SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

From Our Sports Central:

These former Sioux are "Fighting" mad

The Aeros began camp with three former Fighting Sioux players on the roster, and they all weighed in on the subject.

It's nice to see former players carrying the torch for UND. I'm not sure where Bryan Lundbohm got his information about FSU and the Supreme Court. Maybe he was thinking about the 2000 presidential election. :silly::D

From Our Sports Central:

It's nice to see former players carrying the torch for UND. I'm not sure where Bryan Lundbohm got his information about FSU and the Supreme Court. Maybe he was thinking about the 2000 presidential election. :silly::D

I talked to a former player who told me it will be very sad if the name should go. Everywhere he played, he ran into people from all over and they all knew of the FIGHTING SIOUX. Even the Canadian kids who came through the MJ ranks were very familiar. It IS the identity of the program.

From Our Sports Central:

It's nice to see former players carrying the torch for UND. I'm not sure where Bryan Lundbohm got his information about FSU and the Supreme Court. Maybe he was thinking about the 2000 presidential election. :D:huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NC$$=Supreme Court. Don't both 'high courts of the land' make decisions for the good of the majority by upholding the laws of the Constitution of the United States of American? :silly:

I talked to a former player who told me it will be very sad if the name should go.  Everywhere he played, he ran into people from all over and they all knew of the FIGHTING SIOUX.  Even the Canadian kids who came through the MJ ranks were very familiar.  It IS the identity of the program.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's one side of the issue that never seems to be discussed. The feelings of those offended or hurt by UND's use of the Fighting Sioux name must always be considered, but the feelings of the UND athletes who gave their blood and sweat and risked their health to compete as members of the Fighting Sioux family are simply tossed aside as if they don't matter.

One thing I do not like about the pro-nickname argument is the mention of how much it would cost to remove the logos from REA. Big deal. I'm sure it cost a lot of money to enforce integration in the south in the 1960's, too, but no one felt that it was too much money. The pro-name change forces should be eating that cost argument right up. Besides, if there is money for all the marble and granite in the place, I'm sure they could find some cash to remove some logos. It's a bad argument for keeping the logo.

Besides, if there is money for all the marble and granite in the place, I'm sure they could find some cash to remove some logos. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I might respectfully add that the source of the "money for all the marble and granite in the place" is no longer with us. Finding cash to remove the logos will not come easily. I'm sure I won't donate to the cause... anyone else in this forum ready to pony up some $$$? :silly:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but even IF UND were to officially drop the Fighting Sioux name and logo, why would the logos have to be removed from either the Ralph or Betty? My understanding is that the Ralph wasn't going to host any more regionals anyway due to the movement to keep those tournaments from on-campus arenas. As for basketball, any regionals could easily be held at the Alerus, if necessary. Unless I'm misreading the NCAA edict, they're saying that the list of supposedly offensive schools can't host an NCAA post-season event so long as they persist in using the name(s), and they can't wear uniforms containing said names/logos. I don't think they can or would require the logos to be removed or covered unless perhaps that particular arena was going to be hosting the post-season event.

The following is a quote from the NCAA press release announcing the denial of UND's appeal:

"However, the university will be allowed to host the Men

I'm not referring to the regional. That contract was set in stone long before the long arm of the NCAA tried to re-do it. Obviously their attorneys concurred. I'm talking about if UND were to change the nickname from Fighting Sioux. What would make more sense, tearing down the REA and building a new Sioux logo-less arena or removing the Sioux logos from the existing arena? That should be obvious.

It would be foolish to think that the name-change crowd would be happy with a new nickname, yet allow REA to keep ties to the past by not removing the existing logos everywhere from the campus, from t-shirts to gym floors to the hockey arena.

I'm just pointing out that I don't believe the NCAA is going to require wiping out all evidence of the previous existence of the Fighting Sioux name/logo as a condition of UND hosting NCAA events, particularly when those events would likely not be at the Ralph/Betty, anyway. I don't foresee any significant changes at the Ralph/Betty regardless of what decision is ultimately made by UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't disagree more. The NCAA would want to wipe out any evidence that that nickname and logo ever existed.

I wasn't implying that the estate of Ralph Engelstad would be forking up some cash.  My point is it's a poor argument:

"We need to change the nickname."

"We can't...it would cost too much money to get rid of the logos."

"Oh.  I hadn't thought about that.  Nevermind."   

:silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't really heard this as an argument from anyone. It would be interesting to hear an estimate of what it would cost UND in general to change or drop the name. I'm not making the case to keep the name to save money, but it will take a lot of money to do so.

From MSNBC:

NCAA ruling expected soon on Bradley nickname appeal

Bradley argued last month that the NCAA "mischaracterized'' the nearly 70-year-old Braves nickname.

Bradley dropped an American Indian caricature as its mascot in 1989 and eliminated all other references to American Indians four years later. University officials say the nickname now symbolizes attributes of bravery.

Bradley also contends that the NCAA was inconsistent when it applied the ban by allowing eight schools to use the nickname Warriors because they have dropped mascots and logos.

Again I ask: Over four years, exactly how much did the NCAA actually research this issue? :silly:

Williams said appeals are pending from Bradley and Newberry College, a South Carolina school nicknamed the Indians.

It's going to be very interesting to see which schools get off an which don't.

From today's Grand Forks Herald:

COLLEGE ATHLETICS: UND hasn't filed nickname appeal

Next appeal won't be much different from first; best chance for NCAA reversal will come from Council of Presidents

UND officials say they have not submitted a second appeal of the NCAA decision that put UND on a list of schools with "hostile or abusive" athletic nicknames. But they still intend to.
Harmeson said UND's best shot probably will come during a potential third appeal to the Council of Presidents, an elected body representing all NCAA Division II schools.

"At that point, we might do some modifications (to the appeal)," Harmeson said.

He said changes mostly likely would be based on new information that has come up since the initial appeal was sent in. School leaders also would study the successful appeals of three other universities that originally were placed on the list, and how the NCAA reacted to those appeals.