SiouxSports.com Forum

Goal Tending

Goon

54 members have voted

1. 1. Goal Tending

• UND Fighting Sioux Goal Tending Sucks.
    • Cut them all and start over.
    • Good enough to Compete.
    • Siembedia Must Go.
    • Brandt Must Go.
    • Blaiser on the Recruiting Trail for New Goal Tender.
    • Leave it the way it is.
    • Give RanFranz a chance to see what he can do.
    • Send Josh, Jake and Ryan down the river.

It has been a know fact that UND's goal tending sucks. At the present our goal tenders make Hauser look good. (thats like saying Clinton made Nixion look presidential) I think Blais has no alternative to pull the pin on the two sophmore busts in net. Josh is god awful and Brandt must be in the dog house. Someone give me a reason why they are here next season. I don't want to hear the Gopher Fans say because he are obligated to stick with them for four years.

Here is the problem, Sedieve isn't that good, nor do I feel he will be any better than the two goaltenders we have now. I think we pre-maturely offer the central kid a scholarship without seeing what he did this past season Phil Lamaroux, now we are stuck with two more goalies. I am sure we can find a good tender in B.C. or somewhere out west.

I think it is time to flush Brandt and Siembedia down the river. Is it time to move on and find a new tender. I say cut them and bring in three new goalies next season.

Why isn't UND trying to get a good goaltender like a Bruckler or Jensen or a Dubbie. I have a hard time believeing UND a top flight program can't land a top recruit to play goal for us (no surgar coating UND is a top program no matter what other say)...

I would like to see a nice sized tender with some ability, no more midgets. Why do we insist on getting these itty bitty goal tenders that do not cover enough of the net. Second since ours thinks he needs to lay on the ice, he covers less of the net.

I know the first name to come up is going to be Karl G, he was a luxurary, an enigma, a once in a life time thing. We won't win a title with the goal tending we have now. The sad part is they aren't fit to carry Houser's jock and that isn't saying much...

Give me one more reason why we keep coming back with Sievebieda?

Why is Jake not playing. He seems to be better than Josh. Is Blais affraid to admit both are a bust? Even All-American Coaches make mistakes. UofM has basically the same problems right now. But even their sieves are better than ours...

I think both of the starters, Siembida and Brandt, could be great goaltenders. However, I think they don't work on the finer points of their position. I'd like to see a goalie coach brought in to work with netminders and help them achieve their potential. The position is just too damn important to leave it to guys who have never played the position. No offense to Blais or his current coaching staff, but we really need somebody to show these guys how to excel in their jobs.

I think both of the starters, Siembida and Brandt, could be great goaltenders. However, I think they don't work on the finer points of their position. I'd like to see a goalie coach brought in to work with netminders and help them achieve their potential. The position is just too damn important to leave it to guys who have never played the position. No offense to Blais or his current coaching staff, but we really need somebody to show these guys how to excel in their jobs.

I think your right, it seems like Brandt is a head case in the fact he feels a lot of self importance and that Josh is shell shocked from last season.

A good goalie coach could really get on Josh and have him stand up in the net. Heck I could score 50 goals a year if face a goalie every game that flops around like that all of the time...

UofM has basically the same problems right now. But even their sieves are better than ours...

Goon,

I realize you are a Sioux fan and are gonna make remarks (fair or not) that are mostly anti-Gopher but how can you say the Gophers have goaltending issues with the way Weber has played this year? I don't know what games you have been watching but they obviously haven't been Gopher games to make a rather uninformed remark. Weber has been playing very good. A GAA of barely above 2 and and save % a little under 92% is hardly a "problem". Both his non-conference and his conference stats are very good.

As for the Sioux goaltending, it sounds as if Blais recognizes that it is a big weakness as it sounds like they have been recruiting goalies to some degree (if the stuff about Brodeur was accurate a while ago). I am sure he'll address it in some fashion.

Since I've not seen the Sioux, only listened on internet audio, it's hard to comment on the goalies. But it sure seems listening that every shot taken by the opponent has an excellent chance of entering the Sioux net.

