SiouxSports.com Forum

If you have to change the name...

JESUS,family,rutgers

If the NCAA insists on a name change, may I suggest Scarlet Knights. Also a color change to red, black, and white would be appropriate. While you are at it, just change the school's name from UND to Rutgers. This would really help me out financially!----I can't believe I get a Fighting Sioux hat, shirt, and jerseys and start to follow a team that may have to change their name. I really hope UND does not cave in to the politically correct "thought police." Nothing about Indian names offends me,including the Florida State chop, and the NCAA and the media need to find other more important things to complain about. AND I am part Indian. Each day in our society, we are losing more and more freedom of speech. I don't think the NCAA and the media will stop with Indian names. Next up will be schools with religious names.

Next up will be schools with religious names.

Guess what the two most sacred symbols of Wakantanka (The Great Spirit) of American Indian religion are:

The buffalo (Tatanka)

The eagle (Wabli)

Based on the NCAA's current precident, all it would take is a couple of folks to protest to the NCAA and Boston College (Catholic) and Colorado (public) and a whole host of others could be looking for monikers and mascots.

Far fetched? Unfortunately, nothing seems far fetched lately.

Imagine if Yeshiva University (Jewish) had "The Crucifix" as a logo and moniker. Some folks may question that.

I think that would be hilarious, personally. Although, if they called themselves the Yeshiva University Fighting Goyim, I'm thinking no one would get the joke anyways except for Jews who know Yiddish. :lol:

BTW- Goyim means "Gentiles" or "NonJews" I'll let you history buffs figure out the irony in the nickname. :D

Imagine if Yeshiva University (Jewish) had "The Crucifix" as a logo and moniker. Some folks may question that.

Now, guess what the two most sacred symbols of Wakantanka (The Great Spirit) of American Indian religion are:

The buffalo (Tatanka)

The eagle (Wabli)

Based on the NCAA's current precident, all it would take is a couple of folks to protest to the NCAA and Boston College (Catholic) and Colorado (public) and a whole host of others could be looking for monikers and mascots.

Far fetched? Unfortunately, nothing seems far fetched lately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

American Indian religion? I don't know how you can clump all 500+ Sovereign Federally Recognized Tribes into one group......oh wait, you don't know squat about "them", thats right.

And for your information, its Wakan Tanka (I'd would love to hear you even try to pronounce it...lol), the Buffalo are Pte' (Unless your from hollywood, then you'd use "tatanka"), and the Eagle is Wanbli, unless you are taking a Lakota class here on campus then you can spell it w/o the n, but you'd also have to spell Wakan Tanka "Waka' Ta'ka" which makes absolutely no sense to me, but then again, having a Foreigner teach our language makes no sense either.

American Indian religion?  I don't know how you can clump all 500+ Sovereign Federally Recognized Tribes into one group......oh wait, you don't know squat about "them", thats right.

That's right. And by wiping out all reference to Native American names and imagery in our society will encourage everyone to learn more about "them".

Maybe we should change our name to the North Dakota Troopers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Troopers? I like it! Except the NCAA would still consider anything with an American Indian symbol in it to be "hostile and abusive."

A troop is part of the organizational structure of a cavalry unit. The term has been in use for centuries. The individual members of a cavalry unit and called "troopers," but state police, as you've noted, are also known as troopers. So why not the University of North Dakota Fighting Troopers?

Home football uniform

und_troopers.jpg

Road football uniform

und_trooper_vis.jpg

It's just a coincidence that the uniforms happen to look like this:

trooper.jpg

Troopers? I like it! Except the NCAA would still consider anything with an American Indian symbol in it to be "hostile and abusive."

A troop is part of the organizational structure of a cavalry unit. The term has been in use for centuries. The individual members of a cavalry unit and called "troopers," but state police, as you've noted, are also known as troopers. So why not the University of North Dakota Fighting Troopers?

Home football uniform

und_troopers.jpg

Road football uniform

und_trooper_vis.jpg

It's just a coincidence that the uniforms happen to look like this:

trooper.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NICE. ;)

However, the ND State Police Organizations would then be up in arms because Police officers and State Troopers are officers of peace, not war. :silly:

The question I still have is: If they reject the appeal (highly likely) and we lose the court case, forcing us to change the name (if I understand this correctly), how does this affect the REA?

They can leave them, but the REA can't host a playoff, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup. The NC$$'s ruling bans the use/display of American Indian nicknames, logos and mascots during post season tournaments. The only way any post season hockey action would take place at the REA would be to cover up the Sioux logos and the teams uniforms also could not display the Sioux logo.

So if UND changed its nickname, or just stopped having one all together, wouldn't REA be off the hook because the symbols in and around the building would no longer be those of a schools mascot? They'd just be the logo of a private company. The NCAA can't regulate private companies, can they?

After this season, the logos and Fighting Sioux references in the REA are a moot point for hockey. This is the last season that the NCAA will allow a playoff team to play on its home ice. But if the Ralph ever wanted to host another NCAA basketball tournament, it'd be out of luck because of the Sioux name and logos.

After this season, the logos and Fighting Sioux references in the REA are a moot point for hockey. This is the last season that the NCAA will allow a playoff team to play on its home ice. But if the Ralph ever wanted to host another NCAA basketball tournament, it'd be out of luck because of the Sioux name and logos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that right? So all regionals will be in NHL venues? Or are home teams just shipped to another region and the regionals will still be held in college venues?

There are already scheduled regionals (beyond next spring) scheduled for college arenas (I believe MN and Denver); will those two teams get shipped to another region if they make the NCAAs?

American Indian religion? I don't know how you can clump all 500+ Sovereign Federally Recognized Tribes into one group......oh wait, you don't know squat about "them", thats right.

And for your information, its Wakan Tanka (I'd would love to hear you even try to pronounce it...lol), the Buffalo are Pte' (Unless your from hollywood, then you'd use "tatanka"), and the Eagle is Wanbli, unless you are taking a Lakota class here on campus then you can spell it w/o the n, but you'd also have to spell Wakan Tanka "Waka' Ta'ka" which makes absolutely no sense to me, but then again, having a Foreigner teach our language makes no sense either.

What I probably should have said was, " ... in some American Indian religions are:"

Thanks for pointing out how ("foreigner") someone could easily get confused when moving around in the Siouxan languages. The whole "n" thing is a classic example. People think learning English is difficult.

Siouxfootballfield has come over to the d2football.com board and started making some rather big statements about things going on in DII and at UND.

Can anyone else verify any of this at all?

He is claiming that a name change is in the work and close to being done. Seems like with such a big change there would have been more rumors floating around. I can see UND working closely with the tribes in ND to come up with a compromise such as dropping "Fighting" or maybe even going as far as changing to Lakota, Nakota, or Dakota or something similar in order to keep the logo. Just changing the name would be easier than also trying to change the logo, especially in the Ralph.

Anyone know of any trueth behind this?

He is full of crap. He's started three threads over there tonight. One, that has since been removed, stating that Brian Kelley and another coach were part of a chat on D2football tonight. The other is about the D2 National Championship game being switched to Jan 1st. Everything he posted here was a load of cow turds and it's no different over there. :silly:

He is full of crap.  He's started three threads over there tonight. One, that has since been removed, stating that Brian Kelley and another coach were part of a chat on D2football tonight. The other is about the D2 National Championship game being switched to Jan 1st. Everything he posted here was a load of cow turds and it's no different over there. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Listening to him on this topic is akin to listening to Donald Duck about overcoming a speech impedement.

Diggler, you crack me up! ;):D:D Thanks for the laugh. :D