SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

NCAA hypocritical on mascot issue

The NCAA excluded UNC-Pembroke from the banned list, because the school has over a 20 percent American Indian population. UND has over 400 American Indians enrolled in their school.

Mixed message? Most definitely. The NCAA is supposed to signify cohesiveness and a spirit of togetherness. Historically, that's what the American Indian has stood for. Sitting Bull, the legendary Sioux chief, represented dignity, even in defeat, and never gave up fighting for what he thought was right. Arkansas State should do the same.

We're going to win this thing and when we do, it will be the NC$$ that will be reimbursing us the cost of our legal fees.

I'm certainly no legal expert, but I really hope that this is EXACTLY what happens.

All the blather about how much this lawsuit costs-I don't know why the cost shouldn't be transfered over to the party who created the need for it (assuming the lawsuit goes the way we all want it to).

A lot of people talk about the cost of lawsuits and the NCAA's unlimited funds. People don't tend to remember the Tarkanian suit or the Assistant Coach's lawsuit. Those two ended up with the NCAA paying out money.

http://12angrymen.wordpress.com/2007/03/02...and-favoritism/

Somehow San Diego State got left off the list! What a tragedy! But of course, it must be an honest mistake. Right? I mean, obviously since they call themselves the Aztecs and use a blatent caricature of a Native American leader, Montezuma, as their official mascot they are in clear violation just like all of the other schools. Surely this is simply an oversight on the part of the NCAA who just happened to miss the school.

Who has the time to look through all of their mascots? It isn

Once again... not exactly nickname related directly, but this week is UND's annual Time-Out Week and Wacipi. A schedule of events can be found at the end of the article... but the powwow is Fri, Sat, and Sun... I'm hoping to get the chance to go to this as it should be an amazing display of colors and traditions.

UND: Time-Out Week and Wacipi offers array of talent

Ironic the web that gets weaved: educated at and later became writer-in-residence at Dartmouth, her deceased husband was formerly the head of the Indian Studies department at Dartmouth, and she currently lives in the Minneapolis intelligentsia community. Would have been shocked if she hadn't turned down the honorary degree.

Still admire her as a person though. Hard to believe her Love Medicine and Beet Queen(set in Grafton/Drayton but renamed Argus) novels are more than 20 years old.

Dartmouth Class of 1976

Louise Erdrich (b. 1954). Born in Little Falls, Minnesota, Erdrich grew up in Wahpeton, North Dakota, a member of the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa. Her grandfather was for many years tribal chair of the reservation where her parents taught in the Bureau of Indian Affairs School.

She attended Dartmouth College, earning a degree in anthropology (1976) as well as prizes for fiction and poetry, including the American Academy of Poets Prize. She returned to North Dakota for a brief period of teaching before going on to study creative writing at Johns Hopkins University (M.A., 1979). The following year, she returned to Dartmouth as a writer-in-residence.

Minnesota author Louise Erdrich has rejected an honorary degree from the University of North Dakota because it continues to use the "Fighting Sioux" team name and logo -- a contentious and litigious issue in Grand Forks.
It would be interesting to see how many other honorary degrees she has accepted; and from whom...... :(

Holy cow! After what has come to light about Dartmouth, and I were her, I take the honorary degree from UND and throw away the Dartmouth one in a heartbeat.

A few moments of research turns up this: She was the winner of an award from the Great Lakes Colleges Association: http://www.answers.com/topic/louise-erdrich (look under Prizewinning First Novel).

And the Great Lakes Colleges Association consists of (warning-controversial material ahead, not for our more sensitive readers) Wabash University, Earlham College, Wooster, Albion and Kenyon College, among others.

Wabash: Little Giants (BLATENT HEIGHTISM and from an ALL-MALE SCHOOL, no less!!)

Earlham: Quakers (MAKING FUN OF RELIGION!)

Wooster: Scots (CULTURAL INSENSITIVITY TO NATIVE EUROPEANS!)

