SiouxSports.com Forum

USA Today Hockey Poll - Sioux still #6

Sioux_Hab-it

Kind of strange considering UND went on the road to UNH and took 3 points and didn't move up a notch. Mankato isn't in the top 15 and UNH is.

That is a good example of why not to care about polls.

About Mankato, I watched both games on TV and was fairly impressed. Their D isn't great, and their goaltending....well, the guys that play in goal aren't that good. They have some good offensive skill, can play very physical, and they can be very dangerous if given a chance.

If Mankato gets solid goaltending, I think they will be a headache team all season in the WCHA.

They are a thorn in UND's side most seasons - good goaltending or not; after watching the games last weekend I imagine this year will be provide more of the same!

What was I saying? You're right. They gave MN a game both nights. That 5-2 score was closer than it appeared. MN was fortunate to get very good tending from Briggs that night or it really would have been a barn-burner. I want to change my answer to: Mankato WILL give headaches to teams all season!

Vermont moves up 3 after beating the Bulldogs... I don't really think a sweep of a team that was never even in the game warrants that, but whatever. At least the 'Dogs have only been beaten by ranked teams.

If some teams have played 6 games and you've played 0, shouldn't you be ranked lower than 3rd? Someone's got a hard on for Cornell.

Also, I like CC and I'm glad to see them up there, and ahead of Denver! ;)

Kind of strange considering UND went on the road to UNH and took 3 points and didn't move up a notch.  Mankato isn't in the top 15 and UNH is.

That is a good example of why not to care about polls.

About Mankato, I watched both games on TV and was fairly impressed.  Their D isn't great, and their goaltending....well, the guys that play in goal aren't that good.  They have some good offensive skill, can play very physical,  and they can be very dangerous if given a chance.

If Mankato gets solid goaltending, I think they will be a headache team all season in the WCHA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

David Backes was the best player on the ice this entire series. Yes, I'm even including Kessel ;)

David Backes was the best player on the ice this entire series.  Yes, I'm even including Kessel ;)

My jaw dropped the one time on the pk where he stripped the puck from the gopher D at the blueline, then outraced him all the way to the goalie. However, he was stoned by Briggs.

They are a thorn in UND's side most seasons - good goaltending or not; after watching the games last weekend I imagine this year will be provide more of the same!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thing I like about this years team is that the Rookies have never played them before and I doubt they are going to be too impressed with them. After watching the young kid play this past weekend during a crucial early season match, its hard to fantom some of them are that young.

INCH POLL

I like this poll better than the other polls. They give reasons why they moved a team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am hoping Cornell gets whooped by MSU. Also, can you imagine how boring a game that will be with two teams that pride themselves on slowing down the play and focusing on defense. Yuck, I like up tempo teams more.

I hope Comley takes it too Schaffer the guy comes off as a whinner.

David Backes was the best player on the ice this entire series.  Yes, I'm even including Kessel ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He sure didn't look like it at the rink. After getting stuffed on consecutive breakaways by Briggs he must have gone back to Mankato. I didn't even notice him Saturday night.

I watched the games on tv also and thought he was really good the whole weekend.  Again, I wasn't there like you sagard, but from what I saw he was pretty good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You often get a better prospective from TV most times. How has Kessel looked? I've been lucky enough to get to four of the Gophers first five games and he appears to be about the fourth or fifth best forward on the Gophers. Once he starts giving the puck up before the opposition is all over him I think he will explode in the scoring column. Right now he seems to try to beat the opposing team all by himself too often, leading to fewer overall scoring chances.

The guy does have an acceleration thorough the neutral zone that is at another level.

I'm probably just biased against Backes due to his continual hacking and whining when he plays the Gophs. Of course he does get poked plenty by the team I root for.

How has Kessel looked?  I've been lucky enough to get to four of the Gophers first five games and he appears to be about the fourth or fifth best forward on the Gophers.  Once he starts giving the puck up before the opposition is all over him I think he will explode in the scoring column.  Right now he seems to try to beat the opposing team all by himself too often, leading to fewer overall scoring chances.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, funny how difficult it is when you aren't playing against the practise pylons anymore. ;)

You often get a better prospective from TV most times.  How has Kessel looked?  I've been lucky enough to get to four of the Gophers first five games and he appears to be about the fourth or fifth best forward on the Gophers.  Once he starts giving the puck up before the opposition is all over him I think he will explode in the scoring column.  Right now he seems to try to beat the opposing team all by himself too often, leading to fewer overall scoring chances.

The guy does have an acceleration thorough the neutral zone that is at another level.

I'm probably just biased against Backes due to his continual hacking and whining when he plays the Gophs.  Of course he does get poked plenty by the team I root for.

1. I thought Backes was not nearly as effective Saturday as he was Friday.

2. Kessel is scary good with the puck. However, from what I saw on TV I agree with many. He's trying to make the same moves as he enters the zone that he used to beat lesser, younger D with, and they're not working. However, sometimes he's talented enough to recover from that, and sometimes his talented linemates pick up the puck and do something with it, so some of the mistakes are glossed over. I think he was lucky to score on the penalty shot because the goalie had him, but didn't get his pad down. Kessel had enough space under the pad to slip in the puck.

That said, when he got the puck with some space on the PP he was really scary. I've never seen a body so quick on the ice. And he is FAST. I expect he'll acclimate to what can and can't work at this level pretty quickly and then watch out.