SiouxSports.com Forum

Another discussion on the Sioux Nickname

82SiouxGuy

The Vikings were Scandinavian people. The Scandinavians still are people. Just because the pirating and pillaging Vikings no longer exist, it doesn't mean that Scandinavians ceased to exist.

There are more similarities here than differences. Just as the stereotypical Viking warrior used in the Minnesota Vikings logo no longer exists, neither does the Sioux warrior depicted in UND's Fighting Sioux logo.

yeah, okay.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Vikings were Scandinavian people. The Scandinavians still are people. Just because the pirating and pillaging Vikings no longer exist, it doesn't mean that Scandinavians ceased to exist.

There are more similarities here than differences. Just as the stereotypical Viking warrior used in the Minnesota Vikings logo no longer exists, neither does the Sioux warrior depicted in UND's Fighting Sioux logo.

Yes, Vikings were of Scandanavian descent, but not ALL Scandanavians were Vikings. Now, if you look at the word "fighting sioux", that is all encompassing. Do you think that back in the day the cavalry said "no, leave the women and children alone because they are not the fighters..." HELL NO. They just killed everyone, women, children, old, young, if you were Sioux, you were a target.

As for the "Sioux Warrior". He/she still exists, if you don't believe me, look in the military, look on the front lines of the fire crews battling wildland fires, look at those Akicita who stand up for the people every day. The Sioux Warrior is here. But I guess you can't compare vikings and Sioux, because unlike those of you who "claim" to be a Viking, I bet you don't know your language, nor have you spent "any" time doing what a viking does. As a Sioux warrior, I have defended my people and still do today. I have provided for the poor and unjust, like a Sioux warrior does. And I also practice my Lakota beliefs, like a Sioux warrior does. Maybe I ride a Dodge instead of a horse, or maybe I shoot a high powerful rifle instead of a bow and arrow, and I have wireless internet over "smoke signals", but I am still a Sioux warrior. Take it for what its worth. Hecetu.

Yes, Vikings were of , but not ALL Scandanavians were Vikings.

No, Vikings were not of Scandanavian (sic) descent, they were Scandinavians. As the Wikipedia definition notes:

Today, somewhat controversially, the word is also used as a generic adjective, referring to the Viking Age Scandinavians. The medieval Scandinavian population, in general, is more properly referred to as Norse.
In other words, all Scandinavians from a certain time period are collectively known as the Viking people.

Now, if you look at the word "fighting sioux", that is all encompassing.

No, it isn't. It refers to the Sioux warriors who are long gone from the Dakotas. In reality, the word "Fighting" and the Sioux warrior shown in the logo serve to limit and define to whom the name "Fighting Sioux" refers. It's not you or anyone who's alive today.

Do you think that back in the day the cavalry said "no, leave the women and children alone because they are not the fighters..." HELL NO. They just killed everyone, women, children, old, young, if you were Sioux, you were a target.

Do you think that when people today refer to "Vikings," they're talking only about the guys in the sailing ships with the horned helmets? No. As the definition Mako posted makes clear, the Vikings are considered a race of Scandinavian people.

My heros have always killed cowboys.

Hilarious. ;) But what if one of the Sioux name and logo supporters posts a sig that states, "My heros make Smores with GrahamKrackers." He/she would be labeled a racist, glutenous pig. Ah me, oh my,the disparity of it all! :D

Has anyone else noticed that the only SS.com member to threaten violence and the only one to make racist remarks is GK? :D

As for the "Sioux Warrior". He/she still exists, if you don't believe me, look in the military, look on the front lines of the fire crews battling wildland fires, look at those Akicita who stand up for the people every day. The Sioux Warrior is here. But I guess you can't compare vikings and Sioux, because unlike those of you who "claim" to be a Viking, I bet you don't know your language, nor have you spent "any" time doing what a viking does. As a Sioux warrior, I have defended my people and still do today. I have provided for the poor and unjust, like a Sioux warrior does. And I also practice my Lakota beliefs, like a Sioux warrior does. Maybe I ride a Dodge instead of a horse, or maybe I shoot a high powerful rifle instead of a bow and arrow, and I have wireless internet over "smoke signals", but I am still a Sioux warrior. Take it for what its worth. Hecetu.

