SiouxSports.com Forum

SCSU looking at DI

The Sicatoka

This one deserves a thread of its own.

The Fan 1390 AM radio out of St. Cloud has given reports that SCSU is forming a committee to look at a possible move to NCAA Division I athletics.

http://d2football.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9442

Very interesting.

Add this into the mix:

[url="http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=110192

I applaud them.

DII is a sinking ship. You might have to jump even if the situation isn't perfect.

And I know many of you know more facts and figures about this stuff than I do, but I do know that SCSU has a higher enrollment than UND, St. Cloud has a larger population and is growing faster than Grand Forks, St. Cloud is situated one hour north of a major metropolitan area and has a huge upside for growth. As far as their athletics, it seems to me that the only thing holding them back is the attitude of their administration. If that attitude changes, I see know reason they couldn't make the jump (except maybe lack of alumni support - since St Cloud is largely SJU territory).

Edited by mksioux

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

SCSU to seek membership in the NSIC.

LINK

It appears DI is officially out for SCSU.

And from this story, it appears that Mankato is holding a town hall meeting on the issue this afternoon.

Minnesota State-Mankato will host a town-hall-style meeting on its campus at 2 p.m. today, and Minnesota State-Mankato likely will make its own decision before the NCAA convention begins.

I know there are a lot of Mankato fans that are pushing for the school to go DI rather than apply to the NSIC. I'm not sure how much traction the DI movement has in Mankato though.

I'm really surprised that SCSU is announcing this without having the NCC try and pluck some teams. I just don't see the NSIC being able to support everyone. I'm really surprised there isn't some talk between the NCC and NSIC to try and balance things out. I think there are plenty of teams for two conferences, but the NCC will probably have to lower the scholarships. I wouldn't think this would be a big stumbling block seeing as how all these teams will need to do it going to the NSIC anyways.

Mankato is interesting. I would've though Saint Cloud would be too, but they're not even going to try it.

As far as participation goes (which is what title IX looks at), Mankato actually has more females participating than males by about 20.

Not sure if they offer the full 36 now or how offering 63 would change participation levels. But they look good for title IX.

As far as money goes, they spent about 1.1 million on football and 0.4 million on MBB. FCS teams from the autobid conferences probably average somewhere between 2 and 3 million for football and 0.7 to a million on MBB.

I also think they're considering dropping football, which I suppose is an option.

I'm really surprised that SCSU is announcing this without having the NCC try and pluck some teams. I just don't see the NSIC being able to support everyone. I'm really surprised there isn't some talk between the NCC and NSIC to try and balance things out. I think there are plenty of teams for two conferences, but the NCC will probably have to lower the scholarships. I wouldn't think this would be a big stumbling block seeing as how all these teams will need to do it going to the NSIC anyways.

Roger Thomas has been trying to pluck NSIC teams. Trouble is, the NSIC is in a better position to get more of their schools in the postseason (think beyond football) than what's left of the NCC. That's why I don't think the NSIC will take most of the NCC survivors. They plain just don't need to expand if they don't really want to. And consider this-we think it's bad news being a division I independent school, what would it be like to be a division 2 independent? That's scary.

I'm not a big guru on this stuff, but I've always thought if there was one other team in the NCC to make the leap it should be Mankato. I feel Mankato's biggest problem is football, I feel they really have a lot of potential to become like Denver and focus on hockey and basketball. Besides football, Mankato has good teams and Division 1 athletic facilities. Mankato is a good community and I feel would definetly support DI basketball especially with the facility they have. I feel they have much more potential than SCSU. SCSU is in a good growing community, but there problem is is they don't get much support. Most of the people in that area would rather drive an hour down the road and watch the professional teams and the Gophers. From what I hear, SCSU's football attendance is terrible. The only sport they really support is hockey, and even then they don't get 5,000 unless they're playing a top team.

I just read in the Strib today that Mankato has women's bowling and the number one ranked player at that. Seems like it'd be a cheap sport to build up female numbers.

Bowling? Are you kidding me? Bowling's not a sport ... bowling's an excuse to drink beer and wear other peoples' shoes ...

Oh wait, I found their coaching staff.

350px-The.Big.Lebowski.1998.Screenshot.2.jpg