SiouxSports.com Forum

Chip On Shoulder

Taz Boy

UND player does it it is cool, Gopher does it, it is showboating/being over the top...

When Wally played for DU, I used to LOVE his antics, even from an opposing player. Was Metcalf's "shh" in 2002FF any worse? I thought UND fans had thicker skin...

Grow up people....

WPoS

I would have been equally disgusted had a Sioux player done it, WPoS.

Considering that the 2002 Frozen Four crowd was "50/50" (at least according to Don Lucia's hearing-impaired estimate), Metcalf's "shh" was over the top too. Don't get me started on the non-calls on Hauser in OT though.

The thing to keep in mind here is that this is a game in December. I'm sure Gopher fans can easily be reminded of how it's more important to be playing well come February or March than it is now.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to check and make sure I was watching a hockey game after Irmen's jersey thing - I though only the most obnoxious NBA players pulled that crap.

Irmen is a chip off his old man's block, which is too bad because the women in that family are some of the nicest people I've ever met. How he and his dad are such complete a-holes is beyond me.

That was one of the dirtiest hits I've ever seen, totally uncalled for. Kudos to Shepard for having the balls to call the two penalties at the same time, although that one was so obvious he didn't have much of a choice.

Jpar's penalty was almost as dumb, and just as costly. I hope to see Lammy in net tonight, not for poor performance, but for taking such a stupid penalty. Based on the play from the other two GF natives, Lammy should have a great game. ;)

It is one thing to make evaluative statements about what players do on the ice and quite another to make "low brow" comments about a parent. If you have those sorts of feelings they are best kept to yourself. If this message board is going to sink to the level where a parent of a player is typified with such low class language then I think we are in sad shape. If that type of comment is fair then I can tell you that there are plenty of negative things that could be said about parents of players from all of the WCHA teams - including some current Sioux players. In my opinion to sink to that level is not what a high quality message board such as Siouxsports is all about.

It is one thing to make evaluative statements about what players do on the ice and quite another to make "low brow" comments about a parent. If you have those sorts of feelings they are best kept to yourself. If this message board is going to sink to the level where a parent of a player is typified with such low class language then I think we are in sad shape. If that type of comment is fair then I can tell you that there are plenty of negative things that could be said about parents of players from all of the WCHA teams - including some current Sioux players. In my opinion to sink to that level is not what a high quality message board such as Siouxsports is all about.

Good post, definately agree with ya 100%. Grow up Jloos. You don't like his family, keep it to yourself. Personal attacks on any players in general are classless and distasteful.

By the way, Irmen has been showing this type of emotion since HS. He did the same thing to South when he scored on a breakaway when he was a frosh at Fargo North.

Their loss, Gophers gain.

Oh please. Again, just like the countless kids from Minnesota who have gone on to successful careers at UND. Why didn't Duke recruit Michael Jordan? How do quality high school football recruits from Ohio end up going to USC to college? Or worse, Michigan? You can't recruit everybody. Did you ever think a kid growing up in Fargo or Grand Forks might just be tired of small-town life and want to head to the big city? Surprise, it happens.

Oh please. Again, just like the countless kids from Minnesota who have gone on to successful careers at UND. Why didn't Duke recruit Michael Jordan? How do quality high school football recruits from Ohio end up going to USC to college? Or worse, Michigan? You can't recruit everybody. Did you ever think a kid growing up in Fargo or Grand Forks might just be tired of small-town life and want to head to the big city? Surprise, it happens.

And "big city" kids are tired of that lifestyle and head to the "small city". Kids from the suburbs couldn't see GF as much different from their hometown, except for the fact that it has an identity since it is a stand alone city. As far as I'm concerned, Irmen is no more a North Dakotan than I am a Gopher fan.

UND player does it it is cool, Gopher does it, it is showboating/being over the top...

And of course Gopher fans wouldn't say anything if a Sioux player did that. ;)

By the way, I've never seen a UND player do it. I've seen Blaker do similar things, but I was never fond of his antics either.

Was Metcalf's "shh" in 2002FF any worse?
I thought that was classless too. As was Ovechkin at the world juniors last year.

I thought UND fans had thicker skin...

Half the content on message boards is criticizing players for one thing or another. Just because I have an opinion that jersey popping is classless doesn't mean I have thin skin. It's just an opinion. I like hockey, in part, because it's largely without the trash talking, chest thumping, and showboating of the NFL and NBA.

Grow up people....

