SiouxSports.com Forum

USA Junior Evaluation Camp

AZSIOUX

Blue Team....Chorney, Jones,

White Team....Lee, Oshie,

http://www.usahockey.com/international/mai.../05jreval_home/

USA Team White

Goaltenders -- Cory Schneider, Jeff Frazee

Defensemen -- Mark Mitera, Matt Lashoff, Brian Lee, Mike Brennan, Kyle Lawson, Brandon Gentile, Erik Johnson

Forwards -- Bobby Ryan, Kevin Porter, Nathan Davis, Geoff Paukovich, Jack Skille, Chad Kolarik, T.J. Oshie, Brandon Dubinsky, Nate Gerbe, Bryan Lerg, Nick Foligno, Jim Fraser

USA Team Blue

Goaltenders -- Jonathan Quick, Ian Keserich

Defensemen -- A.J. Thelen, Taylor Chorney, Zach Jones, Nate Hagemo, Matt Niskanen, Keith Yandle, Chris Butler

Forwards -- Robbie Schremp, Phil Kessel, Justin Abdelkader, Peter Mueller, Chris Bourque, Tom Fritsche, Shawn Weller, Adam Pineault, Blake Wheeler, Steve Zalewski, Domenic Maiani, Jordan LaVallee

Blue Team....Chorney, Jones,

White Team....Lee, Oshie,

http://www.usahockey.com/international/mai.../05jreval_home/

USA Team White

Goaltenders -- Cory Schneider, Jeff Frazee

Defensemen -- Mark Mitera, Matt Lashoff, Brian Lee, Mike Brennan, Kyle Lawson, Brandon Gentile, Erik Johnson

Forwards -- Bobby Ryan, Kevin Porter, Nathan Davis, Geoff Paukovich, Jack Skille, Chad Kolarik, T.J. Oshie, Brandon Dubinsky, Nate Gerbe, Bryan Lerg, Nick Foligno, Jim Fraser

USA Team Blue

Goaltenders -- Jonathan Quick, Ian Keserich

Defensemen

Day 1 Scoring

USA Blue

GAME 1

1, USB, Wheeler (LaVallee, Abdelkader)

3, USB, Weller (Pineault, Zalewski)

4, USB, Pineault (unassisted)

7, USB, Wheeler (unassisted)

8, USB, Schremp (Fritsche)

USB: Keserich (16, 17 shots, 29:26), Quick (16, 18 shots, 30:34)

USA White

GAME 1

1, USW, Dubinsky (Davis, Lerg)

2, USW, Foligno (unassisted)

3, USW, Skille (Gerbe, Lee)

4, USW, Ryan (Foligno)

5, USW, Lashoff (Ryan, Lerg)

USW: Schneider (11, 11 shots, 30:00), Frazee (14, 14 shots, 30:00)

Just wanted to say hey to everybody from Lake Placid, got here yesterday, and caught the last couple minutes of the Blue Teams game, saw Wheelers unassisted goal, pretty sweet. Watched the White Team pummel team Sweden, they looked really good. Lee and Oshie both had respectable outings. Lee was his usual calm, cool business-like self, and Oshie came out and set the tone for the game knocking guys around right from the get go, didn't have ant points, but probably won 20 of 25 draws, and did all of the other little intangibles. Hope to catch both games this evening so I can wath Jones and Chorney. By the way Lake Placid is awesome, if any of you ever get the chance to get out this way, do it, you won't be dissapointed.

Just wanted to say hey to everybody from Lake Placid, got here yesterday, and caught the last couple minutes of the Blue Teams game, saw Wheelers unassisted goal, pretty sweet.  Watched the White Team pummel team Sweden, they looked really good.  Lee and Oshie both had respectable outings.  Lee was his usual calm, cool business-like self, and Oshie came out and set the tone for the game knocking guys around right from the get go, didn't have ant points, but probably won 20 of 25 draws, and did all of the other little intangibles.  Hope to catch both games this evening so I can wath Jones and Chorney.  By the way Lake Placid is awesome, if any of you ever get the chance to get out this way, do it, you won't be dissapointed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any updates you could give us would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to see the new recruits in action at the Ralph.

I'll certainly try. The cool thing here is that it only costs $15 for all the games, man that's a real bargain considering the level of talent that's on the ice every night. All practices are free and open to the public as well which is cool. One other little tidbit, this may be posted elsewhere but some may be interested, Lee is wearing #7, Oshie #97, and I believe Jones and Chorney are #5 and #6 not real sure which is which there I'll have to grab my program and verify.

