SiouxSports.com Forum

I'm actually not totally against the name change..

ESPNInsider

I wish I would've received a waiver.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just tell 'em you're a left-handed, black lesbian with a foot fetish. That should cover a few bases. Hell, they may actually give you a full professorship, and accept your PhD from some online mill.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Please enlighten me on how much they are doing right now."

Here is what they are doing. A free education is a HUGE gift if you ask me. If you don't ask me, ask all of the recent graduates that are knee deep in student loan debt.

A *tuition* waiver is hardly a free education. Big difference.

ESTIMATED YEARLY EXPENSES

The following table gives an estimate of the expenses of a single, undergraduate student residing on campus during the nine month, 2000-2001 college year. Detailed information about the cost of attending the University is available from the Office of Enrollment Services.

North

Dakota

Tuition and Fees* $ 3,662

Room and Board** 3,932

Books and Supplies 700

Personal Expenses 2,600

Total Est. Costs $10,894

*Plus matriculation fees ($35 one time)

Tuition and Fees*          $ 3,662   

Room and Board**        3,932

Books and Supplies        700 

Personal Expenses          2,600 

Total Est. Costs              $10,894 

*Plus matriculation fees ($35 one time)

A person, college student or not, would still have to

- live somewhere and eat something (room and board)

- fulfill other human needs, like clothing, to exist (personal expenses).

Cut those two basic realities of human existance out of that list, because they are part of life no matter where you are, and what's left is $700 of books and supplies.

ESPNInsider, I once thought as you did. In the fall of 2001, I believed that changing the name would be the fastest way for UND to put this whole mess behind it and move on to far more important issues. And believe me, there are far more important issues facing UND.

But then two things happened. The first was listening to Minnepolis Star-Tribune columnist Nick Coleman on Scott Hennen's Hot Talk radio show just before the new REA opened. Coleman, a true hater of Ralph Englestad and rabid opponent of the Sioux nickname, was hostile, insulting, abbrasive and abusive. Coleman wouldn't let Hennen say a word on his own show. He talked over him and shouted him down for the full 10 or so minutes he was on the air. And for those who know Hennen, that's quite a feat.

That great objective "in his own mind" journalist Nick Coleman came out with all guns blazing today:

Nick Coleman: Ralphie still runs the show at UND

It is his second column within a week on the Sioux:

Nick Coleman: Mascots get more ink than museums

When you have antagonist like this guy, that says a lot about our character. ;) I'm actually encouraged by this, as Coleman must have a sense of the public reaction to the NCAA ruling, and he doing everything in his power to turn the tide.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That great objective "in his own mind" journalist Nick Coleman came out with all guns blazing today:

Nick Coleman: Ralphie still runs the show at UND

It is his second column within a week on the Sioux:

Nick Coleman: Mascots get more ink than museums

Dick Youngblood

When you have antagonist like this guy, that says a lot about our character.  :glare:  I'm actually encouraged by this, as Coleman must have a sense of the public reaction to the NCAA ruling, and he doing everything in his power to turn the tide.

I hope Coleman and Dick Youngblood don't come to blows in the hallways at the Star Trib today. Also from today's Trib business section:

Dick Youngblood

And the more than $5,000 he has grossed so far in this, his first summer on the market, will go quite a ways toward financing his pursuit of a chemical engineering degree at my alma mater, the University of North Dakota ("Fight on Sioux, we're all for you" ... at least as long as the NCAA allows it).

Nick Coleman vs. Dick Youngblood? Plll. Even Youngblood's name could kick Coleman's ass. I mean just look at it, Dick Youngblood. That's the old school pro wrestling name right there. Back when it was real. Plus Jack Youngblood played in the Super Bowl with a broken leg, is there any doubt Dick wouldn't fight to the death ala the retarded weather guy on Anchorman? You know Youngblood would kill Coleman with a trident should it become neccessary. Sure he kinda looks like Beano Cook, but that doesn't matter. Coleman looks like a freaking elf from Santa's Workshop

THis guy really seems to have it in for North Dakota. Is there anything to the Hitler/Nazi comments? How often does he write these kinds of stories? People do have a right to write truthful stories and they have a right to their opinion as long as they make it clear it is just an opinion. And customers can always buy another newspaper--unless they live in a one-newspaper town which unfortunately is becoming more common these days.

THis guy really seems to have it in for North Dakota. Is there anything to the Hitler/Nazi comments? How often does he write these kinds of stories? People do have a right to write truthful stories and they have a right to their opinion as long as they make it clear it is just an opinion. And customers can always buy another newspaper--unless they live in a one-newspaper town which unfortunately is becoming more common these days.

Others can tell you more. Ralph was a collector of WWII memorabilia and certainly had a large collection of Nazi stuff. He had one or 2 parties to celebrate Hitlers' birthday. He was disciplined by the Nevada gaming commission or something like that, but always maintained that his infraction was a lack of good judgement vs. a celebration of nazism.

I believe there was some sort of investigation (FBI??) which turned up nothing out of the ordinary.

Again, I'm going off of memory of what I've read on message boards and articles found on the internet so some of this may not be perfectly accurate but the I think it gives a sense of the story that Coleman is trying to play up. PCM has, in the past, had very good information in much greater detail.

I believe there was some sort of investigation (FBI??) which turned up nothing out of the ordinary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's an article from the Las Vegas reviewjournal.com that discusses the FBI investigations of Engelstad related to his alleged Nazi activities.

The one thing the article doesn't do is explain the reasons Ralph collected the Nazi cars and regalia. He was planning to open a section of his world famous auto museum dedicated to historical autos. He also had cars owned by Stalin, Mussolini and Emporer Hirohito. Unfortunately, the focus is always on the two Hitler birthday parties and the Nazi-related items Engelstad collected.

Four-year investigation failed to produce evidence Engelstad was a Nazi

Over a four-year period in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the bureau examined concerns Engelstad had "political leanings toward the extreme right wing in Nazism as opposed to simply being interested from a historical basis."

The inquiry, which detailed his multimillion dollar collection of Nazi-era items and private celebrations of Hitler's birthday at the hotel, failed to produce any "solid evidence" Engelstad was a Nazi or had "such beliefs."

You know, the ironic part about all this is that if Ralph had been a collector of Soviet WWII automobiles and memorabilia and had a portrait of one of the most notorious and ruthless dictators of all time (Josef Stalin) hanging in his office, no one would have cared. Would anyone have conducted an investigation then? Would the Nevada Gaming Commission been concerned? Not in the least.

You know, the ironic part about all this is that if Ralph had been a collector of Soviet WWII automobiles and memorabilia and had a portrait of one of the most notorious and ruthless dictators of all time (Josef Stalin) hanging in his office, no one would have cared.  Would anyone have conducted an investigation then?  Would the Nevada Gaming Commission been concerned?  Not in the least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The point is, Ralph did collect more than just Nazi-related items. He had a car owned by Stalin, as well as the Pope-mobile. He also bought Gen. Patton's personal papers and donated them to the Chester Fritz library.