SiouxSports.com Forum

namechange

WWPKD

No change whatsoever is obviously the best idea but if Native Americans are gonna bitch and moan for another 150 years then they should just ad lib Proud in front of everything. Heres your University of North Dakota Proud Fighting Sioux scoring, scoring his first goal of his collegiate carrer, #2 Brian Lee. See that doesnt sound too bad. That minor change could muffle the sound of the complaints about offensive nicknames.

I think that the Native Americans in Grand Forks and all of North Dakota should be proud of their states team and start bleeding White and Green like the rest of us. Even if the nickname was White Devil Honkeys i wouldnt give a damn as long as they are still making the Frozen Four.

We can't be the Fighting Norskies because there are not enough Norwegian programs at UND to cater to us. In fact I think we are 29 short.

There also is no free tuition for Norwegians.

Truth be told, the only thing the Norwegians get is the PC Faythe Thureen. No thank you. I will wait until she resigns before I would ever take a Norwegian course at UND.

As contender for the Crown of the Kingdom of Bohemia, I proudly offer the name of my people, the 'Battlin' Bohemians' with an image of my likeness (as created by Bennet Brein) to adorn the halls of the Ralph Englestadt Hradec (Bohemian for castle) and the festoon the uniforms of the sports teams. Terms for the deal can be arranged by contacting my lawyer.

In the event, however unlikely that it may hopefully be, that the Fighting Sioux goes the way of the buffalo, me thinks that there really should be no other name put in place.

The activists are attempting to force a name change. Why give them that pleasure?

If the Sioux name is dropped, then me things that we should simply and forever be known as NORTH DAKOTA. No nickname. No logos. No bs.

Just plain NORTH DAKOTA.

Simple. Proud. True. Forever mindful that we were once the Fighting Sioux.

In the event, however unlikely that it may hopefully be, that the Fighting Sioux goes the way of the buffalo,  me thinks that there really should be no other name put in place.

The activists are attempting to force  a name change.  Why give them that pleasure?

If the Sioux name is dropped, then me things that we should simply and forever be known as NORTH DAKOTA.  No nickname.  No logos.  No bs. 

Just plain NORTH DAKOTA.

Simple.  Proud.  True.  Forever mindful that we were once the Fighting Sioux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but it's interesting to here what people have to say about different name possibilities. I like the UND Beer Guzzlers or Beer Chuggers.

I think UND has plenty of beer drinkers and then UND could start up programs for people to become Brew Masters.

In the event, however unlikely that it may hopefully be, that the Fighting Sioux goes the way of the buffalo,  me thinks that there really should be no other name put in place.

The activists are attempting to force  a name change.  Why give them that pleasure?

If the Sioux name is dropped, then me things that we should simply and forever be known as NORTH DAKOTA.  No nickname.  No logos.  No bs. 

Just plain NORTH DAKOTA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't the term Dakota refer to, and unfairly sterotype a group of people? :glare:

This one is easy folks.

If "Fighting Sioux" is "hostile and abusive" replace the name with the name of the greatest enemy of the Sioux.

Not only would you be protecting the Sioux you'd be "hostile and abusive" to their greatest enemy! Double win, right?

University of North Dakota Cavalry.

Chants of "Go Sioux!" made them upset. Chants of "Go Cavalry!" should make them happy, right?

And thus we've shown the name-change "logic" doesn't pass muster.

This one is easy folks.

If "Fighting Sioux" is "hostile and abusive" replace the name with the name of the greatest enemy of the Sioux.

Not only would you be protecting the Sioux you'd be "hostile and abusive" to their greatest enemy! Double win, right?

Chants of "Go Sioux!" made them upset. Chants of "Go Cavalry!" should make them happy, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Note the NCAA intentionally excluded caricatures of white people from its ruling, such as the "Fighting Irish". Because the calvary are also white people, they presumably aren't considered hostile and offensive like indians. Then there's the added benefit that they no longer exist, so they aren't likely to whine about our use of the name.

I suggest, though, that we keep some portion of our present name if possible, and be the "Fighting Cavalry" instead of just the "Cavalry".

John

We can't be the Fighting Norskies because there are not enough Norwegian programs at UND to cater to us. In fact I think we are 29 short.

There also is no free tuition for Norwegians.

Truth be told, the only thing the Norwegians get is the PC Faythe Thureen. No thank you. I will wait until she resigns before I would ever take a Norwegian course at UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Natives don't get free Tuition.....your ignorance spreads like a wildfire amongst your kind. Of course you Sioux Lovers (not the Real Sioux, of course) don't do your history and just assume before you speak/type. Dummy.

And by the way, all but 2 of the programs are funded from outside of the State, meaning they have to PAY to be on campus, do your homework. Man, how many times does this have to be explained over and over, just because y'all are to ignorant (or stupid, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt), to do your homework.

Just plain NORTH DAKOTA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No matter what sweatshirt you wear or what tattoos you get, you'll never be SIOUX. You don't have what it takes, sorry.

This one is easy folks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like that!!! That way I have an excuse to not hold back on campus. Lets run w/ that Sica!!!!

Note the NCAA intentionally excluded caricatures of white people from its ruling, such as the "Fighting Irish". Because the calvary are also white people, they presumably aren't considered hostile and offensive like indians. Then there's the added benefit that they no longer exist, so they aren't likely to whine about our use of the name.

I suggest, though, that we keep some portion of our present name if possible, and be the "Fighting Cavalry" instead of just the "Cavalry".

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Cavalry aren't a people. Of course you will never get it. Also, I don't remember the last time I seen a leprechaun, but I do remember the last time I seen a Sioux, or thousands of them, just recently actually......

The Cavalry aren't a people. Of course you will never get it. Also, I don't remember the last time I seen a leprechaun, but I do remember the last time I seen a Sioux, or thousands of them, just recently actually......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So we're in agreement about this then - since the Fighting Cavalry aren't a people and you don't remember the last time you "seen" one, it should do just fine. Problem solved!

The Cavalry aren't a people.  Of course you will never get it. Also, I don't remember the last time I seen a leprechaun, but I do remember the last time I seen a Sioux, or thousands of them, just recently actually......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Leprechauns may not be "a people", but the Irish certainly are. Notre Dame's nickname is "Fighting Irish" not "Fighting Leprechauns." Their logo is a caricature of a drunken, brawling Irishman. And they have a mascot. The only difference is that the Irish aren't hyper-sensitive. And neither are the vast majority of American Indians...just the ones that have been brainwashed by their white elitist professors. Of course you will never get it.