SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

And *who* is the beneficiary of your alleged fight? Alums who can thump Sioux logos on our overpriced jerseys and sweatshirts? Sure, we can beat the NC$$ in court, and public opinion, and do what? We may have a judgment that probably will not extend beyond GF County. We can rightfully point out the hypocrisy of the NC$$, and schools have decided to not schedule UND because of the name/logo, and keep ourselves warm with insults against pencil-neck PC losers.

However, is the school better served because more natural rivals like Wisco, Iowa or Minnesota refuse to schedule our teams? Will we feel better, or draw enough fans, playing Northern Illinois or Central Florida? Will we draw the fans and other support necessary to support these programs? Are you more proud of UND as an institution, or the name/logo?

I've always expressed support for the name/logo, so long as the school and its students were not adversely affected by it. Well, it seems like the holes are starting to appear on the dikes. A smooth, finanically viable move to D1 takes precedence over the name/logo IMO.

As far as "weak knees" ... I'll be in St. Louis for the Frozen Four if you really want to finish this discussion.

Just because PC ninny institutions like UMTC, WISCO and IOWA (pink visting FB locker room and all), institute "policies" supporting an irrational and racially motivated NC00 mandate we are supposed to stop defending UND against baseless allegations of institutional racism? Racist policies of UMTC, WISCO and IOWA buttressing an even more racially sinister NC00 policy and UND still winds up being labeled the racist institution? Lest we forget, the onus of "racism" is on the NC00 as it has always been the one invoking the concept. Conceptually, it is no different that the ravings of loons like Al Sharpton or his polar opposite, David Duke. It's insane. What the majority needs to do is get motivated like the small cadre of PC nazis. Of course, the people in the majority have jobs, lives, families, jobs that actually stimulate the mind, so they don't have time to fixate on such madness like the college professors during their office hours or sub-par decade-long students. Seriously, is anyone in the alumni department doing anything to organize people around the country to contact their legislators?

From Indian Country Today:

Anti-mascot movement made headway in 2006

The decades-old effort to abolish the use of sports logos considered racist, offensive and damaging by American Indians advanced significantly in 2006, despite opposition and a well-funded attempt by pro-mascot lobbyists to pass a law that would protect universities from banning their ''Indian'' trademarks.
The UND has refused to abandon its ''Fighting Sioux'' nickname and has sued the NCAA in state district court in Grand Forks alleging breach of contract and unlawful restraint on trade. The judge issued a preliminary injunction in November allowing UND to keep its nickname without penalty until April, when a trial is scheduled, but has urged both sides to settle out of court.

''Although the NCAA executive committee continues to believe the stereotypes of Native Americans is wrong, it recognizes that a Native American tribe is a distinct political community,'' said NCAA Senior Vice President Bernard Franklin. ''Therefore, it respects the authority of the tribe to permit university and colleges to use its name and imagery.''

From the Valley News Dispatch:

Crimson Hawks choice for new IUP nickname

After more than 15 years of debate and analysis, Indiana University of Pennsylvania officials appear to have finally solved the controversy surrounding the school's moniker.

Last Friday, IUP's Council of Trustees nixed the longstanding "Indians" moniker and announced the university's athletic teams now will be known as the Crimson Hawks. IUP opted for the switch in nomenclature after the NCAA Executive Committee ruled in May that the university's previous nickname was deemed hostile or abusive to Native Americans.

Following Internet polls, surveys, and focus groups, Crimson Hawks emerged as the clear-cut favorite by a two-to-one margin over two other proposed nicknames--the Crimson Thunder and Grey Wolves--that were chosen as semi-finalists from among numerous suggestions.

In an effort to preserve the past, IUP passed a motion to recognize Native American cultures, events and achievements each November.

"I think (the new name) is creative and something people can wrap their arms around," Davies said.

From Indian Country Today:

Harjo: 2006 Mantle of Shame Awards

It's time to review the year for the shameful and shameless, with a warning: there aren't a lot of yuks this year. The Mantle of Shame Awards are the written version of collections of stereotypical stuff I once kept on a fireplace mantle to represent the worst that society had to offer.
''Indian Fight Club'' - Those who fight living Indian peoples over fictional ''Indian'' sports references - such as the University of North Dakota, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the Washington professional football club - and who fight Native peoples in courts and Congress in order to keep ''honoring'' us with their disparaging names, imagery and behaviors.

