SiouxSports.com Forum

Weston Dressler

crosby_87

To make numbers exact. Sproles currently 5'6 180 Q is 5'7 195. But remember that's now. They have quite a few years on Weston. The other thing is that it is no always how much you get hit, but how you get hit. Most "little" guys run low enough that they may not get that direct hit that hurts the most.

One huge difference between Sproles and Griffin versus Weston Dressler.  Weston Dressler is 5ft 6 160 pounds!!!!!!!!  Show me a legit half back playing d1 or d2 football thats 5ft 6 160.  Sproles and Griffin were both built like trucks and could take loads of punishment because of their stature.  They were certainly thicker and much more built then Dressler ever will be.  Dressler isn't thick in the least bit and his body would struggle to take the punishment of even divison 2 football to play running back.  Don't you think there is a reason why Lennon uses Dressler at Wide out and returns?  Don't you honestly think if he thought Dressler could have played RB at UND he would have made the switch by now?  Look at UND's roster for running backs.  None of them are 160 pounds.  Look at how NDSU uses Shamen Washington.  Same exact type of players.  But for the same reason as Dressler, Shamen will never be a feature back.  Absolutely electric on returns and when used in certain formations, he's very effective at making plays.  But certainly not at taking the punishment of an everyday back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The main part of my post did not have to do with making Dressler a RB. I said I'd like to see him given time at RB in spread formations. I don't see much point in occasionally putting him in the backfield until Strouth graduates though because of them being somewhat similar players. I was comparing him to Ginn and Hester who are both WR/returnmen whose teams' offense benefited when their coaching staff got the ball in their hands more. I'd like to see him get the ball around 15 times somehow during an average game. After playing the NCAA football games over the years, some (less conventional) ideas I have are a triple option with the RB being the option up the middle and the QB trailed by Dressler running outside or Strouth running an option play outside with the choice of pitching back to Dressler.

I brought up Sproles and Griffin since other comparisons had been made to small RB's. As a Sooners fan, I realize that Griffin and Sproyles both ended their college careers as being fairly muscular, but I wouldn't say either guy was built like a tank when they entered college. Sproles was listed at 5'7", 170 lbs. as a junior.

• 2 weeks later...
They should spread him around use him in a bunch of different ways. Remeber the Viks in 98 how they would put Palmer every where.  Sometimes he would even take the snap from the shot gunn. 

My point is utilize his speed and talents.  Put him in the back field and  toss him the ball.  Run the option and have him pitch back. Run reverses.  Screens passes.  He is fun to watch. Use him like Notre Dame use to use the Rocket.  He is the NORTH DAKOTA ROCKET.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crosby87 was right. Keep getting the ball, he makes things happen.

Dreston is a role player right now at UND - punt returns and as a wide receiver (and he's doing just fine!).  I for one am not willing to kick Strouth to the curb right now...or for the forseeable future.  The Sioux have a system where persistance pays off...just wait...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldnt agree more.....the role that Weston is playing seems to be working pretty damn well to me. I think putting him all over the field is the best way to use him...I know I wouldnt want to have to set up a Defensive skeem for that. I dont care what anyone says Weston will not be able to withstand the punishment of 20 plus carries agame on a weekly basis. Secondly I have no doubt that when Strouth is healthy he is the right man for the job...but it has been proven that someone even of his size (Little bigger and thicker then weston) cant hold up to the punishment......So lets all relax and agree with Lennon and how they are using Weston....I am just throwing this out there but I think Lennon knows what he is doing...Seems to be working just Fine!

Weston was the featured player on the Sioux Football show last night. Mussman stated they have 17-20 plays specifically designed for him in the backfield whether it's a run or pass. Lennon also mentioned that getting Dressler touches in different situations is part of the gameplan.

Herald story about Dressler being used in multiple ways.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/s...ta/12675941.htm

How big was Philip Moore?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

6'0", and around 175 to 180. Pound for pound, he had to be one of the most durable running backs ever at any level of college football considering his frame and the huge number of carries he had week after week for most of four years. As a sophomore, junior and senior, it seemed like he averaged well over 30 carries per game, and I don't recall him ever missing a start due to injury.

6'0", and around 175 to 180. Pound for pound, he had to be one of the most durable running backs ever at any level of college football considering his frame and the huge number of carries he had week after week for most of four years. As a sophomore, junior and senior, it seemed like he averaged well over 30 carries per game, and I don't recall him ever missing a start due to injury.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He may have been listed as 6'0", but he actually isn't that tall.

I love how the Sioux use him. They utilize his whole game. Whether it be screen passes or draws off of Shotgun formations. They understood from the beginning that he's a playmaker and that he's one of those rare players that can make anything happen at any point in the game. I guess I'd compare him to a smaller division 2 version of Reggie Bush. Everytime he touches the ball you have to worry about him taking it to the house. Every week I see him play, he impresses me more and more. Guess it just shows ya that you can't teach heart.

I love how the Sioux use him.  They utilize his whole game.  Whether it be screen passes or draws off of Shotgun formations.  They understood from the beginning that he's a playmaker and that he's one of those rare players that can make anything happen at any point in the game.  I guess I'd compare him to a smaller division 2 version of Reggie Bush.  Everytime he touches the ball you have to worry about him taking it to the house.  Every week I see him play, he impresses me more and more.  Guess it just shows ya that you can't teach heart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice, Nice comparison on the Reggie Bush. I kinda think of him as a Devin Hester from Miami(on kick returns), and a reggie bush when he has the ball in his hands on the offense.

If you own a Porsche - you don't race it EVERY DAY (or every play) just because it's a Porsche! :D I think the UND coaches have a great plan for Weston - maximum potential with minimum risk - one stupid play and he's out guys! What's that old saying....restraint is the better part of valor?? (or something like that :) )

Dressler is the new... Zach Parise? (Bismarck Tribune)

Watchable moments are growing because Dressler is becoming a bigger part of the offense. He leads the team in yards per touch in four categories - kickoff returns (35.0 yards per return), punt returns (13.8 yards), receiving (16.6 yards) and rushing (9.8 yards).
"It's a lot of fun to go back to tailback while still getting time at wide receiver," he said. "I'm sure not complaining about it. As long as it's an opportunity to help the team, I have no preference on what position I play."

Dressler has had several distinctions at UND, including being the first true freshman to play since current Minnesota Vikings player Jim Kleinsasser in 1995. Not even Kleinsasser was an all-conference pick, as Dressler was last season. He also led all Division II players in punt return yardage.
He's showing those same skills at the next level with a simple strategy:

"I run to where no one else is," he said.