SiouxSports.com Forum

PreGame Thoughts for Game#2

DGH

The REA was rocking last night and I believe that is getting closer to the atmosphere RE envisioned. Not sure about anyone else, but I would love to see the students seated behind the opposing goalie for 2-periods and in an area behind the opposing team to further enhance the atmosphere.

I wouldn't be surprised if JPar has "STOA" tatooed on his forehead today. The freshman Ryan Stoa was a key factor last night and I hope collectively the Sioux can do a far more consistent job of moving him out from in front of the goalie area. For sure make him pay for wanting to be in the area. Of course, it's a good idea to have someone covering Irmen when he is coming out of the penalty box!

A key factor for a victory tonight is for all Sioux players (and fans) to put on the ole hard hat, fill the lunch pail, and be prepared to out work the opponent until the final horn sounds. The players (and fans) are more than capable of executing this game plan and if so, the Sioux will win tonight (as it's meant to be)!

SIOUX BETCHA! GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

I think UND needs to come out focused and stay out the penalty box.

Also, I hope they guys move their feet tonight, get on Briggs and lets score some goals. The kid is not a good goaltender at all and last night Briggs is was not good either and the shot he stopped last night were logo killers, over the Sioux shot them at pipes.

I feel that game last night was given away, merry friggen christmas Minnesota.

Now I wish Stafford would put in a 100 percent effort every shift every night.

Someone mentioned that he should be on a milk carton as missing I thought that was classic.

Not making any excuses for the Sioux but the officials have to be more consistant in calling Penalties, Irman's check on big Mike last night was dirty and should have been a penalty like others had mentioned.

If that had been Smaby, Matt would have been sent to the showers.

I almost wish we were playing on the road were UND is like 6-1-1 and UND is some thing like 4-4 at home. So much for home cooking eh?

I think UND needs to come out focused and stay out the penalty box.

Also, I hope they guys move their feet tonight, get on Briggs and lets score some goals. The kid is not a good goaltender at all and last night Briggs is was not good either and the shot he stopped last night were logo killers, over the Sioux shot them at pipes.

I feel that game last night was given away, merry friggen christmas Minnesota.

Now I wish Stafford would put in a 100 percent effort every shift every night.

Someone mentioned that he should be on a milk carton as missing I thought that was classic.

Not making any excuses for the Sioux but the officials have to be more consistant in calling Penalties, Irman's check on big Mike last night was dirty and should have been a penalty like others had mentioned.

If that had been Smaby, Matt would have been sent to the showers.

I almost wish we were playing on the road were UND is like 6-1-1 and UND is some thing like 4-4 at home. So much for home cooking eh?

Look for Frazee to start tonight for the Gophers. Lucia mentioned last night prior to the game that he wanted both goalies to play for now. Unless he has a change in heart, I expect to see him. As for the Sioux, it will be an interesting call. It's Lammy's turn, but I have a feeling that Hak will go with JPar again. Just a feeling though. Maybe I'll be wrong on both calls...wouldn't be the first time ;)

Look for Frazee to start tonight for the Gophers. Lucia mentioned last night prior to the game that he wanted both goalies to play for now. Unless he has a change in heart, I expect to see him. As for the Sioux, it will be an interesting call. It's Lammy's turn, but I have a feeling that Hak will go with JPar again. Just a feeling though. Maybe I'll be wrong on both calls...wouldn't be the first time ;)

Lammy didn't play against Tech.

A lot of things went wrong Friday, and we still almost won.

I think we showed great patience letting Minnesota bump the puck around the perimeter, while not taking penalties and not letting very many great scoring chances. That all needs to continue.

The penalties we did take, however, were a mix of stupid/avoidable and Shep falling for a Gopher dive instead of calling the dive. The avoidable needs to change.

We didn't pressure MN's sluggish defensemen much nor did we put enough pucks on Briggs. We need to be more willing to chase, and more coordinated on the chase ... lot of times the puck was dumped where we weren't.

Overall, this team is well ahead of where I thought we'd be at this time, but tonight is a big game. If we want a shot at the NCAA later on, instead of watching the West regional from the stands, tonight is a key game. Team and fans better show up.

Go SIOUX!!!

I have got to say I tried to watch Kessel last night & I was impressed ;) never really noticed Wheeler

I hate to admidt that but he is good ;)

Wheeler only had one good chance, and it was a long shot. He tried a backhand on Parise's shortside. It wasn't a clear breakaway, but he did get in front of the defenseman. If bounces were going his way, the puck could have rolled up Parise and into the net. I was glad to see it didn't. Kessel played his game, and as much as people hate him, the kid's got talent. Regardless of thoughts on Irmen, his presence was felt in last nights game, as was Potulny's. The last few times they've come to GF, they've been on the score sheet. We need to shut the two of them down tonight. I'm hoping the Sioux have more of a jump in their step tonight, especially in the first period. That first goal :58 into the game hurt us. We need Stafford to play a stronger game, and I'm sure he knows that. We also need everyone else to give 100%.

Wheeler only had one good chance, and it was a long shot. He tried a backhand on Parise's shortside. It wasn't a clear breakaway, but he did get in front of the defenseman. If bounces were going his way, the puck could have rolled up Parise and into the net. I was glad to see it didn't. Kessel played his game, and as much as people hate him, the kid's got talent. Regardless of thoughts on Irmen, his presence was felt in last nights game, as was Potulny's. The last few times they've come to GF, they've been on the score sheet. We need to shut the two of them down tonight. I'm hoping the Sioux have more of a jump in their step tonight, especially in the first period. That first goal :58 into the game hurt us. We need Stafford to play a stronger game, and I'm sure he knows that. We also need everyone else to give 100%.

I've seen Kessel play quite a bit this year on TV - as much as we don't like it - he is the real deal. Great speed and great shot. I heard that he has twice as many shots as the next gopher player. He is very dangerous on the power play and I sure hope we stay out of the penalty box tonight.

I wished I felt better about our chances tonight.