''Indian giver'' - The University of Utah, which begged the Ute peoples to let them keep their ''Ute'' sports references, then reneged on its promise of scholarships for Ute students.

Retro Dartmouth Review - For its full front-page ''cartoon'' of a scalp-waving ''Indian on warpath.'' For its relentless effort to bring back the good old days of Dartmouth College's ''Indians'' sports references, which it dropped over 30 years ago. Kudos to the Native Americans at Dartmouth (Go NADs) for withstanding indignities with dignity and to those administrators and faculty members who backed them.

From the Valley News Dispatch:

After more than 15 years of debate and analysis, Indiana University of Pennsylvania officials appear to have finally solved the controversy surrounding the school's moniker.
And by saying "solved", we mean we have made the vast majority of our fans and supporters unhappy, and we expect them to just shut up, give up but certainly keep on supporting us at the same level they have before.

.... Crimson Hawks emerged as the clear-cut favorite by a two-to-one margin over two other proposed nicknames--the Crimson Thunder and Grey Wolves--that were chosen as semi-finalists from among numerous suggestions.

Chosen by whom???

In an effort to preserve the past...
And by saying "past", we mean "financial support from people who are disappointed at losing this tradition for no good reason at all but was done merely to shut up some PC whiners who will now move on to the next 'outrage' ".

"I think (the new name) is creative and something people can wrap their arms around," Davies said.

Yes, thanks for sharing. What took you so long to find this thing that people can finally wrap their arms around? Why do you think people couldn't wrap their arms around "Indians"? Why do you think those people who saw nothing wrong with the former nickname will accept this??.

:lol:

There seems to be some discussion of Minnesota's "advisory committee" here. We at Illinois have a Student-Faculty Senate, and they've been against Chief and the nickname for quite a while. I'm not suprised that a faculty committe at Minnesota has taken a similar preachy stand. Its symbolic, cheap and harmless to them. Of course, actually going to a reservation (or any underprivliged community either within the US or internationally) is something they haven't considered. But lectures? Sure, we can do that. Wait, we're coming out with an advisory policy on shoes, coffee and Venezeulan oil real soon.

In short, you can't force someone to play you. All you can do is continue to be the best team you can, and wait for them in the NCAA's. And play those teams who will play you, and wait for the "Minnesota is hiding behind their 'policy' because they're afraid they'll lose to North Dakota" stories in the newspaper.

One last though-is Minnesota a Nike school? This advisory committee seems like they've got a LOT of time on their hands. Have they come down with a pronouncement regarding Nike's sweatshop labor, egregious corporate profitering, etc? If so, has the Minnesota AD done anything about that???

There seems to be some discussion of Minnesota's "advisory committee" here. We at Illinois have a Student-Faculty Senate, and they've been against Chief and the nickname for quite a while. I'm not suprised that a faculty committe at Minnesota has taken a similar preachy stand. Its symbolic, cheap and harmless to them. Of course, actually going to a reservation (or any underprivliged community either within the US or internationally) is something they haven't considered. But lectures? Sure, we can do that. Wait, we're coming out with an advisory policy on shoes, coffee and Venezeulan oil real soon.

In short, you can't force someone to play you. All you can do is continue to be the best team you can, and wait for them in the NCAA's. And play those teams who will play you, and wait for the "Minnesota is hiding behind their 'policy' because they're afraid they'll lose to North Dakota" stories in the newspaper.

One last though-is Minnesota a Nike school? This advisory committee seems like they've got a LOT of time on their hands. Have they come down with a pronouncement regarding Nike's sweatshop labor, egregious corporate profitering, etc? If so, has the Minnesota AD done anything about that???

Of course not. That would take too much time and may result in the free uniforms and other sports equipment that may be donated to the school by Nike in exchange for the right to advertise. Is there anything that the Illinois U.S. reps are doing to address this business? I thought that one sponsor of some legislation was from Illinois. ND's clowns can't be counted on because they were/are in the hip pockets of some of the tribes (See Jack Abramhoff (sp?) scandal). I live in MN and our reps are just as bad. Even our republican senator is a mushy weenie. Good points all.

