SiouxSports.com Forum

So, if logos cause racism...

PCM

This column from canadaeast.com tells of an incident at a Canadian hockey game in which fans of an opposing team directed racial slurs against the visiting team's Ojibwa head coach.

Moncton head coach Ted Nolan, an Ojibwa from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., listened to fans yelling racial slurs throughout the game. Then, as he and the Wildcats left the rink to board their bus afterward, a large group of fans hurled insults and some looked interested in fighting.
"I thought this stuff happened in the 1940s," he said. "I mean the racial slurs that we listened to throughout the game were just disgusting. It was really a bad night. I thought this kind of stuff happened a long, long time ago. It brings back a lot of bad memories. That's what it does.

"I thought hockey was for everybody. I didn't think you had to be a French Canadian to play in this league or coach in this league. It's really sad. It's a sad statement for this league and a sad statement for hockey in general. Maybe in the 1940s this stuff was prevalent, but in modern day there is no place for it."

Using NCAA logic, Nolan and all other minority coaches should be banned from hockey. After all, it's their presence at the games that caused fans to engage in racist behavior, creating a hostile and abusive environment.

This column from canadaeast.com tells of an incident at a Canadian hockey game in which fans of an opposing team directed racial slurs against the visiting team's Ojibwa head coach.

Using NCAA logic, Nolan and all other minority coaches should be banned from hockey. After all, it's their presence at the games that caused fans to engage in racist behavior, creating a hostile and abusive environment.

Interesting article about a few American Indians that have a different take on things.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_3317763

The article doesn't mention if these guys are enrolled members of their tribes, so I really don't know whether I should be giving them any credibility.

And do any of them look "Indian" enough for GrahamKracker? We need to know that, too.

And do any of them look "Indian" enough for GrahamKracker? We need to know that, too.

I think we need to know what criteria GrahamKracker uses when he gives or denies his stamp of approval on 'looking Indian'. We can then accurately judge people by their ethnic appearance.

Quite interesting on may levels... Ted Nolan is a great coach and did, still should be coaching in the NHL.

He is from Sault Ste. Marie, which is pronounced "Sioux Saint Marie". People from there say they are from the Sue/Sioux.

And Yes that mask is seriously sweet.

Edited by Bacardio

That mask is bada$$. One of the Sioux goalies needs to "borrow" that design. :lol:

That is a beautiful mask.

I've been wondering what happenned to Ted Nolan. I think the NHL needs his mullet back. If I'm not mistaken, he's had a lot of off-the-ice battles and I'm sure he'll overcome this one as well.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/103...2003-74982.html

Ted Nolan now does for Native American youth what he once did for NHL players - instilling in them goals and vision.

As fulfilling as his current role is as a motivational speaker, Nolan wouldn't mind getting his old job back as a head coach in the NHL.

"I'm interested. I've put the word out that I'm interested," Nolan said Wednesday. "But no one's paying me to coach right now, so you've got to make a living."

They are more indian than you, that's for sure. As for who they are, they are doing good, but what does this even have to do w/ the situation here at UND? They ARE Native, are YOU? So what's the point?

I bet LaFranz, or whatever the his name is, isn't touring any reservations (besides his dads, even then I bet he has nothing to do w/ the Flandreau people.) If he did, we'd probably hear more from them standing up for UND, but I haven't

They are more indian than you, that's for sure. As for who they are, they are doing good, but what does this even have to do w/ the situation here at UND? They ARE Native, are YOU? So what's the point?

I bet LaFranz, or whatever the his name is, isn't touring any reservations (besides his dads, even then I bet he has nothing to do w/ the Flandreau people.) If he did, we'd probably hear more from them standing up for UND, but I haven't

So GK doesn't get the point of the whole thread, well, as proven here time after time, what's new? That's ok, maybe someone can go over it with him and explain to him why the first article was posted in the first place.

As to these young men, they are not just playing hockey. They are sharing their experiences and accomplishements off the rez to young Native Americans. They're not perpetuating the 'the white man is mean to me, the white man is keeping me down, the white man disrespects me, etc. mantra.' They're telling these youth that there's a lot more available to them off the rez if they want to go for it. GK's right for once, they are doing good. It's something he can spend his energy on instead of blaming a schools name and logo for all the injustices of the world.

AND it's Ranfranz, Marc Ranfranz, R A, N, F, R, A, N, Z, Ranfranz. I don't believe he's stopped having anything to do with the Flandreau people after they so supported him when he was a Fighting Sioux goalie;

"My family and friends are the ones who support me the most," he says. "My dad's been to games up here. My aunts and uncles call me constantly, e-mail me and ask me how things are going. They want to see me play. They want to come up and see the arena." http://www.uscho.com/news/id,5487/ASiouxPerspective.html

But what do I know, I'm not Native.

They ARE Native, are YOU? So what's the point?

Do you understand this point?

Not all Sioux oppose 'Fighting Sioux' name

FORT YATES, N.D. - I am just sick and tired of this issue. And what really makes me ticked is the fact that the people who really are pushing this issue in Grand Forks are not even Sioux. I am Sioux, and so are a lot of my friends and family, and we don't see what is so wrong with using the name.

As many of us who can remember when we were in high school, the opposing team always, I mean always, made fun or called us names. It's just a fact of nature and sports.

Last week, a friend of mine from Standing Rock visited UND. She was so impressed with the school and the people, she assured me she will support UND and its efforts.

We also were in agreement on how many Chippewa were fighting against the Sioux name. My thoughts were, if UND was the Fighting Chippewa, would they still try to change it? It is known that Chippewa and the Sioux people have a long, negative history and never have gotten along. Maybe this is the issue? It's only a thought.

My opinion is, UND keep up the good work, and we will all continue to support you.

Barbara Lee

This just in from Madison, Wisconsin:

Schools asked to drop Indian team names

State superintendent cites discrimination

Here is the link to the Pioneer Press article.

Interesting that the schools are being asked to change their Indian names and logos and are being asked to prove they do not promote discrimination and stereotypes. Why ask for the change if they have yet to prove they do promote discrimination and stereotypes?