JOE FINLEY. Washington. 27th

2ND ROUND

TAYLOR CHORNEY. Edmonton. 36th

ANDREW KOZEK. Atlanta. 53rd

4TH ROUND

CHRIS VANDE VELDE. Edmonton. 97th

5TH ROUND

MATT WATKINS. Dallas. 160th

Add Toews as a top pick next year and Ryan Duncan, who may not have been drafted but will be a player that I think will be a fan favorite, and you've got quite the class coming in. Let's hope the development and adjustment for all of them goes along with their lofty status and that they can gel to make another run at the end of the year. In this day and age, you've got a short window to make use of that talent, especially when you're bringing in 1st round draft picks. Bring in Dowzak next year, and you'll have another possible first rounder, along with Toews.

Nice to see so many sioux recruits get drafted higher than they were supposed to. I think every recruit to get drafted was drafted ahead of where they were predicted. I was a little surprised that Zach Jones did not get drafted, but there were quite a few surprises(i.e. Oshie going in round 1) that I kind of expected the unexpected. Oh well though it was a great draft for UND recruits and it looks like we won't be keeping too many of these new recruits for very long.

From INCH regarding Brian Lee.

Senators' GM John Muckler: "We could have some problems on defense because of unrestricted free agency. We feel we drafted a player who can be playing in our top four within the next two years. In this (CBA) system, he's going to have to."

There is definitely going to be some talent on the ice for the next couple of years, it will be a lot of fun to watch these young players develop.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope we will be able to keep most of them around for a while........and that we get a chance to see this freshman class play together as they mature.

Jfr, I think consensus was that the Sioux's incoming frosh were second-best, behind Michigan, IIRC. With the draft results, I'd guess that will change in a lot of people's minds. And if Jack Johnson bolts to the NHL instead of Ann Arbor as some are speculating, I'd say the Sioux all of a sudden are tops.

Really, who cares where classes are rated or how many draft picks are in the class. As impressive as the class appears draftwise, they still need to produce on the ice. Sioux fans know just as well as anyone, that it is the players that aren't that highly regarded coming in like Phil Sykes, Matt Henderson and Jeff Panzer that have turned out to be great college players. I think what this draft does is verify what we know, that the coaches have done a great job of picking out the talent. We also know that they are good at grooming talent, so it is up to the recruits to take the next step by following through on the instruction and doing the work in the weight room to keep their progression as a player going forward, because the coaches can only do so much. We all know players that have had great freshman years then backtracked. I think that part of the reason that many of the players coming in were drafted higher than expected is because of the character seen in them. If that is the case, then we can expect to see them progress quite nicely.

tnt, Thanks for the reality check.

First, I would rather have the draft go well for UND's prospects than poorly, so in that regard I'm of course thrilled with Saturday's results. It looks like there are some really nice players coming in.

That said, you are absolutely right that production on the ice is what matters, and things like draft position don't matter when you're scrapping in the corner with a 23-year old. Most of these kids are true freshmen, and they are alternately going to have their hands full and show flashes of brilliance.

The new-REA era is a new world for UND, as the program is adjusting from assembling teams of slightly older, second-tier, undrafted players (UND's 1997 title team had zero NHL draftees) to building teams of high NHL draft picks, who often start at age 18, or even 17, and sign professional contracts after two or three years. This is Michigan's strategy, and it's instructive to note that Michigan's title drought is now at seven years. I'm definitely in favor of pursuing the best players, and it's exciting to think of the possibilities for UND over the next few years, but it's not certain that success follows immediately after a promising group such as this one arrives. I hope Sioux fans can be patient as these kids develop over the next few years.

The new-REA era is a new world for UND, as the program is adjusting from assembling teams of slightly older, second-tier, undrafted players (UND's 1997 title team had zero NHL draftees) to building teams of high NHL draft picks, who often start at age 18, or even 17, and sign professional contracts after two or three years.  This is Michigan's strategy, and it's instructive to note that Michigan's title drought is now at seven years.  I'm definitely in favor of pursuing the best players, and it's exciting to think of the possibilities for UND over the next few years, but it's not certain that success follows immediately after a promising group such as this one arrives.  I hope Sioux fans can be patient as these kids develop over the next few years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with jk, but I think it's interesting that several of the Sioux recruits who got drafted were not generally considered big pro prospects when they were initially recruited by UND. TJ Oshie and Andrew Kozek, for example. Nobody would have predicted they'd both go in the top two rounds of the draft when they were recruited. Chris VandeVelde was considered a marginal D-I recruit, even by some Moorhead people when he committed to UND as a junior.

Either Hakstol and company had the wisdom to recognize qualities in these players that others had not yet seen, or they had the good fortune to find some players who have continued to develop beyond expectations. Or maybe they will turn out to be a bunch of overrated hacks. :ohmy:

I agree with jk, but I think it's interesting that several of the Sioux recruits who got drafted were not generally considered big pro prospects when they were initially recruited by UND. TJ Oshie and Andrew Kozek, for example. Nobody would have predicted they'd both go in the top two rounds of the draft when they were recruited. Chris VandeVelde was considered a marginal D-I recruit, even by some Moorhead people when he committed to UND as a junior.