Seriously, a stale UMN policy gets publicly restated, complete with backpedalling and excuses, and we start to eat our own? Is it that easy? The premier center for higher learning in North Dakota is accused of institutionalized racism and you're worried about missing a game against a crappy D-1 program?

taz

And what's to stop these same pencil necks from viewing applications from UND students/alums in the same light as they view the teams? The same people who institute these policies may also be the same people who review applications for professional and grad schools. If you're so myopic as to think these people would not make that leap at some level, you haven't been following this discussion or fully appreciate the fact they are completely divorced from reality, which explains why they are in academia.

There are a lot of people in the Twin Cities that have expressed outrage in the past couple of days. It has been a topic of discussion on KFAN radio and everyone thought it was ridiculous. Many UMTC supporters believe that it shows real weakness in the athletic department and they don't like it. Lou Nanne, former Minnesota North Star player and general manager was asked about the decision when he was making a weekly appearance. He is a big Gopher supporter and a friend of Maturi. He said that it was a really bad decision by the advisory council and that Maturi was being pushed into it. He pointed out that UND has a large alumni base in the Twin Cities that would buy a lot of tickets for games, plus the relationship built in hockey made it a good rivalry. So I am not positive that the policy will be enforced long term.

Overall, great post. But that "outrage" heard will quickly dissipate into nothing. I've seen this pattern way too many times. More importantly, Maturi has dug in his heels on this one. UND will have to wait until Maturi is gone and then take a stab at the new AD.

Overall, great post. But that "outrage" heard will quickly dissipate into nothing. I've seen this pattern way too many times. More importantly, Maturi has dug in his heels on this one. UND will have to wait until Maturi is gone and then take a stab at the new AD.

I don't think Maturi will be around long. He's about as popular of an a.d. as Glen Mason is as a football coach, or as Dan Monson was as a basketball coach. If he makes an unpopular decision in the men's basketball coach hire, he's done IMO.

And what's to stop these same pencil necks from viewing applications from UND students/alums in the same light as they view the teams? The same people who institute these policies may also be the same people who review applications for professional and grad schools. If you're so myopic as to think these people would not make that leap at some level, you haven't been following this discussion or fully appreciate the fact they are completely divorced from reality, which explains why they are in academia.

This would end up in court so fast it would make your head spin. This is why we measure things like GPA's, quantify scores on GMAT's, LSAT's, etc.

Just because PC ninny institutions like UMTC, WISCO and IOWA (pink visting FB locker room and all), institute "policies" supporting an irrational and racially motivated NC00 mandate we are supposed to stop defending UND against baseless allegations of institutional racism? Racist policies of UMTC, WISCO and IOWA buttressing an even more racially sinister NC00 policy and UND still winds up being labeled the racist institution? Lest we forget, the onus of "racism" is on the NC00 as it has always been the one invoking the concept. Conceptually, it is no different that the ravings of loons like Al Sharpton or his polar opposite, David Duke. It's insane. What the majority needs to do is get motivated like the small cadre of PC nazis. Of course, the people in the majority have jobs, lives, families, jobs that actually stimulate the mind, so they don't have time to fixate on such madness like the college professors during their office hours or sub-par decade-long students. Seriously, is anyone in the alumni department doing anything to organize people around the country to contact their legislators?

Contact their legislators? And tell them to do what exactly? Make them put UND on the U sports schedule? If we want a public backlash, lets see what happens when the MN house reconvenes and Pogemiller says some boosters are wasting his time trying to change a policy he wholeheartedly agrees with, concerning a nickname he finds offensive, all the while he is trying to fund healthcare for uninsured MN children. Don't think that SoB wouldn't do it either. That's just the state reps, God knows what the Federal reps would say about it. Don't make this political. Lest we forget, Minnesota is snuggled right between California and Massachussetts on the political spectrum. It's not like in ND.

Either persuade the advisory comittee, or wait out the clock on Maturi. I think that's the best shot at success.

