SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

Do any of you think that Galbreath or LaDouceur will make it big time?

Asking the question do you think someone will make it big time in a message board where most of the people in here do not know these kids personally is very difficult to answer. For example (these are fictional names and fictional scenarios)- Mike is a fairly big kid, he's 6 feet tall and 180 lbs., he out muscles the smaller players in the league and finds it easy to get to the net and score. His work ethic off ice is however suspect. He would rather hang out with his friends and play video games rather than work on his skating stride and shot release. Tim on the other hand is a small quick forward- about 5'9" 160 lbs. He is hardly fully developed and even though he is a very talented player he is out muscled on the puck and is frustrated he can't find the back of the net like Mike can. Tim's work ethic is second to none, any spare time he has he spends it working on his strength and shot...

Which one of those two players do you think will make it big time? An easier question to answer correct? The logic to that is when Tim fully matures like his friend Mike not only will he have the size but he will have the work ethic and all the skills to go along with it. He will only get better and better. Because I know nothing about the work habits of Galbreath or LaDouceur it makes it very difficult for me to give an analysis on how far they will go in the game. Some of the players everyone believes are the best players in the state now, may not be come State Tournement. Best of luck to them.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define "big time"..

That would be my question as well.

Whatever the definition, it is total speculation as to where these kids will end up. I would say that it is far too early to make that kind of determination. I could provide a number of things that each kid needs to work on, to move up in the world of hockey, based on what I have seen from them so far this year but I don't think that is a good thing to do on a message board. They are in a good program and have excellent coaching, especially with Mark Bry - a former Mr. Hockey and Junior "A" defenseman. If they have the work ethic and improve they should have a future beyond high school hockey.

Whatever the definition, it is total speculation as to where these kids will end up. I would say that it is far too early to make that kind of determination. I could provide a number of things that each kid needs to work on, to move up in the world of hockey, based on what I have seen from them so far this year but I don't think that is a good thing to do on a message board. They are in a good program and have excellent coaching, especially with Mark Bry - a former Mr. Hockey and Junior "A" defenseman. If they have the work ethic and improve they should have a future beyond high school hockey.

I happend to know both of these 2 players and they both are very hard-workers. They love the game of hockey. They are both very athletic aswell. As time goes on they will both become bigger and stronger. I think they both have a legit chance at playing with a good Junior A team.

I agree with your rankings, but I would put Grafton ahead of RR for now.

I've been pleasently surprised with Minot. Although they are a little lacking in the depth department both of the losses this year occurred with them playing without some of their better players. Yesterday against East Grand they played without one of the better wings on the team (for what reason I am unsure), and the second line center played only one shift and left with a hurt shoulder (maybe collar bone, not sure), and they had to juggle some things up. It worries me that this team has been hit with the injury bug, but then again it also worries me that they only put up two goals yesterday when they had a lot of chances to score some more.

I'll give my rankings.

1. South

2. Grafton

3. Red River

4. Central

5. Shanley

6. West Fargo

7. Minot

8. Fargo North

9. Williston

10. Devils Lake

I was just wondering why you thought Shanley would be 5th when they beat Central who you have ranked ahead of them. Shanley puts a good squad on the ice, really transition well. I think they'll stack up well with the rest of the east this year. Another thing I noticed was North and Minot behind West Fargo, that just seems odd to me. ;)

I was just wondering why you thought Shanley would be 5th when they beat Central who you have ranked ahead of them. Shanley puts a good squad on the ice, really transition well. I think they'll stack up well with the rest of the east this year. Another thing I noticed was North and Minot behind West Fargo, that just seems odd to me. ;)

Shanley may stack up well with the mid to bottom of the pack teams but they'll never come close to the trio at the top.

1. South/Grafton

3. Red River

4. West Fargo

5. North

6. Minot

7. Central

8. Williston

Top seed can't be decided till they play their make up game. That should be an amazing high school hockey game and i think it will come down to who takes more penalties because both teams should have deadly powerplays with all the firepower they have.

Edited by Stiouxy

1. South/Grafton

3. Red River

4. West Fargo

5. North

6. Minot

7. Central

8. Williston

Top seed can't be decided till they play their make up game. That should be an amazing high school hockey game and i think it will come down to who takes more penalties because both teams should have deadly powerplays with all the firepower they have.

1. South/Grafton

3. Red River

4. West Fargo

5. North

6. Minot

7. Central

8. Williston

Thats a flat out joke, WF as a 4? I think you've gone mad from all your posting. Rethink your rankings until you have something intelligent to post.

