SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Wow, I don't recall hearing about any of that sort of thing on the UND campus. He "heard" of these things, huh? Wonder how accurate his information was. What a shame he didn't do more to investigate the veracity of such.

Strangely similar to the NC00 don't you think?

Some people here aren't getting it. Dartmouth has conservative groups on its campus that keep the Indian nickname alive, along with a conservative newspaper that promotes use of the old name. Therefore, whatever bad "conservative" factors exist on Dartmouth's campus must automatically exist on UND's campus.

That's what started the entire controversy. If Dartmouth had problems after changing its nickname, then UND must automatically have even greater problems because it's still using a "hostile and abusive" nickname. The activists believe that to end racism, all discussion of conservative ideals must be stamped out on college campuses. It's just another way to censor free expression.

Wow, I don't recall hearing about any of that sort of thing on the UND campus. He "heard" of these things, huh? Wonder how accurate his information was. What a shame he didn't do more to investigate the veracity of such.

They never happened, they have psuedo evidence of it happening.

Some people here aren't getting it. Dartmouth has conservative groups on its campus that keep the Indian nickname alive, along with a conservative newspaper that promotes use of the old name. Therefore, whatever bad "conservative" factors exist on Dartmouth's campus must automatically exist on UND's campus.

That's what started the entire controversy. If Dartmouth had problems after changing its nickname, then UND must automatically have even greater problems because it's still using a "hostile and abusive" nickname. The activists believe that to end racism, all discussion of conservative ideals must be stamped out on college campuses. It's just another way to censor free expression.

I like that explaination.

When did we go from hostile and abusive to racist?

Someone whose son never considered going to UND decided to embellish/enhance/lie about his son's decision to attend a school of his choosing. I've become a real cynic. I don't believe a word of this 'story'. IMHO this is just another name change proponent inventing 'facts' to support his agenda.

When did we go from hostile and abusive to racist?

Same old story, throw everything against the wall and see what sticks. Can't get people excited about "hostile and abusive"? Throw racism in there. People are wavering about something else? Toss in the "mockery of our sacred religion" stuff. No violence against the supposed victims? Lets break some windows ourselves, that will show how dangerous these nicknames and symbols and drawings are-they're the CAUSE of campus unrest. Keep on screaming about how there will never be peace until the "racism" ends; then once you do get a change just tell everyone else to shutup because "hanging on" isn't going to do any good.

Everyone else should give up, because the people who want change never did.

:lol:

Here's a story about how our former Chief Illinwek's are trying to keep the trademark:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/200..._over_trademark

I'm embarrassed by my university again. Clearly the "unconquered" spirit that the Florida Seminoles keep alive becomes something more like "surrender without even trying" at Illinois.

Good luck to your school with the lawsuit. I fear we're going to take a step that we will never be able to take back, and the consequences may not be pretty for the athletic department. :lol:

Someone whose son never considered going to UND decided to embellish/enhance/lie about his son's decision to attend a school of his choosing. I've become a real cynic. I don't believe a word of this 'story'. IMHO this is just another name change proponent inventing 'facts' to support his agenda.

I thought the same thing you did Sioux-cia. This all sounds a little too convenient.

From the Arkansas State University Herald:

ASU has no plans to forget Indian heritage

More than a year ago, 33 schools across the country were asked by the NCAA for reports on the use of Native American imagery and mascots.

Of those schools, 18 mascots, including ASU's and fellow Sun Belt Conference member Louisiana-Monroe's mascot, were later classified as "hostile and abusive" by the NCAA.

To this day, A-State still has not removed the Indian nickname, while 15 of the other schools have changed mascots. The Indian name has been a part of Arkansas State's culture since 1931. When asked what considerations have been made for a new mascot if A-State has to remove the Indian, ASU System President Les Wyatt said no considerations have been made.

"ASU likely will not bring suit on this matter, we will watch what happens with other schools," Wyatt said. "We will take direction on those instances to decide what is best for ASU."

"We are not in limbo in this. We are the ASU Indians. That is our official name and mascot," Wyatt said. "And until a decision is made, that is our identity."

While I admire the fact that ASU is not simply caving in to the NCAA, it would be nice if the university could do more than simply ride on UND's coat tails.

More than a year ago, 33 schools across the country were asked by the NCAA for reports on the use of Native American imagery and mascots.

Of those schools, 18 mascots, including ASU's and fellow Sun Belt Conference member Louisiana-Monroe's mascot, were later classified as "hostile and abusive" by the NCAA.

To this day, A-State still has not removed the Indian nickname, while 15 of the other schools have changed mascots.

They're talking 15 of the 33 schools, and not 15 of the 18.....correct?

We are racists. Plain and simple.

When a minority claims being harmed in some manner, even if iti s a percieved harm, and the majority (or parts of the majority) choose not to believe it or disagree, that makes them racist. EVEN IF THE MAJORITY'S CLAIMS WOULD STAND UP IN COURT.

You cannot disagree with a minority on race issues and NOT be considered a racist. That's how it is these days.

They're talking 15 of the 33 schools, and not 15 of the 18.....correct?

I believe you are correct. About 2/3 of the way down in this link...

http://www.ncaasports.com/story/8706763

... you'll see a list of fourteen schools. Add in William and Mary and I think that's where they got their 15.

If they were talking about 15/18, then Illinois, North Dakota, Utah and Florida State all have not changed anything. That makes the 15/18 impossible.

I found this quote quite amusing:

....removed all references to Native American culture or were deemed not to have references to Native American culture as part of their athletics programs

The North Carolina-Pembroke BRAVES were deemed not to have references to Native American culture? No, that's not correct: they threatened to sue the NCAA and the NCAA backed down. And the Aztecs of SDSU are refering to native North Americans, but not natives of the area currently within the boundaries of the USA. The "Rainbow Warriors" of Hawaii get some sort of exemption that was not available to the Warriors of Marquette University.

:blush:

Not sure where this goes, but recently at a Fargo car wash:

I had on my leather Fighting Sioux jacket. A fellow nearby was giving the evil eye to my jacket.

I looked at this fellow and asked, "May I help you?" He told me rather gruffly while continuing to glare at my jacket, "You're in Fargo." (I'm guessing NDSU fan in retrospect. :glare: )

Before I could respond, a third person whom I'd never seen before says, "He's in North Dakota, and that's one sharp looking jacket."

I was left smirking and speechless. (Keep your smarmy comments to yourselves PCM and Rick.)

Better? This third person, who defended my jacket, starts walking away to retreive his vehicle and I read the back of his jacket: some program at United Tribes Technical College. :blush:

University of Illinois STUDENTS sue to keep Chief Illiniwek.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/200...t_to_save_chief

I'm proud of our students. They have 100 million times more backbone than the adults on our Board of Trustees. :D

BTW, the story makes a passing reference to North Dakota's lawsuit and the injunction.

University of Illinois STUDENTS sue to keep Chief Illiniwek.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/200...t_to_save_chief

I'm proud of our students. They have 100 million times more backbone than the adults on our Board of Trustees. :D

BTW, the story makes a passing reference to North Dakota's lawsuit and the injunction.

I applaud your students.

Go get em guys.