Contact their legislators? And tell them to do what exactly? Make them put UND on the U sports schedule? If we want a public backlash, lets see what happens when the MN house reconvenes and Pogemiller says some boosters are wasting his time trying to change a policy he wholeheartedly agrees with, concerning a nickname he finds offensive, all the while he is trying to fund healthcare for uninsured MN children. Don't think that SoB wouldn't do it either. That's just the state reps, God knows what the Federal reps would say about it. Don't make this political. Lest we forget, Minnesota is snuggled right between California and Massachussetts on the political spectrum. It's not like in ND.

Either persuade the advisory comittee, or wait out the clock on Maturi. I think that's the best shot at success.

My point is to have the fed. legislators support legislation reigning in the tactics of the NC00. There was some movement on this earlier this year. I agree that MN is a god-forsaken leftist state but this state is remarkably getting more right as the years go by. I'd give it another 100 or so. The point is that we have an abusive entity with a lot of power that is exercising that significant power in an ad hoc manner to the detriment of other parties. We have laws for banks and other institutions limiting powers that they have and protecting parties affected by those powers. It would be no different for the NCAA. While it is a "non-profit," and there is plenty to show that it really is not, it can still be regulated and it should be regulated hard. It is a de facto monopoly and should be busted up. If the legislators had the balls to do it in 1984 against Ma Bell, they could conceivably grow balls again and do it to the NC00.

My point is to have the fed. legislators support legislation reigning in the tactics of the NC00. There was some movement on this earlier this year. I agree that MN is a god-forsaken leftist state but this state is remarkably getting more right as the years go by. I'd give it another 100 or so. The point is that we have an abusive entity with a lot of power that is exercising that significant power in an ad hoc manner to the detriment of other parties. We have laws for banks and other institutions limiting powers that they have and protecting parties affected by those powers. It would be no different for the NCAA. While it is a "non-profit," and there is plenty to show that it really is not, it can still be regulated and it should be regulated hard. It is a de facto monopoly and should be busted up. If the legislators had the balls to do it in 1984 against Ma Bell, they could conceivably grow balls again and do it to the NC00.

I always love that one. :D

This would end up in court so fast it would make your head spin. This is why we measure things like GPA's, quantify scores on GMAT's, LSAT's, etc.

State your cause(s) of action. Being an alum or student of a specific university that uses a "hostile or abusive" team/logo doesn't make you a member of a protected class, even under the Roberts Court. If you think admissions to grad and professional schools are completely objective and based on test scores, grades, etc., you are in for a really rude awakening.

It seems the only people in this fight who think there's a chance in hell of a district court judgment in Grand Forks County holding any water outside of North Dakota's borders are the non-lawyers who think a parking ticket will get them in front of the US Supreme Court.

And if you think I'm alone in my thinking in this:

Acknowledge and continue to assess the impact of the divisive and controversial nature of the Fighting Sioux athletic nickname and logos. (Ca:ongoing)
From UND's Strategic Plan. I didn't see anything in there about fighting to the last appeal, last dollar spent or to make a point about the absurdity of the NC$$ and certain schools' views on the issue.

More Dartmouth

Very interesting perspective, this was taken from the comments of the article. Seems to me UND doesn't have half the problems DU has.

Brrrr...It appears that some Ivy League students need to take a chill pill to warm up their cold-blooded hearts and attitudes towards minorities. Time to turn up the heat on the ol

State your cause(s) of action. Being an alum or student of a specific university that uses a "hostile or abusive" team/logo doesn't make you a member of a protected class, even under the Roberts Court. If you think admissions to grad and professional schools are completely objective and based on test scores, grades, etc., you are in for a really rude awakening.

It seems the only people in this fight who think there's a chance in hell of a district court judgment in Grand Forks County holding any water outside of North Dakota's borders are the non-lawyers who think a parking ticket will get them in front of the US Supreme Court.

From UND's Strategic Plan. I didn't see anything in there about fighting to the last appeal, last dollar spent or to make a point about the absurdity of the NC$$ and certain schools' views on the issue.

I think we only need to look at the newly passed Michigan law against racial preferences to understand that when the people speak, the courts sometimes have to listen.