I put Shanley 5th because although they beat Central, I still believe Central to be the better hockey team. I put Minot and North behind West Fargo for now because West Fargo has played pretty well up to this point, and there is no reason yet to drop them. North got beaten badly at home by Grafton (I expected them to lose, but not by that much), and Minot has yet to beat an eastern team. I honestly believe that West Fargo has a legit chance to make state this year.

1. South/Grafton

3. Red River

4. West Fargo

5. North

6. Minot

7. Central

8. Williston

Thats a flat out joke, WF as a 4? I think you've gone mad from all your posting. Rethink your rankings until you have something intelligent to post.

Since im on...

My current rankings:

1. Fargo South

2. Red River

3. Grafton

4. West Fargo

5. Fargo North

6. Central

7. Shanley

8. Minot

As I said before, I think West Fargo will manage to pull together a decent team regardless of a pretty weak coaching staff. Fargo North really has potential that I think they have yet to show. I think Jay Erickson is a good coach for their program and hopefully they can also pull together a decent team come playoff time. I still believe Central is a better team than Shanley and I'm sure most would agree there..

also note: as ND Pride has mentioned its very early to tell. But this is where we're at I think...

Since im on...

My current rankings:

1. Fargo South

2. Red River

3. Grafton

4. West Fargo

5. Fargo North

6. Central

7. Shanley

8. Minot

As I said before, I think West Fargo will manage to pull together a decent team regardless of a pretty weak coaching staff. Fargo North really has potential that I think they have yet to show. I think Jay Erickson is a good coach for their program and hopefully they can also pull together a decent team come playoff time. I still believe Central is a better team than Shanley and I'm sure most would agree there..

also note: as ND Pride has mentioned its very early to tell. But this is where we're at I think...

Thats a very fair analysis. The top three teams are fairly obvious as of right now, and that makes it hard to speculate who will finish 4th,5th, and 6th. Remember EDC records count for nothing if you don't win to games at EDC. It's going to be a battle for that fourth spot and it's gonna be interesting to see who comes out on top out of those middle teams. West Fargo is better than most have thought, and Central is down from previous years. I think the team we know least about is North. We know they have a completely new program and even though they lack depth, who knows where this coaching staff will take them. Each of these teams has there highs and lows and I can't wait until each of them meets.

1. Fargo South/Red River

3. Grafton

4. West Fargo/Central

6. Minot

7. Shanley

I feel its a pretty even tie between South and Red River. I was at the game and both teams looked great. They played a run and gun style, similiar to the wide open WCHA. But with Red Rivers tie against Crookston it throws a little doubt into the mix. As far as Grafton, i am solely basing this on the fact they have only played North (and thumped them badly) so until they play Red River and South and Central and show what they can do against those teams, i'll keep them at three. West Fargo has been the surpise team of the state so far this season. I feel with the way they have played up to this point in the season, they garner the honors as the darkhorse in state. Central i believe is right up in the mix. I know everyone points to the fact they lost to Shanley (and shanley is a very hard working team) you have to realize that they are starting with a whole new coaching staff, and new systems to learn and that learning curve takes time. Now for those of you who jump all over my case about this Central in fourth and losing to shanley proves they are down, look what happened to Red River with Crookston. Hey Central outplayed Shanley plain and simple, so did Red River against Crookston, but neither team came away with a win that night. I was fortunate enough to watch the last two Cental games and they play a different style then what we are all use to. They physically dominated and controlled their last two games and it looks like the learning curve for the new systems is finally taking affect. They have a great head coach along with two former Division I players on their coaching staff. But until Central plays South, Red River, and Grafton and we see what they do with them, they deserve to be in fourth. Minot has played well with their losses to the eastern teams and hung in there, and i don't see much a challenge out in the west for them. Shanley has pulled off two major upsets in beating Central and Jamestown, and played right with Red River until the third period so i do believe they belong in the 7th spot. But even with all these predictions as fun as it is, its to early in the season to really know what is going to happen, all that counts is which team is at their best come Feb.

