SiouxSports.com Forum

Let the Polls Begin.

DMT

Not to sound negative, but I'm happy with the Sioux at around 8 or 9. We haven't played any WCHA opponents yet and we start out rocking with Denver in a few weeks. If we're still at one loss when Denver comes to town, I'll start to think of us as better than 8th.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone please tell me how Cornell gets ranked three and they haven't even played a game yet? Barry Melrose must have a vote or two. Also eight is fine with me for now, lets fly under the radar until after the x-mas break. I think we will be ok. Especially after how UND cycled the puck this past weekend. Teams are going to find out fast UND is pretty good and can score goals.

I wonder how long it will be, before people are drapped all over Toews, the kid is going to be a awesome player. I like where we are ranked right now.

Edited by Goon

Normally I disagree with INCH because they don't give UND enough credit.  However, todays ranking gives them too much credit.

INCH Power Rankings

Having seen all four games there is no way they are #2 right now.  Miami outplayed them, the MSU game was close, and UND pretty much controlled both games against a weak NU team.

I see improvement from the team from game 1 thru game 4 and expect to see continued improvement throughout the year, but it is not realistic to rank them at #2 just yet.  The next six games will give us a pretty good idea of where they stand early in the season, I hope they can at least go 3-3.

If they can stay healthy and continue to improve I think this will be a very fun team to watch in Feb/March/April.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At this point in the season, I don't think any team deserves a #1 ranking. Not Michigan, not the Sioux, not Minnesota, not Cornell, not anybody. If I were in charge of a certain poll, I would leave the #1 spot open for the first few weeks until all the teams have had at least a chance to hit their collective strides and demonstrate that one of them deserves to be on top.

Right now it's too early: Too much of teams getting-to-know each other & establishing identities, upsets that would rarely happen in later months, players still trying to reach their peak conditioning & other early-season factors. In fact, for the entire month of October I'd have teams ranked 2 through 15 but not #1. The #1 slot would open after the first weekend in November.

I think this would be a refreshing change to the traditional concept of polling.

Not that it ever is "important", but why not wait until after Jan 1 to throw up rankings?  Seems like there is too little data until substantially later in the season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe it's done early to keep Cornell fans happy :D