MTU and UND game two

Goon

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

John Scott is a good forward for MTU I am guessing? :glare:

John Scott is a huge defensive player... think Joe Finley... but bigger... same height, about 15 pounds heavier

6'7 258 I believe... nobody I'd want checking me

Edited by WiSioux

That's the game. Sioux get a nice 8-2 victory and a road sweep.

I would have been happy with the Sioux being 4-2 during their six straight road games. 5-1 is terrific.

On to the pesky Gophers!

The freshman are looking good and the players you expect to lead this young team by example are coming through. Then there is the team MVP, Jordan Parise.

Edited by Sioux_Hab-it

Here's a paraphrased summary of Hakstol's post-game comments:

Skill level was the difference. MTU came out with desparation. We didn't play a great first period. The Huskies played well and deserved better. Jordan played great. Stafford's short-handed goal was big.

We started to dictate the game in the second period. Once it went to 3-1 it took away their intensity.

There were some great goals scored. Along with the skill is that we're scoring goals by going to the net. We're having guys go to the net and guys taking it to the net.

The goal Toews finally scored was just like one he put off the post earlier in the game. He was flying out there. Made a lot of things happen and played very well.

Jordan Parise was the difference in the first period. We did a good job of weathering the storm. He had some tough saves on shots from the top of the crease. He continued to play strong even through the third period. It doesn't matter what the situation is. He never wants to let the puck in.

Taylor Chorney was very good. Brian Lee was quietly good. Matt Smaby isn't at 100 percent. He's playing through a couple of things, but he's doing what a good captain does.

I picked Wisconsin early in the year. They're a complete team right out of the gate while the rest of us are building and trying to find combinations. Minnesota will come to the Ralph hungry after getting beat up by Wisconsin. We have some things to prove at home.

We've played some good teams at home and we haven't had some of our best nights at home. But it's our building and we need to play well there. It's our last WCHA series before the Christmas break. Those are important points.

Edited by PCM

Over the last few weeks we have heard (in coaches shows, etc.) that Watkins and Kozek were turning the corner, and now it's starting to show on the scoreboard.

As for Wisconsin giving it to MN this weekend, a few things: First of all, MN isn't the first team to get hammered by Wisconsin lately. Second, they're getting drilled because MN's defense hasn't been airtight, and Wisconsin's has. UND's defense has given up more than 40 shots in a game to both SCSU and MTU in the last two weeks, so UND isn't exactly airtight right now either. Third, you can bet MN is going to get hammered more by Lucia this week than they were by Wisco this weekend. I'll bet they will be absolutely flying Friday night. Of course, so will UND, which should make for superb hockey. Last, aside from the WJC a year ago, next weekend's games will be the most watched REA games to date, with EVERYONE wanting to see Toews and Kessel.

Pat, thanks very much for the recap of Hak's comments.

Very excited about Kozek and Watkins getting on the board. I really wanted to see more than Stafford, Zajac and Spirko doing the scoring and it's great to see several other guys contribute. Tech is a team that several guys should have had opportunities, so I take it as a good sign that they made something of them.

Hey guys, sorry I missed the game, I had to work ;) I notice there are plenty of people picking up for me though... :0

What a night! I guess Stafford couldn't let Spirko have all the attention, what a great game for him, including a short handed goal. Kozek could have been right there with him, too. And I know a lot of you have been watching for Watkins to score, great to see him get one.

It was nice of you guys to let Tech think they actually had a chance for a little bit. :) I feel bad for them though, because they are going against a hot hot hot Wisconsin next week. They're going to be hungry hungry Huskies for quite awhile.

Kick the Goofs when they're down. I'll be watching both nights! Spirko = 2 hat tricks next weekend.