Hey felllas, TRIOUXPER here, coming at ya' from Lake Placid. What a great day, enjoyed some local cusisine, and some nightlife. Sat next to Matt Niskanen"s parents at the USA White vs. Finland game today, they are s asuper nice couple, just want to congradulate them for their son's recent success and all the best with future endeavors. Didn't make it to the Blue vs. Sweden tonight, however the white team looked very good against a tought Finnland Team. Lee was outstanding in his spot and moved the puck very well he will be a pleasure to watch this fall for sure, he has so much confidence on the ice. Oshie continued to play well winning draws, got some time on the power play units and penalty kill. The team as a whole moved the puck better tonight. Jack Skille scored an absolute phenomanal highlight goal. TJ had two very good scoring opportunities undressing one defenseman at the blue line only to be stiffled by Finlands goalie, them later had a 1 on 1 breakaway when he put one wide of the goal. He was an absolute monster down low though. He was so strong in the corners digging out the puck, and down low in front of the net, he didn't have any points, but if this keeeps up he will be on the scoreboard soon. All in all our boys are doing well, whatever happens from here is beside the point as this is a grwat experience for these guys and a good tune up for the upcoming season. Whether we like it or not I would bet on Wheeler and Pauckocich being on this team, as hard as it is to cheer for them. Talk to you all soon.

I won't find it hard to cheer for Wheeler, just like I've never found it hard to cheer for any other player who plays for the USA. I could even cheer for Robbie Earl I guess. Paukovich though, I really hope he doesn't make team because he would be an exception.

I won't find it hard to cheer for Wheeler, just like I've never found it hard to cheer for any other player who plays for the USA.  I could even cheer for Robbie Earl I guess. Paukovich though, I really hope he doesn't make team because he would be an exception.

I noticed Paukovich had a charging penalty in the games yesterday.

For a guy that has no chance of making the team Wheeler scored a couple of Vanek-esque goals.  His acceleration when he split the D was impressive.  I bet he's lazy and plays no defense though. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On that basis then Kessel doesn't make the team, since he is not in the scoring? :0

Talked to Wheeler, Niskanen, and Oshie yesterday, real nice guys. I know I said it would be hard to cheer for Wheeler, my only reservation is that he's a Gopher, otherwise he has the skills to make this team and deserves to based on the way he has played at this camp, hey would you rather see a team full of National Development Team prima donnas? I'd love it if more of the non-development team guys would make this team. Not trying to knock that program at all, just like it when the off the radar guys shine and get a chance to showcase their talents as well. That's why I think it's such an honor just to get invited to try out for this team. As I have said before whether or not our players make it this is a great tune up for these guys coming into the upcoming season, the size of some of these players and the speed of the game is a good indication of what is staring them in the face in just a couple short months. I'll try to give some kind of update after the games tonight.

Kessel doesn't play defense RIGHT now...Maybe that will change once he gets to college since he hasn't needed to be a two-way player...All the proof you need is to watch Kessel in any of the U.S. World Jr. Games at the Ralph last year and you can see that he isn't a great two-way player. He didn't back check constantly, he wasn't aggressive going into the corners to battle for the puck IMO. And these are facts that any person could see. Those characteristics are a few things that make a good two-way player and Kessel didn't do those at the World Jr's.

Kessel stil doesn't do any of that, I watched him last night. Add to it he wins maybe 50% of his draws, and doesn't like to pass. From what I saw last night, if he gets the puck on his stick he's going to shoot it or at least try. The statement about no backchecking and not going into the corners is dead on accurate. I'm so glad he's going to be a gopher, they will finally have someone to (phil) :glare: Vanek's shoes. Now to the important stuff. The games last night were in the Olympic/Herb Brooks Arena, it's awesome just walking in there. With all due respect to The Ralph and all it's majesty, this is truly a breathtaking place, at least for me, knowing that the greatest upest ever in sports history took place here 25 years ago. The U.S. Teams continued their dominance again last night. Jones and Chorney both had solid efforts, all of our boys are doing well, they all seem to be disciplined and task oriented. They have all played very solid hockey from what I have seen. Lee showed some skating and puck handling ability last night taking it to the net around a couple guys and getting a shot on net, the big fella had some nice moves. TJ continued to play solid, no points still, however does the little things so well. Won most of his draws last night, backckecked, and was very strong in the corners again. The gamesstarted to get a little chippy as both Sweden and Finland are getting tired of being whipping boys. The extra-curricular stick work sent more than one of our players off the ice bleeding last night. Today will be intresting in those regards I'm sure.