1. Fargo South/Red River

3. Grafton

4. West Fargo/Central

6. Minot

7. Shanley

I feel its a pretty even tie between South and Red River. I was at the game and both teams looked great. They played a run and gun style, similiar to the wide open WCHA. But with Red Rivers tie against Crookston it throws a little doubt into the mix. As far as Grafton, i am solely basing this on the fact they have only played North (and thumped them badly) so until they play Red River and South and Central and show what they can do against those teams, i'll keep them at three. West Fargo has been the surpise team of the state so far this season. I feel with the way they have played up to this point in the season, they garner the honors as the darkhorse in state. Central i believe is right up in the mix. I know everyone points to the fact they lost to Shanley (and shanley is a very hard working team) you have to realize that they are starting with a whole new coaching staff, and new systems to learn and that learning curve takes time. Now for those of you who jump all over my case about this Central in fourth and losing to shanley proves they are down, look what happened to Red River with Crookston. Hey Central outplayed Shanley plain and simple, so did Red River against Crookston, but neither team came away with a win that night. I was fortunate enough to watch the last two Cental games and they play a different style then what we are all use to. They physically dominated and controlled their last two games and it looks like the learning curve for the new systems is finally taking affect. They have a great head coach along with two former Division I players on their coaching staff. But until Central plays South, Red River, and Grafton and we see what they do with them, they deserve to be in fourth. Minot has played well with their losses to the eastern teams and hung in there, and i don't see much a challenge out in the west for them. Shanley has pulled off two major upsets in beating Central and Jamestown, and played right with Red River until the third period so i do believe they belong in the 7th spot. But even with all these predictions as fun as it is, its to early in the season to really know what is going to happen, all that counts is which team is at their best come Feb.

Great Head Coach????Tony Bina? Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't this only like his third year of coaching...what has he done to make you think hes a great head coach?

In the surprise of the night, while driving around Grand Forks tonight I tune into the GPR-Devils Lake game to find out that although the score is 6-2, the game was a lot closer than that (as commented on by both Grafton radio guys). Devils Lake has got a great coach, and has a young squad that will only get better with time. I'm not sure how the score ended, but the fact that it was only 4-2 going into the third period (at least thats how the Grafton radio guys made it seem) says a lot about how much Devils Lake has improved.

Anybody have a final score for the Central-EGF game? Last I heard was 2-0 EGF after two.

Crosby, very good question, i apologize for not allaborating. I based my opinions through what i heard from people in Bismarck, and some of the comments coming out of the people in Grand Forks. I overstated when i said that makes him a great coach. I should have just said a quality one from what i have heard. No basis or fact on that just opinions from others. Junior as far as their two DI players who are coaches they would be Nick Fuher who we all know starred here at UND, and Chad Dahlen who played for Lake Superior State. The final score of the game tonight was 5 - 0 for East Grand. Very well played game for EGF. and a very poorly played one for GFC.

Crosby, very good question, i apologize for not allaborating. I based my opinions through what i heard from people in Bismarck, and some of the comments coming out of the people in Grand Forks. I overstated when i said that makes him a great coach. I should have just said a quality one from what i have heard. No basis or fact on that just opinions from others. Junior as far as their two DI players who are coaches they would be Nick Fuher who we all know starred here at UND, and Chad Dahlen who played for Lake Superior State. The final score of the game tonight was 5 - 0 for East Grand. Very well played game for EGF. and a very poorly played one for GFC.

I agree... GFC did play quite poorly. ;):0

While I have been reading posts on this thread for quite sometime, I have not felt the need to comment until now. You, --- are obviously delusional if you feel that anybody playing hockey at RR is receiving "excellent coaching" especially from Mark Bry. If you were to poll players (past, present and parents as well)

you would find that most have zero respect for any of them and agree that those men could take the best players in the state and destroy them by the end of the season. The team that won state last year did so not because of them but in spite of them and I have heard the words ''egotistical maniac" used to refer to Mark Bry who is probably still pissed he never went anywhere in hockey.

West Fargo improves to 3-0 with another blow out win. Still think they dont deserve credit he who shoots top shelf?

Talk to me on sunday night after they play the only "Red" team that matters. Let me tell you 3-1 going into the 3rd vs. Red Lake Falls and giving up almost 30 shots to a bad Jamestown team isnt going to cut it if they're in the class you say they are.

Talk to me on sunday night after they play the only "Red" team that matters. Let me tell you 3-1 going into the 3rd vs. Red Lake Falls and giving up almost 30 shots to a bad Jamestown team isnt going to cut it if they're in the class you say they are.

Couldnt have said it better myself

Actually WF was up 3-0 going into the third period and were winning 4-0 before RLF scored. And didn't the only red team that matters just tie Crookston? Maybe they're ranked a little high...

Sorry guys, I just couldn't stay out of this one. I think WF is a great team.