SiouxSports.com Forum

Enrollment steady despite tougher admission

jimdahl

I am a fan of admissions plus standards such as that used by UND for undergraduates, but to present it the way it is in the Forum is deceiving.

I am sure there are dozens, if not hundreds of freshman, who did not have a 2.5 GPA/21 ACT or higher, and who were admitted "after review" under UND's new admission policy.

Oops -- since my point was the effect on enrollment rather than the details of the actual standard, the Forum's misleading description of the admissions standard snuck by me. My apologies, any misrepresentation was the result of quoting a bad source rather than intent.

UND makes it clear and it is understood on this forum that those are the standards for automatic admission, which meeting will grant admission with absolutely no further review required. Obviously plenty of people subject to subsequent review do get in.

Oops -- since my point was the effect on enrollment rather than the details of the actual standard, the Forum's misleading description of the admissions standard snuck by me. My apologies, any misrepresentation was the result of quoting a bad source rather than intent.

UND makes it clear and it is understood on this forum that those are the standards for automatic admission, which meeting will grant admission with absolutely no further review required. Obviously plenty of people subject to subsequent review do get in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I should have been more careful in my post as well, as I knew that not the intent of yours. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point...UND and NDSU are pretty similar on admissions...both want the 2.5 and the 21, but both will adjust if one is lower and the other is higher. That just makes good sense to me....

So if a student got a 20 on act and had a 2.4 or something would they still be allowed in or how strict are they getting?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go here:

http://www.undeerc.org/enrollmentservices/matrix/

You can type in a gpa and an ACT and it lets you know. For the 2.4 and the 20, your application would have to be reviewed by committee, it wouldn't be automatic. In general, if you're below the 2.5/21 on one, you have to be above on the other. With a 2.4, a 22 on the ACT would get you in, provided you had the appropriate high school courses....

I am a fan of admissions plus standards such as that used by UND for undergraduates, but to present it the way it is in the Forum is deceiving.

I am sure there are dozens, if not hundreds of freshman, who did not have a 2.5 GPA/21 ACT or higher, and who were admitted "after review" under UND's new admission policy.

UND's Admissions Plus Matrix

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some of what the "experts" were talking about when predicting the 500 to 600 student drop was the number of students who didn't even bother applying. These students assumed the committee would choose to deny them, so they looked at other schools.

While it is true that students were admitted by committee decision and not soley by the automatic standards, there were students that were turned off by the concept of "automatic vs. committee" admissions and just didn't apply.

• 5 months later...

Spring update

UND's final enrollment numbers for the spring semester are in, showing a slight decline from last year's record enrollment of 12,376. According to UND Associate Director of University Relations Peter Johnson, the final tally stands at 12,321 - a decline of 0.4 percent.
Numbers look pretty good. Even with the change in admissions, about the same as last Spring.

And the NDConnect program continues to be loved...

Recruiting program faces possible cuts

"I may even recommend to the board that we postpone (the international recruitment program) until we get (ConnectND) fixed," Potts said. He went on to describe the situation with ConnectND as a "near-emergency situation."

Tougher standards = less students.

Short-term, yes, because people may not apply because of the fear of not being admitted.

Long-term, no, because you have better retention of students after freshman year (fewer washouts).

Long-term, no, because you have better graduation rates from those folks too.

And long-term, no, because "From an annual survey of an incoming freshmen, we know that every year the majority of them indicate that the number one reason they have selected UND is the academic reputation of the institution. With the new admission standards, nearly one-third of the factors that US News uses to rank colleges will increase. This is an important factor in student recruitment." (That quote is from the Associate VP of Enrollment at UND.) Higher standards means better reputation means better recruitment.

But I would like to see evidence that UND's average ACT and/or SAT score has increased. Is that available?

The person to ask would be Alice L. Hoffert, Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management at UND.

Those oh-so tough new standards at UND have caused enrollment to slip less than 1% but the rank and reputation of UND to increase: Short-term (very small) hit for a long-term goal.

ACT trends

Definitely a slight bump to an all-time high in average ACT score upon entrance.

You really see it in that link when you look at the plots in the lower right corner, namely the 2005 data compared to the other years data. You can see an upward (rightward on the plots) shift happening in the ACT scores coming in to UND. Looking year-by-year, the center of the bell-shaped curve is moving to higher ACT scores. That's good.

The other thing I see in those same plots is fewer of the marginal scores (17-19, 17 and below) in the freshmen at UND in 2005. Better scores means better prepared for college which should mean better retention (less washout).

• 2 weeks later...