SiouxSports.com Forum

USCHO Poll - Oct. 24th

fargosioux

I really don't think polls mean that much this time of the season, but moving up shows that we're not the only ones noticing the progress of a good young team. I don't see a lot of cockiness in this group of very talented freshmen, they seem very focused on what they need to do to be successful.

Cornell must be looking great in practice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget that in the last game that they have played they dominated the Gophers in The John in The West, only to lose by a goal. Of course, the Gophers were probably the weak link in the Frozen Four last year, getting there only by barely getting by weak kneed sisters Maine and Cornell at home.

That Cornell coach is a Ding Dong.

Don't forget that in the last game that they have played they dominated the Gophers in The John in The West, only to lose by a goal.  Of course, the Gophers were probably the weak link in the Frozen Four last year, getting there only by barely getting by weak kneed sisters Maine and Cornell at home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a little harsh.

Don't forget that in the last game that they have played they dominated the Gophers in The John in The West, only to lose by a goal. Of course, the Gophers were probably the weak link in the Frozen Four last year, getting there only by barely getting by weak kneed sisters Maine and Cornell at home.

That Cornell coach is a Ding Dong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Are you referring to last year's playoff game? If so, I was at that game and Cornell certainly did not dominate. In fact, the Gophers dominated for 2 periods. I believe that the shots were 30+ to 9 after two periods. The 3rd period was a draw or a slight edge to Cornell, but frankly, the only reason that they were in that game was because of their goalie who was outstanding. Cornell would not have finished in the top 5 of the WCHA last year. They were well coached, but big and slow. This is entirely objective as I was hoping that Cornell would win. Clearly, the better team won.

Minnesota only outshot Cornell 39-18. If only Cornell wasn't dominating...the Gophers could've ended up with 40 shots.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As much as I can't stand Skippy, he makes a good point. Let's leave dominating as a term reserved for what the Sioux did to the Gophs the following game. "men vs. boys..."

As much as I can't stand Skippy, he makes a good point.  Let's leave dominating as a term reserved for what the Sioux did to the Gophs the following game.  "men vs. boys..."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thinking of Spirko's goal will leave a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

;)

Could there be anything more meaningless than this poll? As Larry says, Cornell hasn't played a game and is ranked above the Sioux, the Goofs, Denver??? I think it's great that the Eastern press has created this feel-good poll for Hockey East and CCHA participants...it helps erase their memories and ease the pain of last March and April and it distracts them from their search for the Bean Pot which is in a case in Grand Forks...

Minnesota only outshot Cornell 39-18. If only Cornell wasn't dominating...the Gophers could've ended up with 40 shots.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ahhh.....a Skippy sighting, haven't heard from you in a while. I have rarely seen a team so physically overmatched as the Goofs were in that Frozen four game. They had no intentions of going through "broken nose alley". The few times Danny boy Irmen tried to go to the net he got lit up big time especially the hits by Smaby and Prpich. I think they should play the drilling by Smaby as part of the video during introductions before the Goofs game in December. Until the Goofs get some guys with some guts and grit that will do the little things there will be no more hardware in Gooferland.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too funny. Somehow, I knew that a mild dig in the direction of his belittled rodents would flush TC transplant out from the cool dirt in which he lays underneath his plywood board somewhere in the fantasy world of Goofieville.

TC transplant is way too predictable in his way. A 39-18 advantage in shots, yes. Quality chances, hardly. The Gophers, being unwilling to crash hard to the nets, were getting most of their shots off from circle or above, with easy glove saves by the Big Red goalie. They were lucky to escape with that win. Of course, I am glad that they did, because then we all had a chance to watch their complete dismantling in Columbus two weeks later.

Too funny. Somehow, I knew that a mild dig in the direction of his belittled rodents would flush TC transplant out from the cool dirt in which he lays underneath his plywood board somewhere in the fantasy world of Goofieville.

TC transplant is way too predictable in his way. A 39-18 advantage in shots, yes. Quality chances, hardly. The Gophers, being unwilling to crash hard to the nets, were getting most of their shots off from circle or above, with easy glove saves by the Big Red goalie. They were lucky to escape with that win. Of course, I am glad that they did, because then we all had a chance to watch their complete dismantling in Columbus two weeks later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only time Cornell looked like they belong, was the last 10 minutes of the game. On the other hand, the Gophers looked like they didn't belong against UND in the semis. Very tough to take as a UM rube. We have some size this year with Stoa and Wheeler up front, should be different. Hopefully, that helps come crunch time in the NCAAs. (assuming we make it)

The only time Cornell looked like they belong, was the last 10 minutes of the game. On the other hand, the Gophers looked like they didn't belong against UND in the semis. Very tough to take as a UM rube. We have some size this year with Stoa and Wheeler up front, should be different. Hopefully, that helps come crunch time in the NCAAs. (assuming we make it)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally (and you Gopher fans can take this as a dig if you wish), I'm happy Minny beat Cornell and Maine. It made our trip to the NC game much easier ;).

Truthfully, the Maine game was an amazing game (I didn't get to watch the Cornell game). I think Cornell's whining coach is enough for me not to even give them the benefit of the doubt.

Personally (and you Gopher fans can take this as a dig if you wish), I'm happy Minny beat Cornell and Maine.  It made our trip to the NC game much easier ;).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem. I was cheering for UND out east for the same reason. It just didn't work out. ;)

That guts and grits sure has worked out well for the Sioux. Jonathan Toews was 11 years old ;) the last time North Dakota added the ultimate hardware.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW! Thanks for that amazing piece of TRIVIA! Did that take you all day to calculate? Go back to your hole! ;)

That guts and grits sure has worked out well for the Sioux. Jonathan Toews was 11 years old ;) the last time North Dakota added the ultimate hardware.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And Wheeler, Kessel, Stoa, etc. were all 15 years old the last time the Gophers won a national title....What's your point?...You don't have one?....GREAT. Because anything that happend 3 years ago or 6 years ago has nothing to do with what is happening this year. And I also wouldn't consider Wheeler a "physical force" just yet. He'll go through his slump just like every other freshman does in the WCHA. And It's ok that the Gophers are a finesse team and that UND is a more physical team, you don't have to agree with everyone. Just remember that defense wins championships and with Briggs in goal UM doesn't have a chance because the Gophers won't score enough against quality opponents to win a close game IMO.