SiouxSports.com Forum

USA Junior Evaluation Camp

AZSIOUX

Kessel doesn't play defense RIGHT now...Maybe that will change once he gets to college since he hasn't needed to be a two-way player...All the proof you need is to watch Kessel in any of the U.S. World Jr. Games at the Ralph last year and you can see that he isn't a great two-way player.  He didn't back check constantly, he wasn't aggressive going into the corners to battle for the puck IMO.  And these are facts that any person could see.  Those characteristics are a few things that make a good two-way player and Kessel didn't do those at the World Jr's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At the World Jr. Kessel showed great flash as a one-on-one player against the not so good Swedish defensemen. Other than that, he had a real tendency to disappear (hmmm, that sounds like an Austrian situation). Stafford was a horse throughout the tournament, both scoring and creating chances for his linemates in all of the games. Kessel is going to have to greatly improve a number of areas of his game as he is very one-dimensional from what I have seen.

Oh, in the no way in hell category:

Paukovich and WHeeler. No way they make the team. No way.

Federov:

I'm just curious as to why you make this assumption. Have you had a chance to watch Wheeler play? I have had the opportunity to watch him for the past few summers and he makes things happen. He sees the ice, has good hands, and is smart with the puck. On a side note.....he's even a great guy (even though he's a goph).

I'm like George W. Bush. I'm the guy that everyone likes to blame for everything. :glare:

Why do I say what I do about Wheeler? Well... I admit he had a pretty good "career" at Breck, but the two times I've seen him play, once in Breck and once on Team Minny NW, he seemed tentative (Breck) or nonexistant (Team Minny).

Actually, Team Minny was a regional all star team IIRC. I watched them play Shattuck. Sure, Shattuck has some top tier players, but they aren't an all star team really. Why couldn't the all star team do anything against Shattuck? Only Dowzak was as tall or taller than WHeeler on the ice. There were even players like Deeth and Duncan on the ice that Wheeler should have been able to toss off of him like pesky flies. Instead, he basically was a tall guy skating around looking generally lost and unimpressive.

Sure, he's got talent, but from when I viewed him and his stats and figures in the USHL he's not a top 10 draft pick. Not even Stafford or Parise were top 10 draft picks and they have done far more before coming to UND than Wheeler has.

Sure, Wheeler might prove me wrong, but at best, I see Wheeler as being the highest drafted third or fourth liner out there. Kessel and Stoa are the new Gopher scoring threats. From what I've seen of WHeeler, you'd think he was a defenseman.

redwing...if you saw wheeler play in the ushl, you must have seen brad miller also...what can we expect from miller, being that his shoulder is back to normal...i.e when you would have seen him and wheeler

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I misrepresented that last paragraph. I saw him when he was in high school (Breck and Team Minny). I was referring to his stats in the USHL.

I will fix my post.

All I know about Miller is that he was a role player when I watched him play vs. Team Minny (He also didn't stand out much) and that he tore up his rotator cuff last season in the USHL. I have no idea where he's at with his recovery and how that injury will affect his game.

In regards to players switching teams at the camp i can only speculate. The people that I talked to said that some players come in and don't live up to expectations and some exceed ecpectations. They move guys from one to the other to get other players more playing time on a better line and vice versa. They change up the lines frequently and try different combinations of players. Again, this is just my opinion based on coversations with others. On a side note, concerning Wheeler, he's on this team without a doubt, like it or not. USA Hockey isn't going to keep him off because he played on a crappy Green Bay team. He had a great camp, and will be more than a fourth line hack at Minny, but as usual some people refuse to look at the whole picture and put more stock in their own opinion rather than base it on something credible. I know he's a gopher but this is Team USA, it's a whole different ball game here folks.

I'm not a hockey scout, so I watch the game as the average fan would, but I will try my best here. I thought Chorney was very physical, played great positional hockey, and on saturday got the game tying goal to send the game to a shoot-out which they eventually lost 4-3. All in all Sioux fans who are lamenting the loss of Green will be happy to know that Chorney, Lee, and Jones are 3 solid recruits who will be great on the blue line, none of the three panic they are all quite smooth. I guess Jones really likes to chatter and get into guys heads, as well. Hope it helps you out a little, as I said I wath the game as a fan therefore I can only give you analysis from a fans point of view.

http://www.uscho.com/news/pictorial.php/10/

pictures from the camp there are a couple of Chorney and Oshie and one of Lee.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see the well informed lads at USCHO have Chorney as going to Denver and they seem unaware that Lee was drafted by Ottawa. Great photos though, especially the two of Oshie.

In the picture (#6) of Chorney, they have him going to Denver in the caption. Knuckleheads.  Pictures #8 and 18 make me sad. No wait, they don't. :glare:

You suck AZSioux. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not USCHO's fault - it's mine and they have corrected it. Have no idea why I typed that, but I should have taken more time to re-read the captions that I submitted (mine were all boring - player ID (Fall team - draft team)).

Glad you liked the Paukovich shots :-).