As does the "Viking Warrior"!

I like this, not only can we not "claim" to be Sioux, we cannot "claim" to be Vikings either, even though my ancestory is Swedish and Norweigian with a little Irish sprinkled in. I know my language, English, I am an American by birth. My parents were born in this country, and 1 of my four grandparents were born in this country. I still keep up with the heritage of my ancestors. Vikings are best known for their expliots along coastal areas but they also took ther long ships down the various rivers in Europe and western Asia and developed trade routes throughout western Russia and central Europe, throughout the Mediterranean, and even down to the Horn of Africa. But I cannot "claim" to be a Viking

Now as far as this warrior thing goes, I guess I can only "claim" to be a warrior after 18 years of active duty military service. My first assignment was only 10 minutes flying time to East Germany and we were constantly ready to respond and repluse a Soviet attack, not just for the West Germans but Americans, all Americans, regardless of color, creed, religion, social status. I was there when the wall came down, I was personnally thanked by a former East German, I felt pride. Now I am in southwest Asia, supporting the global war on terrorism and again I'm at the front lines protecting ALL Americans from this latest plague. And again I feel pride. But still I cannot "claim" to be a warrior even though I have protected my people, defeated an enemy, sheltered and provided for the less fortunate, and freed a people.

I get tired of coming to my favorite website and being told I cannot be who I am and the thought has even crossed my mind to quit coming or at least quit reading certain threads. But then I think that these people that express different views than mine and even berate me as a person, they are doing it in a free country and that freedom is protected by me so how can I be upset by the fact that they are just exercising that right, in fact I rejoice that you all are exercising that right as Americans. Now as a person I do not have to agree with it but I respect your view.

I use cruise missiles and JDAMS instead of broad swords and spears and I ride in F-15s and Abrams tanks but I know who I am and where I come from like Viking Warrior does.

Your welcome.

Yes, Vikings were of Scandanavian descent, but not ALL Scandanavians were Vikings. Now, if you look at the word "fighting sioux", that is all encompassing.

Umm NO!

Sioux were of North American decent (actually Asian and European decent, but we won't go into that), but not ALL North Americans [indians] were Sioux.

As for the "Sioux Warrior". He/she still exists, if you don't believe me, look in the military, look on the front lines of the fire crews battling wildland fires, look at those Akicita who stand up for the people every day. The Sioux Warrior is here.

You are right, there are no "actually" Norweigians/Swedes/Fins in the Armed Forces of Norway/Sweden/Finland (We outsource that to India! What are you thinking), or on the line of the fire crews battling wild oil fires in the North Sea. The Vikings are here. (Suddenly I don't know if I am talking "real Vikings" or a purple football team I can't seperate the two, [oh the pain of my shattering self esteem])

But I guess you can't compare vikings and Sioux, because unlike those of you who "claim" to be a Viking, I bet you don't know your language, nor have you spent "any" time doing what a viking does. As a Sioux warrior, I have defended my people and still do today. I have provided for the poor and unjust, like a Sioux warrior does. And I also practice my Lakota beliefs, like a Sioux warrior does. Maybe I ride a Dodge instead of a horse, or maybe I shoot a high powerful rifle instead of a bow and arrow, and I have wireless internet over "smoke signals", but I am still a Sioux warrior. Take it for what its worth. Hecetu.

Well, unlike most Sioux, the Vikings were bi-linguial. They spoke many many languages including French, English, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish to name a few, based on their terriory. And those languages didn't fade away, to be only spoken by a few. Maybe that is because we didn't mind if the people learning the language were of "Pure Blood" [Too use your, Harry Potter-ism]. But just for you...