;)

And "big city" kids are tired of that lifestyle and head to the "small city". Kids from the suburbs couldn't see GF as much different from their hometown, except for the fact that it has an identity since it is a stand alone city. As far as I'm concerned, Irmen is no more a North Dakotan than I am a Gopher fan.

Yes, the reverse is also quite true.

Some players have the opportunity to choose where they will play college hockey, others have to go to their second or third choices. Coach Blais chose not to recruit the Potulnys or Irmen.

In much the same way some people are apparently saying "UND's loss, Gopher gain," flash back to Matt Henderson from White Bear Lake and his not being recruited by Minnesota. Hindsight is always 20/20. Of course, back then, Wooger was stocking the Gopher roster with stellar athletes like his son Dan and Jesse Bertigliot, so who am I to judge? ;)

In much the same way some people are apparently saying "UND's loss, Gopher gain," flash back to Matt Henderson from White Bear Lake and his not being recruited by Minnesota. Hindsight is always 20/20. Of course, back then, Wooger was stocking the Gopher roster with stellar athletes like his son Dan and Jesse Bertigliot, so who am I to judge? ;)

Who?

When Wally played for DU, I used to LOVE his antics, even from an opposing player. Was Metcalf's "shh" in 2002FF any worse? I thought UND fans had thicker skin...

Grow up people....

WPoS

The whole "let me show off my pretty brown jersey" stuff didn't bother me as much as the blatent cheap hit he put on Prpich to draw the penalty. The guy charges in and hits an opposing player in the back. Chickens!!!, classless move. Should have at least drawn another two for unsportsmanlike.

hate to talk footbal here but what moss did was fricken funny, he was having fun back at the fans who moon them for real when the players leave o the busses..it 2005 now and things change...irmen will get his azz layed out tonight as the sioux split with the rodents...

I think if the shoe was on the other foot the comments would be much different.

Although I did want to puke after watching that........

Grow up people....

WPoS

I hate agreeing with a gopher fan

That's the whole point. It is very unlikely it would be. Name one player on the Sioux rooster who would pull the same crap? Go to an earlier thread and watch the reply of Spiko's goal when he undressed Harrington and Briggs and his reaction afterward. Overall team character is one big reason I'm such a big Sioux fan.

That's the whole point. It is very unlikely it would be. Name one player on the Sioux rooster who would pull the same crap? Go to an earlier thread and watch the reply of Spiko's goal when he undressed Harrington and Briggs and his reaction afterward. Overall team character is one big reason I'm such a big Sioux fan.

Chorney.

Thats what makes crying about it stupid. It is an intense emotional series between these teams, let the kids play.

Good to see the Gophers put two solid games together. See ya in January at Mariucci.

Why aren't you here now complaining about Chorney? And "overall team character" is such an overused cliche that it carries no weight whatsoever. It's always the team a person cheers for that's classy while their hated rivals are not. Gimme a break, simply enjoy being a fan of your program instead of worrying so much about the Gophers. And the supposed dirty hit by Irmen was no worse than the 5 step run on Kaufmann in the corner that should have been called for more than 2, but que sera sera.

For the record, I thought UND was classy enough to refrain from reciprocating the jersey pop. Apparently I was wrong.

One jersey-pop means the entire team is classless? The player himself? For Parise sake.

Edited by Slap Shot

One jersey-pop means the entire team is classless? The player himself? For Parise sake.

Classless is the number of opponent fans who show up on an opponent message board to gloat after a sweep. Goph fans win this by miles, exactly why the fanbase has become so "loved" everywhere.

Why aren't you here now complaining about Chorney? And "overall team character" is such an overused cliche that it carries no weight whatsoever. It's always the team a person cheers for that's classy while their hated rivals are not. Gimme a break, simply enjoy being a fan of your program instead of worrying so much about the Gophers. And the supposed dirty hit by Irmen was no worse than the 5 step run on Kaufmann in the corner that should have been called for more than 2, but que sera sera.

"Supposed dirty hit by Irman". I love it. Yeah, I guess it was borderline. You gimme me a break. I do enjoy being a fan of UND and part of that is taking great pride in finding all things wrong with the piss and yellow.

not really...he faked a moon..wow what a bad guy, giving the fans back what they do to him for real after games..having fun, did not know having fun i sports was against the law in sports....i respect your opinion but just ave to disagree...

the jersey popping is over, stuff happens, emotions get involved and the players let it get to them..its over..we got outplayed fpr 2 games, thats the botton line