Albion: Britons (see outrage above under Wooster)

Kenyon: Lords and Ladies (TOTAL DISREGARD OF INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVMENT AND GLORIFICATION OF INHEIRTED STATUS)

I'm sure by now she's thrown that award back, or held a public burning, or something.

I'll get blasted for posting this, but here it is anyway. Slide 13 mentions the University of Illinois.
Which I don't mind. But why does the blog single out Illinois?

The NCAA banned "hostile and abusive" mascots in 2005, prompting an outcry at places like the University of Illinois, which agonized about the fate of its Chief Illiniwek, who for decades did a halftime war dance at home games. Illinois relented, though, and in February, Illiniwek's headdress and buckskins were packed away for good.
"War dance": hardly. But, demonizing Chief Illiniwek fits their agenda, so accuracy be damned.

"Banned hostile and abusive mascots": except at FSU, SDSU, Pembroke, Bradley.... and any place that had a mascot that they couldn't somehow tie to native Americans: e.g. Notre Dame.

Wahoo was called "racist, degrading and demeaning" by the American Indian Education Center in Cleveland during one of many protests over the years. To no avail.
(emphasis added) Ah, of course. Since they criticized it, they must be right!

"A film critic said that 'Titanic' is a waste of time and shouldn't get an Oscar. To no avail."

"A pro football writer said that Reggie Bush shouldn't be NFL Rookie of the Year. To no avail."

:)

I know that these are not stories about the Sioux name. But I believe they are about the same issue.

It's getting so a person can't say, think, or do anything anymore without having it ok'd by 'the powers that be'. In today's news a high school English teacher's job on the line because as school newspaper advisor she allowed a piece on tolerance. The tolerance was for gay students. The article was not about homosexuality but about tolerance.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18268259/

A college professor was fired from his job because while speaking of the VT tragedy because he demonstrated that the gunman could have been stopped if someone else had a gun. IMHO, his demonstration was not in good taste but to fire him!?!?!

The school says it doesn't condone the use of "discriminatory or obscene language."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18275938/?GT1=9246

My opinion on the Imus issue is that he is a jack ass. But should he have been fired?!? This makes me think, not.

When advertisers can force the media, in this case CBS, to fire an employee for something they said, they are essentially deciding what is and is not appropriate for public consumption. They are not just threatening freedom of speech, but also the right of the people to decide what they listen to.
http://media.www.themichiganjournal.com/me...ollegeheadlines

My opinion on the Imus issue is that he is a jack ass. But should he have been fired?!? This makes me think, not.

http://media.www.themichiganjournal.com/me...ollegeheadlines

If a business choses not to advertise on Imus' or any other show, that is its perogative, IMHO. By the same token, placing random declarations on what is abusive or offensive (NCAA's view toward the Fighting Sioux name) is an entirely different matter. No UND advertisers are threatening to remove their support because of the Sioux name. If that happens (doubt it ever would), then the free market and public opinion have spoken, which is the way the world should work.

If a business choses not to advertise on Imus' or any other show, that is its perogative, IMHO. By the same token, placing random declarations on what is abusive or offensive (NCAA's view toward the Fighting Sioux name) is an entirely different matter. No UND advertisers are threatening to remove their support because of the Sioux name. If that happens (doubt it ever would), then the free market and public opinion have spoken, which is the way the world should work.

So you don't see a connection?

All news services are dependent on money from advertisers/donors. If a money source doesn't like the way the news is presented or doesn't like the news, should the news service change the facts even though it's the wrong thing to do? If they don't, they don't get money and then they can't present the news anyway. You're saying that we are subject to the money sources views on what is 'good news' and what is 'unacceptable news.

The NC$$ is telling some institutions of higher learning what is 'hostile or abusive' in names. logos, mascots. If we don't agree with them, we don't get to play in their post season games unless we change. We don't change, we can't play. We change, we are agreeing with their opinion on what is 'hostile or abusive'.

Is that the public opinion and free market talking or money?