SiouxSports.com Forum

Visiting Grand Forks for games

mwade

I tried searching and couldn't come up with an old thread (although I'd swear I started one when I thought I'd be able to come out for BC's series a couple years ago). I'm hoping to come out, possibly in December and had a couple of questions:

1. No direct flights from NY? Am I just missing them or is there no direct flight into Grand Forks, Fargo or Winnipeg (I remember them being suggested last time - now assume the second 2 were to save $s if not using miles)

2. Hotel? I'm not currently planning on spending any time sightseeing, so would just as soon go without a car if possible. I'm cheap, but I like high speed internet (although it is presumably available in the arena so I can live without).

thanks,

-Melissa

I tried searching and couldn't come up with an old thread (although I'd swear I started one when I thought I'd be able to come out for BC's series a couple years ago). I'm hoping to come out, possibly in December and had a couple of questions:

1. No direct flights from NY? Am I just missing them or is there no direct flight into Grand Forks, Fargo or Winnipeg (I remember them being suggested last time - now assume the second 2 were to save $s if not using miles)

2. Hotel? I'm not currently planning on spending any time sightseeing, so would just as soon go without a car if possible. I'm cheap, but I like high speed internet (although it is presumably available in the arena so I can live without).

thanks,

-Melissa

Melissa,

When is someone going to step up and pay you to travel and take the pictures you do?

:silly: You do a wonderful job. I personally appreciate the validation shots of Fabians goal last spring. Travel safe and enjoy the weekend.

There are other options for flights but, to do so, means you'd have to fly into either Winipeg (customs, yuck!) or Fargo (don't rent a car from a company that charges by the mile!).

Fargo gets United and NWA so you could go through Minny or Chicago O'Hare, but your best bet is NWA and just plan on plain old bad service at an exorbantent price.

I'd second the Holiday Inn vote. They run a decent ship there.

If it is of any interest to you, To save on those expensive NY to MPLS to GF flights, You can purchase E-Certificates on EBAY. Type in northwest coupon and you'll find them. I've used them whenever I fly and I believe they have set round trip costs for $268-$298. Not a bad deal and they really work. Good Luck! :silly:

Hello devsrule,

I didn't know there were others from this area that root for the Sioux. I think there is someone from Philadelphia that is also on the board. By the way, you may want to check flights from Newark Liberty in addition to the New York airports.

The flights have been covered pretty well, but as far as hotels go I'd suggest the Hllton Garden Inn. They have High speed internet in the room. And it's connected to campus, so securing a ride to the game won't be hard. Or if it comes down to it, it's within walking distance.

The flights have been covered pretty well, but as far as hotels go I'd suggest the Hllton Garden Inn. They have High speed internet in the room. And it's connected to campus, so securing a ride to the game won't be hard. Or if it comes down to it, it's within walking distance.

That's a long cold walk and the lighting isn't the best from the Hilton to the Ralph. Don't walk!!

Devsrule,

I went out for my first Sioux game earlier this year (the Wisconsin series). The fans on this site gave me a lot of quality advice and suggestions when I came out.

Flights, well, you heard a lot here already and I ditto those posts.

I couldn't get into the Holiday Inn or the Hilton Garden Inn but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express. :silly:

They were clean, good service, affordable and they had high speed internet. However, they aren't nearly as close as the Hilton Garden Inn or the Holiday Inn.

I wasn't going to get a car originally either, but I decided to and it was worth the money. You can get around town, hit the spots where the Fans hang out, not have to worry about being restricted as to just the shuttles (although I used them from Whiteys and Dagwoods) and visit the REA, etc.

Hope you have a good time (I know I sure did).