SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney...oshie, lee, chorney, toews

AZSIOUX

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That must have been Adams twin brother as referee. But seriously, for those of you who thought the TSN analysts were throwing up a smokescreen about how Canada would fare, it was there for all to see tonight. The young Canadian team struggled to defeat an older team of Swiss players who for the most part play in the Swiss Pro League. I hope they can at least medal for the fans in Vancouver.

Sioux_Hab-it....did you happen to watch the game? I was only able to catch the audiocast of it; was the officiating as wretched as it sounded?

I've been watching this tourney (and international hockey period) long enough that I've come to expect "unorthodox" officiating, particularly from European officials, but tonight it sounded worse than usual.

What a list of penalties in the third. Looks like Norway's (Hoygard) received a triple minor plus a misconduct with 6 seconds left in the game, Grafsronnigan gets a double minor plus a misconduct, and Jensen a double minor and misconduct. Canada's Pyatt a double minor, and O'Marra a minor and misconduct. Most of the minors were roughing; must have been some kind of scrum. UFF-DA

What a list of penalties in the third. Looks like Norway's (Hoygard) received a triple minor plus a misconduct with 6 seconds left in the game, Grafsronnigan gets a double minor plus a misconduct, and Jensen a double minor and misconduct. Canada's Pyatt a double minor, and O'Marra a minor and misconduct. Most of the minors were roughing; must have been some kind of scrum. UFF-DA

Listening to the audio, it sounded like Norway took a run at Pogge (Canada's goalie) at the buzzer and Pyatt got into a fight as a result. Judging by what the announcers said, Pyatt is fortunate he (and his opponent) wasn't given a fighting major, which would have resulted in him missing the U.S. game on Saturday.

Sioux_Hab-it....did you happen to watch the game? I was only able to catch the audiocast of it; was the officiating as wretched as it sounded?

I've been watching this tourney (and international hockey period) long enough that I've come to expect "unorthodox" officiating, particularly from European officials, but tonight it sounded worse than usual.

Yes I did watch the game and the referee was by far the worst. Both the Canadian and Norwegian coaches were shocked at the number of calls and expressed their concern as to what this Russian Ref would do to a Medal game. Just to give you an idea of how ridiculous it got the Canadian fans even started booing some of the calls against the Norwegians. The fans were upset because they pay alot of money to watch the game and very little of it was played at even strength. At least Toews did look solid and he was awarded his second assist upon review of the third goal I do believe.

Edited by Sioux_Hab-it

is toews required to wear a facemask because of his age or can they choose to wear a full cage if they want. also i noticed toews is wearing a neck gaurd as well, is this by choice or required..maybe someone kows about this. thanks...

toews_77219.jpg

is toews required to wear a facemask because of his age or can they choose to wear a full cage if they want. also i noticed toews is wearing a neck gaurd as well, is this by choice or required..maybe someone kows about this. thanks...

toews_77219.jpg

I believe in International hockey those under 18 have to wear a face cage......I believe Kessel wore one last year at the World Juniors......not sure about the neck guard, although it used to be a madatory piece of equipment in youth hockey.

toews_77219.jpg

Yes, both are required for players under 18. Brian Lee wore both last year.

Yes I did watch the game and the referee was by far the worst. Both the Canadian and Norwegian coaches were shocked at the number of calls and expressed their concern as to what this Russian Ref would do to a Medal game. Just to give you an idea of how ridiculous it got the Canadian fans even started booing some of the calls against the Norwegians.

Was it the same Russian schmuck who called the USA-Norway game and the 90 million penalties?

What are the prices? They block E-Bay here.

Remember the prices Crosby's stuff went for last year and then they had to pull it because his was stolen?

Edited by Air Force One

On the TV schedule on the USA Hockey site, today's game vs Canada is listed as tape-delayed on FSN. On the front page, the story states it's live on FSN. Wonder which one is right?

Edit: Would appear from the directtv schedule that it's delayed on FSN-MN (641), following the Wild/Canucks game. However, it's listed as live on the FSN-Wisco alternate (642).

Good lead in article for todays game on TSN. More praise for Toews and it lists the USA as Canada's main international hockey rival so now you understand why the fans in Vancouver were hoping for upsets. Based on what we have seen so far this should be a great game with plenty of goals.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story/?ID=148783&hubname=