I think most of us are aware that we are not fighting a first amendment case here and understand the best position for our case is to go after the subjective and improper manner of applying rules in the realm of a private enterprise created by a contract and by-laws...Plain and simple, you must live up to your contract. To that extent, I, and I'm sure a majority of others, feel to make this go farther we need the legislative muscle exhibited - much like striking down racial preferences in Michigan. But alas, we know we have Democrats who take a large amount of money from the native americans and thus choose to fight more 'important' battles (Quotes used to emphasize that its not considered a big enough issue by the ND Democrat delegation - basically to be defined by a monopolistic power like the NCAA as hostile and abusive to native americans, much less any other minority shouldn't measure high on any politicians scale of importance).

Acknowledge and continue to assess the impact of the divisive and controversial nature of the Fighting Sioux athletic nickname and logos. (Ca:ongoing)

Oh yes, the University...Remember, its still run in most cases by the inmates and thus the heads of the humanities departments will always see the power struggle between the majority and the minority as their god given reason for living (Sorry to minimalize God with the association to the professors at the college level). Even given that, its still a state institution of learning and if pushed enough to making things right, the people can also be heard loud and clear.

Lastly, PCM has stated it with much more clarity than I, but simply put we are fighting for who we are as much as fighting for the freedom of speech and choice. To say these fights are seperate and distinct is to lose the greater picture of what we are as community, not of just UND, but of all ND.

BobIwabuchiFan

This makes me want to throw up

SDSU has a problem with the nickname, but not their AD who beats his wife

"Others on campus were impressed with the stance Miller took on the controversy about the University of North Dakota's team nickname, the Fighting Sioux. Miller wrote a letter to the UND president and asked that its athletes not wear the team logo when competing against South Dakota State. She also asked that they be referred to only by their school name and not their nickname when they went up against SDSU athletic teams.

She did so, Miller says, because Native American students at SDSU found the nickname offensive."

Good to see this spinless hypocrite takes a stand against something, because she sure didn't care when her AD beat his wife and claimed to have alcohol problems, and then was convicted of such in court. I'd venture to guess that some women on her campus find spousal abuse offensive, but she managed to turn a blind eye to that.

SDSU has a problem with the nickname, but not their AD who beats his wife

"Others on campus were impressed with the stance Miller took on the controversy about the University of North Dakota's team nickname, the Fighting Sioux. Miller wrote a letter to the UND president and asked that its athletes not wear the team logo when competing against South Dakota State. She also asked that they be referred to only by their school name and not their nickname when they went up against SDSU athletic teams.

She did so, Miller says, because Native American students at SDSU found the nickname offensive."

Good to see this spinless hypocrite takes a stand against something, because she sure didn't care when her AD beat his wife and claimed to have alcohol problems, and then was convicted of such in court. I'd venture to guess that some women on her campus find spousal abuse offensive, but she managed to turn a blind eye to that.

I guess she doesn't believe that

'Sticks and stones can break my bones but words (logos) can never hurt me."

SDSU Native American students = 1% of total student population

UND Native American students = 3% of total student population

*it's sad that given the number of Native Americans in both states that the numbers aren't higher - the fault lies in their pre-college age education, IMHO*

It's been said before but with all the 'hostility or abuse created by the name and logo that disrupts the quest for education' why is there a higher number of Native American students enrolled at UND than at any other institution of higher learning in any of our surrounding states? The old GK answer that they don't know of the name and logo before they come here is crap. When looking for a school to attend, intelligent, potential students look at every aspect of the institution to see if there is a 'fit' between them and school.

My answer>> UND has more programs, support and opportunity for success for Native American students than any other institution of higher learning in the country. Those that don't succeed can blame it on the name and logo but that is also crap. Persons with mental illness, physical handicaps, lack of resources (yes, non-Natives also have money problems), single parents, etc. succeed at UND, 20% of the country's Native American physicians succeeded at UND, a large number of Native American nurses succeeded at UND, etc.

But, I'm speaking to the choir.....

I was surprised to read this article. Usually when a university president does something like that related to the Fighting Sioux nickname, it makes national headlines. But I honestly don't remember when it happened. Perhaps ex-President Miller decided to get on her high horse after SDSU went DI and didn't have to worry about playing UND any more. As an SDSU alum, had I heard about this, I would have let Miller (no relation) know how I felt about it.