Does not sound like rebounds are a problem, since the Sioux D, I believe, has excelled at preventing second shots. Having seen Siembeda play great in last year's GLI, and then, especially good vs. Minnesota at Marriuci, he looked like an outstanding goalie (in spite of goph fan yapping that he gave lots of big rebounds, which, Webber did against BC last night also-the goph D, however, didn't allow any second shots either).

Somewhere along the line Siembeda lost confidence. Sounds like his positioning is often poor, and he's down and out early, leaving gaping holes to shoot at. A goalie coach may be just the ticket, but somehow he needs to regain the confidence he had when he came to the Sioux. Maybe get his rainbow pads back on.

Haven't seen Brandt at all so can't comment. Does everyone watching the Sioux think Brandt will be given the starting job for the second half?

Goon,

I realize you are a Sioux fan and are gonna make remarks (fair or not) that are mostly anti-Gopher but how can you say the Gophers have goaltending issues with the way Weber has played this year? I don't know what games you have been watching but they obviously haven't been Gopher games to make a rather uninformed remark. Weber has been playing very good. A GAA of barely above 2 and and save % a little under 92% is hardly a "problem". Both his non-conference and his conference stats are very good.

As for the Sioux goaltending, it sounds as if Blais recognizes that it is a big weakness as it sounds like they have been recruiting goalies to some degree (if the stuff about Brodeur was accurate a while ago). I am sure he'll address it in some fashion.

Hammy I have to admit I was fishing. (To take a page from some one elses book). Actually I have only seen a few games of the Gophers this season because of the FSN debacle and our team having too many home games back to back.

Add to the mix I was watching Vikings football and turned the channel to Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey, what I saw from the Gophers in net I wasn't impressed, mind you that doesn't mean I don't think the Gophers aren't a good team. Just saying I am not all that impressed with the Goaltending. Maybe I will change my tune after the UofM and UND series.

Also, notice I bascially the same problems young inexperienced goal tenders. Your goal tenders, however, may be better. I think JJ is no better than Sievebeida or Jake.

Isn't Bordeur going to Wisconsin, that is what I gathered from that.

Here is my next question say Blaiser gets a top goalie like Brodeur. That brings up another dilema, we have 4 goalies none of them are what I would consider good or even adequate. He has some choices to make.

If he cuts Josh he is going to say hey I got you out of Juniors mid season. Now your not good enough to play for UND. That sends a message to other schools.

If Brandt has the documented attitude problems that others have talked about, fine we cut our losses with him to. Its easier to cut a kid with a tude. However, then we burn out bridges with the Northern Kids.

From what I read and hear about Lane, I am not sure he will be able to be a consistant contributer. Besides there are better prospects out there. His numbers are that great.

Ranfranz, what I saw of him, wasn't too bad. Cansius is different than UMD, UofM or other WCHA teams for that matter.

Lastly, Sofie... You cut the kid with the great attitude.

Blais has some tough decisions to make this year.

I have a bad taste in my mouth after this past weekend.

I have to admit I was fishing and I caught a Hammy to take a page from some one elses book..

Actually, if I flamed you, THEN it would have been taking the bait. I was just commenting on the fact that I am not sure what you have been seeing to make such a comment.

Yes Brodeur is going to Wisconsin. I just meant that obviously Blais is looking around.

I also have to kind of cackle at your remark about watching a little of the Gopher game today and not being impressed with the goaltending. Weber was voted the tourney's outstanding player and stopped 29 of 30 shots in that game. You must have some pretty high standards if that isn't impressive.

Then again, I had read some of your old columns on the "Unvarnished Truth" long ago so I know better than to take your hockey "analysis" too seriously. :p???

I think a goaltending coach would not only help with the skills unique to the position, but perhaps get guys to mentally focus on their jobs. It's easier to teach somebody if you can relate your own experiences/techniques to the pupil. Or so I've been told. ???

With regard to Minnesota's goaltending, I think Weber is developing into a fine goalie. Strong on his skates and generally good with the positioning. He also seems to understand the mental aspects of the position, and doesn't appear to get rattled too easily. Not a Stauber-like player, but definitely a keeper IMO.

