SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA claims Indian mascot guidelines apply to BCS

jimdahl

Statement Regarding Licensing Criteria for Division I-A Postseason Football

"Effective with the 2006-07 season, the policy restricting the use of Native American mascots and imagery will apply to the bowl licensing process in Division I-A football in the same way the policy applies for NCAA championships.

"NCAA bylaws require that all licensed bowls must "comply with the NCAA

di-verse adj 1 : UNLIKE 2 : composed of distinct forms or qualities

di-ver-sit-y n 1 : the condition of being diverse : VARIETY 2 : an instance of being diverse

Here's what I don't get. The NCAA says that it's policy on American Indian nicknames, mascots and logos is based on the value of diversity. So how does assisting in the coverup the historical role of the Sioux on the plains demonstrate that the NCAA values diversity? Is it somehow better to name UND's athletic teams after something that recognizes only the role of the current majority race in the state's history, such as the Pioneers?

I would think that because UND has the largest enrollment of American Indians in the region and has a multitude of educational programs and services to support them, the NCAA would treat the university of a model of diversity. But apparently that pales in comparison to having a non-controversial moniker and logo. Or maybe I just need a new dictionary.

So the NCAA is pulling out the "licensing" angle on the BCS bowl games to try to further assert their "authori-tay" [/Eric Cartman].

Very nice.

I see this as simply another straw.

Don't be surprised if the camel called "the superconferences" shakes off the straw off their back and forms their own association.

So the NCAA is pulling out the "licensing" angle on the BCS bowl games to try to further assert their "authori-tay" Eric Cartman.

Very nice.

I see this as simply another straw.

Don't be surprised if the camel called "the superconferences" shakes off the straw off their back and forms their own association.

I think its a place they don't want to go. Just a hunch. It could cause a full retreat by the NCAA.

Some more details on the latest mascot move by the NCAA are provided in this AP story. Apparently the NCAA was only giving the BCS what it wanted. I wish Illinois would hurry up and file an appeal to demonstrate the worthlessness this latest action.

Another good find, Sioux-cia. But I think the sentence before the one you quoted is extremely important, too.

The association argued that as a noncommercial operation, it is not subject to antitrust laws.

Coughenour found in a ruling made Wednesday that the plaintiffs had made a case that the NCAA has monopoly power over college football, and that they should have the opportunity to demonstrate that this monopoly caused antitrust injury, in a ruling made Wednesday.

And there's also this:

COuld the Illini appeal be another reason why the ruling on us hasn't come out yet? It seems pretty simple to me that the NCAA would accept the appeals from DIA schools and reject all DII schools if it means winning the battle, even only once.

How long can the NCAA wait to approve or reject the appeal? Could they just wait past the deadline and then say "Sorry, too late?"

How long can the NCAA wait to approve or reject the appeal?  Could they just wait past the deadline and then say "Sorry, too late?"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They can't do that. They've acknowledged that they have received UND's appeal, they have to give the school an answer.

Did the NCAA even give a deadline for schools to appeal?

COuld the Illini appeal be another reason why the ruling on us hasn't come out yet? 

Illinois hasn't filed an appeal. University officials have suggested that they probably will, but they haven't yet.

How long can the NCAA wait to approve or reject the appeal?  Could they just wait past the deadline and then say "Sorry, too late?"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The NCAA said it expected all appeals to be filed and decided before the policy goes into effect Feb. 1, 2006. I doubt that even the NCAA would be dumb enough to try the "Sorry, too late" strategy you've suggested.

For those of you wondering where Illinois is, I have a guess. Unlike the UND administration, the UIUC administration has been against Chief Illiniwek (but not the nickname, so the problem would remain) and they may be using this to justify retiring the chief. They may not file an appeal until they decide once and for all what to do with the chief. This is just a guess though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Com'on Illini get your a$$'$ in gear and file that appeal.

I think the problem with Illinois is that there is a many years history of opponents to Chief Illini. I bet they're seeing the NC$$ ruling as a way to get rid of him and keep the name without pi$$ing off the pro-Chief crowd.  Apparently, they don't have a lot of brain power working on the 'problem'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, good thinking :D

That is the problem facing the Illinois admin: the Chief is a real controversy at the school and the administration, the trustees, the student body, the community, and Native American activist groups are all trying to find a solution. However, the nickname has not caused a problem. The school doesn't want to get rid of the Illini name. It would be ridiculous, there are a zillion buildings and businesses in the surrounding area (not to mention the STATE) that use Illini or derivations of the word in their names. I lived in Illini Tower (a private dorm, not a university-run dorm) freshman year, for crying out loud. So the issue in Illinois is unique. FSU supported its mascot and its nickname, and had tribal support. UND has no mascot, the university supports the nickname, and they don't (?) have tribal support. UIUC has a mascot and a nickname, the school supports the nickname and is uncertain what to do about the mascot, and there's no tribe to support/oppose either.

I doubt they are waiting for other schools' appeals to be approved as precedent. They have all the precedent they need, with the Aztecs nickname being allowed. I think it's an internal matter. And I wouldn't count on an Illinois appeal approval helping the UND case. The situations are too dissimilar.

I doubt they are waiting for other schools' appeals to be approved as precedent. They have all the precedent they need, with the Aztecs nickname being allowed. I think it's an internal matter. And I wouldn't count on an Illinois appeal approval helping the UND case. The situations are too dissimilar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think the Illini appeal would help nor hurt the Sioux. Why I think it is a barrier is because I firmly believe that the NCAA wants to get all the DIA appeals approved before taking on the "lesser" schools. It would then prevent the possibility (not that it would actually happen) that the court case could get bigger than the NCAA could theoretically handle.

My imagination run wild again, I'm sure, but it is in the realm of possible.