SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Well, speaking of goalies, Aaron Crandall, a goalie who we were recruiting committed to Wisconsin today. This is actually the second goalie that we were recruiting for 2009/2010 that we haven't got. It's a good pickup for Wisconsin and would've been a good pickup for us. I saw him play numerous times with St. Thomas Academy the years he was there.

Essentially, they are looking for a practice goaltender. I would agree that an already enrolled student as a walk on would be the best way to go because you would only be talking about one year and you wouldn't have to worry about getting a player cleared through the NCAA for second semester. Another advantage of it is that you could have a third practice goaltender for the rest of this first half so you wouldn't wear out Lammy and Walski so much.

Why not have two really good goalies, the thing I don't understand if Grieco didn't want to stay he should have told Hak so the Sioux could have recruited a good goalie. If you watched the NHL last season the teams with TWO (2) solid goalies are the ones that went far in the playoffs. This season the Sens are probably really glad that they kept Gerber. The Ducks have two really good goalies. New Jersey actually now has two really good goalies.

You can not only ride one goalie throughout a whole season, it just doesn't work historically even Karl G didn't play every game. I can not for the life of me see Walski stealing a game in a hard fought series. Seriously. If Phil gets hurt, say run over by one of the league goons or kicked out or hitting someone with his blocker the Sioux are screwed.

Edited by Goon

Why not have two really good goalies, the thing I don't understand if Grieco didn't want to stay he should have told Hak so the Sioux could have recruited a good goalie. If you watched the NHL last season the teams with TWO (2) solid goalies are the ones that went far in the playoffs. This season the Sens are probably really glad that they kept Gerber. The Ducks have two really good goalies. New Jersey actually now has two really good goalies.

You can not only ride one goalie throughout a whole season, it just doesn't work historically even Karl G didn't play every game. I can not for the life of me see Walski stealing a game in a hard fought series. Seriously. If Phil gets hurt, say run over by one of the league goons or kicked out or hitting someone with his blocker the Sioux are screwed.

Totally agree with you, when you look around the hockey league

I think that rather than jump to the conclusion that Walski cannot play, we have a little faith in the team and Hak. I think the fact that Walksi started to travel with the team implies that he has improved and Hak felt that if push comes to shove, that he could play in the league. Yes, this is not the most ideal situation, but show some confidence in your team and know that they will battle to get through it.

I think that rather than jump to the conclusion that Walski cannot play, we have a little faith in the team and Hak. I think the fact that Walksi started to travel with the team implies that he has improved and Hak felt that if push comes to shove, that he could play in the league. Yes, this is not the most ideal situation, but show some confidence in your team and know that they will battle to get through it.

This is a great opportunity for Walski to step up to the bar, and I believe given the chance he can play. I have faith in the team and coaches, but when you look at this from a 30,000 foot view, I reflect!

It's hard enough to find one goalie to satisfy this message board - having 2 would be a miracle.

we need another goalie for practice and "just in case" our 2 get hurt. would we have to play one of our D or F guys? thats a question for everybody.

we need another goalie for practice and "just in case" our 2 get hurt. would we have to play one of our D or F guys? thats a question for everybody.

Exactly. From what I always understood, the reason for three goalies on the team is for practice purposes so you don't wear your starter out.

I don't know if he was ever a Sioux recruit, but Novotny from Shattuck is going to DU.

did those goalies from shattuck last season go to the bchl? i though i read somewhere a few players went to the same bchl team but i could be wrong

Another lecturer. Walski has 1 2/3 of a season left, I am sure the coaching staff are thinking past that. I think it time to start thinking about the future. If there is a top notch goalie out there I would imagine the Coaching staff would want to pick them up. Phil probably can't play ever game, but I personally I wouldn't feel all that confortable with Walski between the pipes in a big game. I am sure I am not the only one that feels like that. Doing good in practice does not translate to winning games.

This is a great opportunity for Walski to step up to the bar, and I believe given the chance he can play. I have faith in the team and coaches, but when you look at this from a 30,000 foot view, I reflect!

If someone thought he could play why did they go get Grieco, why did he start over Walski? There is a reason for these things.

i guess i dont know why phil cant play every game this season. its 2 gamers per week seperated by 5 days in between. not 4-5 games per week. i see him playing every game as long as hes on. theres no reason he shouldnt.

The point of my post was not to claim Walski was good enough to carry the team, it was to have the patient to give him the opportunity. I find it difficult to sit here day after day and read all the negative posts from people that may or may not know what they are talking about. Everyone on this board has there hopes and wishes for the team, but it does no one any good to bring about all the negativity this early in the year. I enjoy watching the team, win or lose, and I know Hak gets paid to worry about the future of the team and how to deal with these issues, we don't.

Go back a couple of years ago when everyone was saying that JPL should never start or get a chance, now look. Only those who see all aspects of the team know what talent they have on the bench.

I enjoy watching the team, win or lose, and I know Hak gets paid to worry about the future of the team and how to deal with these issues, we don't.

I guess we should have Jim Dahl shut the board down. ??? This is a discussion board, this whole boards existance and purpose is about pontificating about Sioux hockey. Not everyone has to be a drink the koolaide Walski guy, you will never see me post something that say Walski was robbed. Phil gives us the best chance to win. having an insurance policy is also a good option.

If someone thought he could play why did they go get Grieco, why did he start over Walski? There is a reason for these things.

Well, here is a little reason, it looks like Grieco played his first game and wins the game with 40 saves and selected first star. this is what the game sheet says.....

Name GP Mins GA Shutouts Avg. W L OTL SL SA SVS %

1 Anthony Grieco 1 64 2 0 1.89 1 0 0 0 42 40 0.952

Well, here is a little reason, it looks like Grieco played his first game and wins the game with 40 saves and selected first star. this is what the game sheet says.....

Name GP Mins GA Shutouts Avg. W L OTL SL SA SVS %

1 Anthony Grieco 1 64 2 0 1.89 1 0 0 0 42 40 0.952

That is a pretty good start...

That is a pretty good start...

Of course, after practicing against snipers like Oshie, Duncan and Kozek, the puck must look like a beachball coming at him. Before any OHL people get bent out of shape, I'm only kidding, but it can't hurt to have faced shots from those guys day in and day out.