!

Next year, I think the Gophers should upgrade and stop playing the Mariucci Classic and start playing the Schwan's Cup!

I can see it now...

Bloomington Jefferson vs Minnesota Gophers

Holy Angels vs Moorhead

Even Dougie Woog mentioned last night that in the early-to-mid 1990's, there were some very good opponents brought into the "Dodge Mariucci Classic." As far as I'm concerned, the only meaningful tournaments during the regular season are the Great Lakes Invitational and the Beanpot. That and the "showdown" of Minnesota/Michigan/Wisconsin/Michigan State is worth watching, too, although not a traditional "tournament".

Even Dougie Woog mentioned last night that in the early-to-mid 1990's, there were some very good opponents brought into the "Dodge Mariucci Classic."

I agree that Union is a joke, but UML when signed appeared to be a better opponent than they have turned out to be so far this season. And to be fair to Lucia's Gophers, they played NMU in 2004, UNH in 2003, BC in 2002, Providence in 2001, LSSU in 2000 and Harvard and NMU in 1999. Not necessarily the greatest opponents on the plaent I suppose, but for a holiday season tournament in which the opponent has to be willing to travel to play, it's not that bad. :lol:

The Gophers and their fans deserve all the crap they can take for this so called tournament. I remember a few years ago when they were ripping us on our quality of competition. Now they can't get anyone decent to their *snicker* tournament.

And to be fair to Lucia's Gophers, they played NMU in 2004, UNH in 2003, BC in 2002, Providence in 2001, LSSU in 2000 and Harvard and NMU in 1999. Not necessarily the greatest opponents on the plaent I suppose, but for a holiday season tournament in which the opponent has to be willing to travel to play, it's not that bad. :lol:

UNH in 2003 = Frozen Four semi-finalist

BC in 2002 = Defending National Champion

Sounds like pretty good competition to me.

The Gophers and their fans deserve all the crap they can take for this so called tournament. I remember a few years ago when they were ripping us on our quality of competition. Now they can't get anyone decent to their *snicker* tournament.

hey, Canisius IS in the tourney! :lol:

WPoS

No Gopher fan is going to disagree with this being a week overall tournament, but it's hard to feel guilty given where the Gophers have ranked in terms of overall SOS the past several years. :lol:

Gophers playing powerhouse Niagara tonight :lol: Kessel and Wheeler both in the lineup. Arrived in MSP today about noon, supposedly rested up this afternoon, and are in the lineup for tonight. See if Kessel performs better tonight than he did in the WJC. Niagara coming off an upset of New Hampshire. Let's hope for a win for the Purple Dudes!