I also think it would do a lot of good to just bring in a goalie coach to work with the current goalies. I watched the Gopher Ticket before Friday's game against Yale, and they showed Stauber working with Weber and Johnson on some techniques. And I sat there wondering who takes extra time aside on UND's team to work with the goalies? ??? And I mean more than just taking shots at them. Scott is right, a goalie needs to teach these guys how to improve on their skills, not a former defenseman or forward.

I've seen both good and bad from both goalies, and with a little extra help, I think they'll be just fine. And you can't blame Saturday's game against Bemidji all on Josh. I thought the whole team played below their level, not just the goalie.

Actually, if I flamed you, THEN it would have been taking the bait. I was just commenting on the fact that I am not sure what you have been seeing to make such a comment.

Yes Brodeur is going to Wisconsin. I just meant that obviously Blais is looking around.

I also have to kind of cackle at your remark about watching a little of the Gopher game today and not being impressed with the goaltending. Weber was voted the tourney's outstanding player and stopped 29 of 30 shots in that game. You must have some pretty high standards if that isn't impressive.

Then again, I had read some of your old columns on the "Unvarnished Truth" long ago so I know better than to take your hockey "analysis" too seriously. :p???

I am just having fun... I have a lot of respect for the Gopher program...

Weber was voted the tourney's outstanding player

And Siembeda was placed on the all tourney team, but you won't see us using it as an argument that the goaltending at UND is set.

Thought BC's shot selection was rather poor, on the few good chances they had, they ripped it low to the middle of the net. Webber goes down early and leaves a lot of room up high. Appeared that BC had room to score if they'd been a bit more patient with their shots.

We'll see, maybe he's the real deal as Goph fans now think.

I wish one of the poll options had been "add a PT or FT goalie coach".

Also, is Blais getting a rep as a tough coach to play goalie for? Certainly for the other roster spots, the rep is positive....

He admitted himself this season on one of the radio interviews that he needs more patience with goaltenders.

And Siembeda was placed on the all tourney team, but you won't see us using it as an argument that the goaltending at UND is set.

Thought BC's shot selection was rather poor, on the few good chances they had, they ripped it low to the middle of the net. Webber goes down early and leaves a lot of room up high. Appeared that BC had room to score if they'd been a bit more patient with their shots.

We'll see, maybe he's the real deal as Goph fans now think.

Jeez Sprig, pick out one comment as if that is sole basis for my opinion. What a stunner. :(

It is a little different being named all tourney as a goalie when you played Brown and Bemidji as opposed to facing two teams whose average goals per game ranks in the top 10 of all college hockey like BC and Yale.

So it was shot selection that was the problem for BC? OK, whatever you say. I suppose that was the problem for every team he has played in the last 6+ weeks. :p

Tell you what.... you look at Weber's stats and then tell me if he is worth questioning. If you think he is, I guess that means the whole league has questionable goaltending since he is the current WCHA leader in GAA and is 3rd in Save %

Of course, I guess that is all because of the opponents "shot selection" though. LOL

According to most WCHA fans, other than UND's, Yale was one of those "cupcake" teams that UND faced earlier this year, but now we find out that they are top ten in the country in offensive production. Man, I am confused!

I think Yale has some pretty decent skill at forward. They skate pretty well. Better than I thought they would. However, they definitely have a cupcake defense and their goaltending is weak (though the Gartner kid looks like he could be a "gamer" when given the chance)

I think the biggest problem with Siembida is that he has horrible puck handling skills. It seems like he has no confidence going after the puck and he doesn't know when to play it and when to stay in the net. He gets caught doing everything halfway and consequently, gets out of position. I think he's better overall than Brandt, but I agree that a good goalie coach might be able to make him at least respectable in the net.

Hi all, been reading for awhile, but haven't felt the urge to add until now.

I've watched some taped games and it seems like Siembida is thinking too much (the old line about "don't think, react"). He's made some decent saves, but he looks hesitant in some cases or really "jerky" in others, not moving very fluidly or with purpose and certainty. I just keep telling myself that somebody has to come around sooner or later (at this point, it is looking like later).

I've said all along that Blais should give Ranfranz a chance and I

believe he would do an outstanding job. But we should not give up

on Brandt or Siembida either, after all only one game has been lost

and one tie, not too shabby!

Go Sioux!!!

Parise for Hobey!!