Either Hakstol and company had the wisdom to recognize qualities in these players that others had not yet seen, or they had the good fortune to find some players who have continued to develop beyond expectations. Or maybe they will turn out to be a bunch of overrated hacks.  :ohmy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Hak and company realized that players such as the three you mentioned were good at the time but Hak saw that they were only going to get better. From what I've heard about Vandevelde is that is the reason we offered him so early. I can't remember if it was Blais or Hak that said they wanted to get him before anybody else realized his potential. All I've been hearing about these three is that we haven't seen nothing yet and they are only going to get better and better. These recruits have been picked up based on potential rather than pure talent at the time but by the sounds of it it looks pretty certain they were all great pickups.

I think that this will be one of the best classes ever. It is a lot bigger than you would like, but there is proabably 5 guys that will leave early which is unfortunate, but it should even the classes out in the long run.

This class has a little of everything. The top NHL draft Picks and Toews will go in the first round next year. It has a lot of talent, very competetive gritty players that have played and won championships. It has size and speed. It has top end players that will be here 2, 3 years and players that will have great 4 year careers. It's obvious that people didn't realize Oshie's talent until the draft. I know others are going to be shocked at how good Kozek is right away. How nice it will be having Watkins and Duncan for 4 years and the most underated player will be Miller. He wont be an impact player next year, but in the future he will impress you with his hands and how smart he is. He will have a great career and a great power play play maker.

Miller. The forgotten forward. I'm always excited to watch the new guys and see what they bring to the team and how they develop. I've been real interested in seeing what Miller might be able to contribute. He gets absolutely no press, but I've heard he has great hands and puck skills. Will be interesting to watch him over time.

Yeah, who knows what Miller might bring to the Sioux. He put up similar numbers to Wheeler before he got hurt, so maybe he can crack the line-up and show his skills. Let's hope the Sioux don't have injury problems like last year, when players cracked the line-up by default. Not saying they didn't deserve to play, just wish it would have been a competitive issue, rather than an injury-related reason.

Yeah, who knows what Miller might bring to the Sioux.  He put up similar numbers to Wheeler before he got hurt, so maybe he can crack the line-up and show his skills.  Let's hope the Sioux don't have injury problems like last year, when players cracked the line-up by default.  Not saying they didn't deserve to play, just wish it would have been a competitive issue, rather than an injury-related reason.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I remember correctly, Miller posted similar stats in his Senior year at Shattuck as Toews and Okposo did last year......Okposo will be a senior this year, but I have been told he is going to be playing in the USHL......does anyone have an update??

Miller had roughly 65 points his senior year at Shattuck compared to Toews having I believe 116 and Okposo having 98 (I believe) that same year. That was when Okposo and Toews were Sophmores too. Okposo is going to play for the Des Moines Buccaneers this year rather than return for his senior season at Shattuck.

2005 DRAFT REVIEWS..Some of these are new and some we have read already

Brian Lee

"Next year he will head to the University of North Dakota, one of the top college programs in the country, and one that the Senators know well, having watched top prospect Brandon Bochenski play there for three years."

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?s...hreaded&order=0

Joe Finley

"Finley signed a letter of intent with the University of North Dakota and was one of three Fighting Sioux incoming recruits (along with Brian Lee and T.J. Oshie) to be drafted in the first round.

Chorney and Vande Velde

"Chorney was heavily recruited but has committed to joining the Fighting Sioux of North Dakota for the fall, which Edmonton regards as a terrific place for him to go."

"After his stint with Lincoln, Vande Velde will join Taylor Chorney at North Dakota where the Oilers know he

2005 Draft Reviews Continued....

Matt Watkins

"A smart player with good vision, Watkins has good speed and skill. Patient with the puck, he sees the ice well and is also strong on the power play. He has committed to play for the University of North Dakota this fall."

• 2 weeks later...

Ottawa signed their top pick from 2003 (I think that was the year)

Defensemen Andrej Meszaros.

Also I read an article from the Ottawa Sun that Jan 1st Ottawa can resign Redden and Chara. A lot of people were saying they couldn't afford both of them and one would get traded, but this article said they offered 3 players to sign for the same money so that they could keep all three guys. These 2 guys and Marion Hossa. The 2 Defensemen verbally agreed to the deal and Hossa didn't and then he was traded.

My point is hopefully we get Lee longer then a year or two. I am being greedy, but I would love to see Lee play for at least 3 years. He is the best high school player I have ever watched and I cant wait to see him play in a Sioux jersey.

The article goto www.ottawasun.com and click on hockey

Ottawa signed their top pick from 2003 (I think that was the year)

Defensemen Andrej Meszaros.

Also I read an article from the Ottawa Sun that Jan 1st Ottawa can resign Redden and Chara. A lot of people were saying they couldn't afford both of them and one would get traded, but this article said they offered 3 players to sign for the same money so that they could keep all three guys.  These 2 guys and Marion Hossa.  The 2 Defensemen verbally agreed to the deal and Hossa didn't and then he was traded.

My point is hopefully we get Lee longer then a year or two.  I am being greedy, but I would love to see Lee play for at least 3 years.  He is the best high school player I have ever watched and I cant wait to see him play in a Sioux jersey.

The article goto  www.ottawasun.com  and click on hockey

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lee is so poised out there, if we ever need a freshman to play big at D, this is the year...