Kyss av taperen

I have provided for the poor and unjust, like a Sioux warrior does.

Suddenly you are Robin Hood... Please, we all do this. It shows you are human, yes also a Sioux Warrior, which is also a noble quality and one that UND and VIKINGS shows every day, but never the less human.

And I also practice my Lakota beliefs, like a Sioux warrior does. Maybe I ride a Dodge instead of a horse, or maybe I shoot a high powerful rifle instead of a bow and arrow, and I have wireless internet over "smoke signals", but I am still a Sioux warrior.

My boat may have fiberglass and hold 8 people rather then 40, I too shoot a high powerful rifle instead of a bow and arrow, I still do practice with a sword (not with shield or armor though) and I too use the internet instead of "smoke signals", but I am a Viking. But more then I Viking, I am a human being and a member of the human RACE upon the planet Earth. I don't feel necessity to place myself or my culture on a pedestal. And I see honor in people "wanting to be like Mike", most Vikings have "evolved" [maybe a poor choice of words, but "grown up" doesn't really fit either] enough to see this.

Take it for what its worth. Hecetu.

Now while you did state some things that are honorable about the Sioux culture, and while I thank you for your time in the Armed Service as I thank ALL Armed Service personal for their protection (Thank you Air Force One), I can't take your words for much, they do not mask your hate, low self-image or xenophobia.

V

Edited by Bacardio

I happen to know that you break down in tears every time you see one of those Capital One commercials with the unemployed barbarians. :D

You all laugh, but my people are much more than just fighters. And look at the stereotypes we battle.

(Did I get the GK sob-story tone right? Now someone hand me a tissue. I'm getting weapy again from the thought of that horrible commerical. ;) )

Edited by The Sicatoka

You all laugh, but my people are much more than just fighters. And look at the stereotypes we battle.

(Did I get the GK sob-story tone right? Now someone hand me a tissue. I'm getting weapy again from the thought of that horrible commerical. ;) )

Almost. You failed to mention how the Vandals and the Vikings are oppressing your people and how we are all racists for holding the Sandanavian people down. :D

As does the "Viking Warrior"!

I like this, not only can we not "claim" to be Sioux, we cannot "claim" to be Vikings either, even though my ancestory is Swedish and Norweigian with a little Irish sprinkled in. I know my language, English, I am an American by birth. My parents were born in this country, and 1 of my four grandparents were born in this country. I still keep up with the heritage of my ancestors. Vikings are best known for their expliots along coastal areas but they also took ther long ships down the various rivers in Europe and western Asia and developed trade routes throughout western Russia and central Europe, throughout the Mediterranean, and even down to the Horn of Africa. But I cannot "claim" to be a Viking

Now as far as this warrior thing goes, I guess I can only "claim" to be a warrior after 18 years of active duty military service. My first assignment was only 10 minutes flying time to East Germany and we were constantly ready to respond and repluse a Soviet attack, not just for the West Germans but Americans, all Americans, regardless of color, creed, religion, social status. I was there when the wall came down, I was personnally thanked by a former East German, I felt pride. Now I am in southwest Asia, supporting the global war on terrorism and again I'm at the front lines protecting ALL Americans from this latest plague. And again I feel pride. But still I cannot "claim" to be a warrior even though I have protected my people, defeated an enemy, sheltered and provided for the less fortunate, and freed a people.

I get tired of coming to my favorite website and being told I cannot be who I am and the thought has even crossed my mind to quit coming or at least quit reading certain threads. But then I think that these people that express different views than mine and even berate me as a person, they are doing it in a free country and that freedom is protected by me so how can I be upset by the fact that they are just exercising that right, in fact I rejoice that you all are exercising that right as Americans. Now as a person I do not have to agree with it but I respect your view.

I use cruise missiles and JDAMS instead of broad swords and spears and I ride in F-15s and Abrams tanks but I know who I am and where I come from like Viking Warrior does.

Your welcome.

I bow before you. Thanks for your eloquence.