SDSU Native American students = 1% of total student population

UND Native American students = 3% of total student population

*it's sad that given the number of Native Americans in both states that the numbers aren't higher - the fault lies in their pre-college age education, IMHO*

It's been said before but with all the 'hostility or abuse created by the name and logo that disrupts the quest for education' why is there a higher number of Native American students enrolled at UND than at any other institution of higher learning in any of our surrounding states? The old GK answer that they don't know of the name and logo before they come here is crap. When looking for a school to attend, intelligent, potential students look at every aspect of the institution to see if there is a 'fit' between them and school.

My answer>> UND has more programs, support and opportunity for success for Native American students than any other institution of higher learning in the country. Those that don't succeed can blame it on the name and logo but that is also crap. Persons with mental illness, physical handicaps, lack of resources (yes, non-Natives also have money problems), single parents, etc. succeed at UND, 20% of the country's Native American physicians succeeded at UND, a large number of Native American nurses succeeded at UND, etc.

But, I'm speaking to the choir.....

Actually, Sioux-cia, I'm not altogether certain that it is just the inadequacy of the reservation schools that is the problem in why there aren't more Native American students in higher education. I'm not going to argue that the schools on reservations are top notch. They may not be adequate at all, but that alone doesn't dictate why North Dakota has among the highest graduation rates of Native Americans yet it only tallies in at around 56% (2000 information). The same study showed that North Dakota has the leading graduation rate among White students at 89%. There's more to education than the color of your skin or where you live. There has to be certain elements of effort made by the community, the parents, and most importantly, the students themselves to get the education and continue on once graduation is completed. More recent information (2004 study found here as Table B on page 89) shows that the 89.5% White community graduation rates have dropped to 84.1% and the Native American community (National average of 57% in 2000) drops to 51.1% nationally in terms of graduation rate. In North Dakota, the graduation rate dropped to 52.6% (a drop of 3.4%, a less steep drop over 4 years than Caucasian students) among Native American students.

I have been told by people who work on reservations (though, to be completely honest, I'm not sure if they work in North Dakota or Minnesota reservations) that absenteeism is extremely high in the reservation schools they've worked with. Health care (daily stuff like general hygiene) isn't very good.

Along with this are reasons that are altogether something that is hard to bring a counter-argument towards. Many kids miss schools for family reasons. How do you argue with kids missing school to help take care of their elders?

And, a hypothetical statement, perhaps motivation isn't all that present. When (if) a person graduates from high school on a reservation he/she gets a monetary amount of some sort. I'm not sure the qualifications for said amount, nor do I know how much they recieve. However, if they recieve the money regardless of whether or not they graduate high school, additionally, the expectation is made that they must be able to get some form of employment as to help assist the extended family "survive," how can education truly be effective?

They get to age 18, given a check, and kicked out the door with a classified ad and a pencil and told "Go get yourself a job, boy!" And that is that. Fortunately, things are changing (slowly but surely) and UND leads the way with scholarships and all these programs that assist Native American students become part of the well educated community, regardless of the motivation as to why they are at a University. I think it is great to see INMED and medical staff heading back to the reservations to help other Native Americans. I think that should be better promoted, to be truthful.

Yet, again, I've yet to determine a single connection between the high school graduation rates, the "plight" of the Native American, and the connection therein to collegiate nicknames for the negative OR positive. The argument of "Native American imagery establish a hostile and racist atmosphere that prohibits or endangers Native Americans and prevents them from achieving success" is rather weak.

Bad behavior happens, unfortunately, and it needs to stop. Bad people deserve to be punished. However, taking the blame off of those bad people and placing it on words on a wall or imagery on a stone facade is merely delusional and isn't going to resolve anything except for making those people who complain feel victorious for a little while until the same behavior they cite as being caused by the nickname resurfaces. Then they'll wonder why it's happening all over again and start flailing their pointed finger around placing blame on every deep-pocketted or highly visual entity they can find until they are left with a truly hostile environment: ostracization. How many of you have ever witnessed (or went through yourself) someone who has "cried wolf" so many times that people are either extremely uncomfortable/scared to be around that person or simply stop listening to that person, even if that person has a valid issue to bring up?

Native Americans will never be "washed away into the annuls of history." They shouldn't be. However, their continued apathy towards the minority of their people who make such cries of wolf could surely put them down that path.