SiouxSports.com Forum

An Open Letter to Gophers/Bison Fans

chandler23

To Gophers/Bison Fans:

I must say that I am disappointed with some of you that have taken it upon yourselves to antagonize UND fans concerning their struggle with the NCAA's committee ruling to ban Indian mascots/names/etc. in post-season play.

As a life-long Gophers fan, I can't imagine UND not having the Fighting Sioux name, nor could I comprehend the pain that would be associated if the NCAA decided that my favorite school's nickname/mascot would have to be changed.

This is a time to support our biggest rival, not to bash them. If this name is changed, we all lose.

Go Sioux!

--Jeff

I disagree. If you have been calling your neighbor a jacka$$ for 50 years, is that a tradition or a wrong that needs to be made right? That is exactly what the fighting sioux name is...a wrong that all the white UND and narrow-minded so-called hockey fans claim is a tradition. UND could have dropped the fighting from the name but they did not. Get with the times and just change the name. The rivalry will still be the same as long as the quality of athletes and the class of the fans remains the same.

For me personally I donot have a problem with the Sioux nickname however, I am not a sioux indian and obviously some indian cultures as well as some non indian people do have a problem with the nickname. But some sioux fans (not all) do make fun of other schools mascots also. Sioux fans for years wore tee shirts mocking North Dakota States Mascot the Buffalo. The shirt had a Indian killing a Buffalo with an arrow. In Hockey, Sioux fans for years go into the woods and kill Gophers and then throw them on the ice after a goal. When it is laying dead on the ice sioux fans are laughing and cheering. So, why should Bison and Gopher Fans support Sioux fans in this issue.

I can guarantee you PETA is licking their chops (no pun intended) right now.

In a couple of years the Gophers and Bison will also be crying in their beer.

Nicknames like Gophers and Bison may not be racist, but according to PETA they are politically incorrect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To the best of my knowledge, the only nickname PETA has publicly gone after is the Gamecocks from South Carolina. But if they ever go after Gophers or Bison, I'd support our rivals 100%.

PETA has also gone after Green Bay Packers. And it is just a matter of time before they become more vocal.

Since I don't see the 100 percent backing from Gopher fans, I can't say for sure I would back them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, I forgot about PETA and the Packers.

http://www.sportslawnews.com/archive/Artic...PETAPackers.htm

Keep in mind that you're never going to get 100% of any group to agree on anything, so that's not very realistic. Furhter, I have a suspicion that at least one of the newbies posting under a Gopher handle is just a poser from BRIDGES and not a real Gopher fan. I still think most Gopher and Bison fans are able to look past the rivalry and disagree with the NCAA's latest directive.

I disagree.  If you have been calling your neighbor a jacka$$ for 50 years, is that a tradition or a wrong that needs to be made right?  That is exactly what the fighting sioux name is...a wrong that all the white UND and narrow-minded so-called hockey fans claim is a tradition.  UND could have dropped the fighting from the name but they did not.  Get with the times and just change the name.  The rivalry will still be the same as long as the quality of athletes and the class of the fans remains the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can see how you wouldn't be proud of your nickname "the gophers", the Sioux however have a rich tradition and heritage. North Dakota took great care in picking a nickname people could be proud of and that demonstrated... well, you hear it before every game, honor, courage, winning battles etc. Maybe you should change your moniker to rodent's rule -- great nickname!

My disdain for political correctness greatly exceeds any dislike I have for UND's rivals.  I hope there are a lot of Gopher and Bison fans that feel the same way.  Thanks for the support Chandler23!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn right. The NCAA can't legislate PC. Some fans are still going to be social boars at the games, still bringing offensive signs and shirts into games. They're being idiots about the team, not the people.

Don't for get us half crazied Laker fans too! :D

To the best of my knowledge, the only nickname PETA has publicly gone after is the Gamecocks from South Carolina. But if they ever go after Gophers or Bison, I'd support our rivals 100%.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe they should just call them the Cocks...

To Gophers/Bison Fans:

I must say that I am disappointed with some of you that have taken it upon yourselves to antagonize UND fans concerning their struggle with the NCAA's committee ruling to ban Indian mascots/names/etc. in post-season play.

As a life-long Gophers fan, I can't imagine UND not having the Fighting Sioux name, nor could I comprehend the pain that would be associated if the NCAA decided that my favorite school's nickname/mascot would have to be changed.

This is a time to support our biggest rival, not to bash them. If this name is changed, we all lose.

Go Sioux!

--Jeff

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

very nice, thanks for your support

To Gophers/Bison Fans:

Go Sioux!

--Jeff

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

chandler23,

We've had a heated discussion or two, but this was a sincere post on your part. Thanks for your comments.