SiouxSports.com Forum

Understanding UND's anger

PCM

I've said before that this is no time for a Republican vs. Democrat or conservative vs. liberal fight. We need everyone on board.

Having said that, it's no secret which side is driving this. It's coming from the extreme left fringe. But that doesn't mean we need to point fingers. All it means is that those Fighting Sioux fans on the left have to do their best to reel in the fringe on their side and prevent the PC position from becoming mainstream thought. In fact, left-leaning Sioux fans are probably in a better position to quash this PC march than those on the right.

And those on the right should not feel high and mighty because it's no secret that they have their fringe wackos too.

I've said before that this is no time for a Republican vs. Democrat or conservative vs. liberal fight.  We need everyone on board.

Having said that, it's no secret which side is driving this.  It's coming from the extreme left fringe.  But that doesn't mean we need to point fingers.  All it means is that those Fighting Sioux fans on the left have to do their best to reel in the fringe on their side and prevent the PC position from becoming mainstream thought.  In fact, left-leaning Sioux fans are probably in a better position to quash this PC march than those on the right. 

And those on the right should not feel high and mighty because it's no secret that they have their fringe wackos too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Careful mksioux. When the extreme left (like GK et al) gets taken to task on the issue, they will eventually start name calling. It happens in Washington, on the news, in ND, everywhere. They cannot stick to the facts and they have no use for the word "compromise." This is why GK has never once tried to understand our side of the story by approaching with respect. He has just posted inciteful material that call us all racists regardless of what reasons we may have and call UND a bastion of racism and demoralization despite the fact that he claims he likes UND.

All our beliefs are meaningless at best, racist at norm because of our skin color and because we do not agree with him. Sounds racist to me.

PCM,

Its good to see at least some of your friends have common sense.  Go ahead and fight it.  We're ready, too. 

When UND sues the NCAA for violation of the first ammendment and slander by calling our school hostile it will be between the NCAA and UND. Then GK you will be a spectator on the side lines. If UND is such a racist organization how come so many American Indians go to school here. AH, I am waiting for your answer.

Having said that, it's no secret which side is driving this.  It's coming from the extreme left fringe. 

It is the left wing extremists that are fueling this rediculous movement, there is no way around this one. Its the Michael Moore, Cindy Sheehan, Russell Means _______insert leftest extremist. Going back to the people behind this anti logo/mascot issue; all or in not all of them are Leftist extremist... Your right, we aren't saying Kent Konrad, Byron Dorgan are part of this movement, the people in this movement are beyond left of center, they are extremists.

I lost any respect I had back in 2001 when the horrible actor, hate monger, felon Russell means came to UND to spew his hate speech.

Republicans (Conservatives) = big business

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Calling today's republicans conservatives is an insult to conservatives.

If there is are two organizations that can go toe-to-toe in ineptitude with the NCAA it is both our favorite two parties.

My whole point on this thread is to pay attention to what the UND pres. is fighting for. It just seems too plausible to me that the NCAA may offer a mea culpa for insulting UND in exchange for a peaceful retiring of the name and logo.

The only thing worse than being called a racist is having to admit that it's true.  Something Kupchella, UND and community is not ready to do unfortunately. 

The landowners in the South fought like hell to preserve slavery, but in the end they were still wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Comparing this situation to slavery is well.... pretty much just crazy!!!!

My friend has a great deal of respect for my opinion on this issue. He undertands that I know far more about it than he does. By the time we finished our conversation, he understood my point of view.

Did I change his mind? I don't know because I didn't ask him. Regardless, we're still friends because we can agree to disagree on matters of opinion.

The only thing worse than being called a racist is having to admit that it's true.  Something Kupchella, UND and community is not ready to do unfortunately. 

The landowners in the South fought like hell to preserve slavery, but in the end they were still wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's this kind of garbage that totally demolishes what little respect I had for your point of view.

If UND was racist, it wouldn't have more American Indians students than any other university in the region.

If UND was racist it wouldn't offer all the educational opportunities it does for American Indians.

If UND was racist, it wouldn't have so many programs and services to support its American Indian students.

If UND was racist, it wouldn't be building American Indian Student Services a brand new facility in a prime location on campus.

If UND was racist, it wouldn't put into writing its strategic goal of becoming the best university in the nation for Native American programs.

If UND was racist, it wouldn't be creating new programs specifically aimed at attracting American Indian students.

If UND was as racist as you and others claim, you'd have no trouble proving it to the Department of Justice. But you can't.

And finally, if the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo had anything whatsoever to do with racism at UND, its American Indian enrollment wouldn't have increased nearly 30 percent since the new logo was implemented and the Engelstad Arena opened four years ago.

Your comparison of people fighting to maintain the tradition of the Fighting Sioux nickname at UND to the slave owners of the pre-Civil War South would be laugh-out-loud silly if it wasn't so pathetically ignorant.

So congratulations. You got me fired up once again and made me more determined than ever to fight this battle to the end.

Is there anyway I could talk you into putting this into the Fargo Forum editorial?  I'm orginally from Grafton, went to UND and have been a diehard Fighting Sioux fan ever since the early 1970's.  I now live in Fargo, when I read McFeely's article this morning it absolutley drove me crazy.  I know this is McFeely's purpose, but I've been trying all day to think of something to put in the Forum editorial to make him accountable for his complete BS.  Pat, when I read what you wrote on this thread, it was exactly what I was looking for.  In fact this should be sent into the USA Today and other media outlets around the country to give an understanding that people in this part of the country aren't "hostile and abusive" and are some the best people the USA has to offer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I should mention that I did sumbit a revised version of my orginal post to USA Today. I've heard nothing from them, however.

I should mention that I did sumbit a revised version of my orginal post to USA Today. I've heard nothing from them, however.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you include a large 4-color bar graph, 24pt font, and provide some abstract magnitude comparison- such as fitting the entire population of Grand Forks inside 18 jumbo jets- to summarize your point? And, as you well know, you can't just write the words "population" and "jumbo jet"; you have to have a graphic showing smiling Sioux fans stuffed inside little cartoon drawings of jumbo jets. This helps the average USA Today reader immensely.

taz

Did you include a large 4-color bar graph, 24pt font, and provide some abstract magnitude comparison- such as fitting the entire population of Grand Forks inside 18 jumbo jets- to summarize your point?  And, as you well know, you can't just write the words "population" and "jumbo jet"; you have to have a graphic showing smiling Sioux fans stuffed inside little cartoon drawings of jumbo jets.  This helps the average USA Today reader immensely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crap! I knew I forgot something! :blush: