SiouxSports.com Forum

The old Engelstad Site

The Sicatoka

Seems to me that the most logical place for a new athletics facility would be over by the REA and new wellness center. I have no idea what kind of access or control UND has to the land over there, or maybe they have set it aside for something already, but it seems convient to have all our sports facillities to one cluster. :) Is this even possible?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to me that the most logical place for a new athletics facility would be over by the REA and new wellness center...

I like this idea too. Having all the athletic facilites in one area would be nice...then again, the land there is prime for more commercial development.

Siouxrunner, great rant.

What would have to be torn down to make Memorial Stadium work? It's an old interesting structure, but would football truly complain about some remoldaling? If you've never been in Memorial, it isn't big.

What could be done with Hyslop to make it work better for some other sports? My thinking on that would be that it's cheaper to tear the place down. Hyslop might have been great for basketball at various gyms inside, but that building is a dump. Except for the intermural part that has classrooms that were hardly used when I was there. Anybody know when the that part was added on?

Seems to me that the most logical place for a new athletics facility would be over by the REA and new wellness center. I have no idea what kind of access or control UND has to the land over there, or maybe they have set it aside for something already, but it seems convient to have all our sports facillities to one cluster. :) Is this even possible?

Some of that area has been ear marked for new office space for the administration which is in the fund raising budget of the administration.

Thinking way big-picture and long term, there really isn't great space for new academic buildings on campus.

With parking ramps going in soon, returning the Hyslop space for new academic buildings would be something to think about too.

That would probably mean:

- competition pool on Wellness

- bubble over Memorial

- another building somewhere down the road to replace the lost space in Hyslop.

All that is probably at least a 10-15 year plan.

• 3 months later...

Looking at the UND interactive map I find that the Old Ralph is being used for an Environmental Training Institute. I don't remember hearing that before. Is this just a temporary use of the facility? Is this a new program? Being in construction I can see a real need for this type of education. Mold remediation and lead abatement are big businesses.

http://www.UND.edu/map/map.html

Looking at the UND interactive map I find that the Old Ralph is being used for an Environmental Training Institute. I don't remember hearing that before. Is this just a temporary use of the facility? Is this a new program?

They started using the old Ralph for that purpose soon after the last game was played there.

They started using the old Ralph for that purpose soon after the last game was played there.

I thought I read somewhere that the old Ralph was not considered structurely sound and that is why is could not be converted for use as something other than what it was built for. :love: I guess I should only get my information from SS.com! :lol:

I read somewhere that the old Ralph was not considered structurely sound and that is why is could not be converted for use as something other than what it was built for. :love: I guess I should only get my information from SS.com! :lol:

The arena area itself probably isn't structually sound. My guess is that what's happening with the Environmental Training Institute is in the offices and conference rooms.

The arena area itself probably isn't structually sound. My guess is that what's happening with the Environmental Training Institute is in the offices and conference rooms.

The ETI does use the offices and conference rooms (the addition that was put on the west side). I don't ever remember hearing that the building wasn't structually sound although that is possible. I did hear that it needs a new roof and would take a lot of work to convert for another use. I think that the cost of the renovations would be more than the building is worth, it would probably be cheaper to tear it down and build new than renovate.

For the time being, it has been serving as a great asset to some of the other athletic teams on campus. Track and Field/CC & Baseball have benefitted from this building immensely. T & F/CC had been using the concourse as an area to work out (sprints...ect) and Baseball has been taking their pitchers over there to work on individual bullpens and longtoss...they also were able to use the concourse for conditioning. I believe that it was also used by the ROTC to do some of their early morning workouts and whatnot, and the old scoreboard from the Hyslop had been stored there as well.

I realize however, that aside from the extra space that allowed these programs the freedom to do some different things with their respective squads, this building has to be a financial burden on the University. I will be sad to see it go...lots of memories from the old place.