SiouxSports.com Forum

Who is Ryan Martens?

Goon

My son used to play against him so I know he is a Winnipeg native and started his junior career with the Selkirk Steelers in the MJHL. He was traded to Quesnel of the BCJHL two years ago. I recall that he had been a draft pick of the major junior team in Swift Current but I guess that route either didn't work out or he wanted to go the college route. Maybe he is insurance in case Kaip can't play because that will likely be his style of game.

I see the name Ryan Martens-RC (5/12/05) Quesnel (BCHL)?

I don't remember him signing or seeing anything about him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nephew of former Sioux Erwin Martens. There are posts concerning Martens coming to the Sioux in the recruits thread.

I think he might surprise some of us this year. He put up some pretty good numbers last year and even though I have never seen him play I have a feeling he will see some ice time. I think Rory McMahon was a recruited walk-on as well and looked how he turned out. Hopefully Martens can turn into the same type of team player that Rory was.

I've never seen Martens play, but my impression was that he has soft hands and is more a slick player than a grinder like Kaip or McMahon. I guess we'll see. (Although we might not see too much this year, since playing time will be very competitive.) As for McMahon, I thought he was a pretty hot commodity when he was recruited; I'm guessing he had a nice scholarship.

I've never seen Martens play, but my impression was that he has soft hands and is more a slick player than a grinder like Kaip or McMahon.  I guess we'll see.  (Although we might not see too much this year, since playing time will be very competitive.)  As for McMahon, I thought he was a pretty hot commodity when he was recruited; I'm guessing he had a nice scholarship.

I'd heard the same, and that he's a great kid with very good character.

I've never seen Martens play, but my impression was that he has soft hands and is more a slick player than a grinder like Kaip or McMahon.  I guess we'll see.  (Although we might not see too much this year, since playing time will be very competitive.)  As for McMahon, I thought he was a pretty hot commodity when he was recruited; I'm guessing he had a nice scholarship.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is my recollection of Rory McMahon as well. In fact, I think he had quite a few goals in juniors before coming to the Sioux. I was under the impression that he was a very good prospect.