SiouxSports.com Forum

New arena in fargo?

#1siouxfan22

But what's even funnier is that you (and others) just assume one of the two GF schools will win state every single year... just because they happen to call GF home? :glare:

Typical GF hockey arrogance. :D

I was guilty of it too when I was a snotty little punk kid growing up in GF. I disrespected every other team in the state... and had the audacity to wonder why the rest of the state hated us so much. Now I get it, now that I'm much older and wiser.

Just for the record... the GF Supras mites team only lost two games this past season. One of them was to a team from Canada, the other was against my son's team. So, uhhhh... yeah, I think it's a bit premature for you to completely rule out the possibility that South might beat one of your precious GF schools in state when my son gets to that level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As my kid always says, who is yet to be born, you need to take a chill pill. It was a joke. A "LOL" if you will, because I know how much it chaps your behind. ??? and your long post just proved it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I, as well as most of the parents of the kids who played on my son's hockey team last season, are among those who got absentee ballots from the pro side. I will be extremely disappointed if this thing doesn't pass. My oldest son will be playing for the Bruins within the next 7-8 years and deserves to play in a better venue than the Fargo Coliseum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has he verballed to UND yet or is he still exploring his options?

I think that it is pretty sad when a dad becomes one of "those parents". It is ridiculous to compare mites and project their progress out seven years. Half of those mite kids can barely skate yet. Wait four or five years which will be when the skating gap will narrow among kids. At that point, true skill and desire will be more apparent and the kids that were pushed by their "hockey dads" will be burnt out and quit.

By the way, who won the state ND hs title this year, the Bantam title, and pee wee titles this year? I am pretty sure that Grand forks won the first two and fisnished runner up to Grafton in Pee Wee. Perhaps the death of Grand Forks hockey is a bit premature and Fargo will not win the next 50 titles after all.

So many open question:

- What about building a firestation to replace the one that would be torn down?

- Why should the city buy the whole block and then resell part of it to Cityscapes?

- The $40 MM only builds the arena. It doesn't build parking, or city infrastructure to support the facility (sewer, water), or the above firestation.

- Fargo taxpayers have a $40 MM tax bill for a third HS on the horizon.

- Mayor Furness was talking $50 to $100 MM for a water project to ensure that Fargo has an adequate water supply 50 years from now just before this project came to light.

And that's just the beginning of the list.

Like I said before in here, build a couple of practice sheets way south by where the new HS could go. Then build a "Little Ralph" like in TRF somewhere with good access for everyone in the city. You'll have spent less than half of the money and have more facilities if "ice" is the issue.

Another thought:

April 2000, Fargo Arena: 63% no.

May 2005, Renaissance Center Arena: 71% no.

Now what do they do?

So many open question:

Like I said before in here, build a couple of practice sheets way south by where the new HS could go. Then build a "Little Ralph" like in TRF somewhere with good access for everyone in the city. You'll have spent less than half of the money and have more facilities if "ice" is the issue.

Another thought:

April 2000, Fargo Arena: 63% no.

May 2005, Renaissance Center Arena: 71% no.

Now what do they do?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But if they did it this way nobody would be getting rich. ;) I thought it was pretty sick how much Furness and some other politicians were greasing this. It was pretty clear it was a terrible idea, so what was in it for them. Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I see at best some promises of cushy jobs after public service, and at worse some kickbacks.

The people of Fargo want hockey, but they are also realistic. You cannot propose a $40 million taxpayer funded building with no foreseeable tenants. I have no doubts they would be able to get a few concerts in there, but there is no way a junior hockey team could support the operating costs, let alone generate any revenue. Plus Lauerman's is the best bar in the area, it would be a shame to destroy it.

So, uhhhh... yeah, I think it's a bit premature for you to completely rule out the possibility that South might beat one of your precious GF schools in state when my son gets to that level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The fact that you assume your kid will actually be good enough to play at the High School level is....ARROGANCE !!!

The fact that you assume your kid will actually be good enough to play at the High School level is....ARROGANCE !!!

I think there's a difference between arrogance and self-confidence. Most kids grow up assuming they'll someday be rich, or a famous politician, or a rock star, or own a UND athletics web site. While 80% turn out to be wrong and lead nice quiet lives like the rest of us, I promise you that every single person who does achieve greatness came from that pool of always being sure they would.

No one plays competitive youth sports without assuming they'll make it to play at high school. I mean, really, you think there are a bunch of peewees out there just enjoying some good exercise and planning on dropping out before high school? Many may not make it, but I think all plan on making it.

I think there's a difference between arrogance and self-confidence.  Most kids grow up assuming they'll someday be rich, or a famous politician, or a rock star, or own a UND athletics web site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, I didn't grow up wanting to own a UND web site. Is there something wrong with me?? ;);)

My second point is that I don't recall anybody ever suggesting that Fargo schools would win the next 50 titles. What I said, and had you paid better attention you would know this, is that I expect within the next few years to see South and Grafton to join Central and Red River as the teams that win state titles on a somewhat regular basis. I could see each of those four programs winning five out of the next 20. I don't see North being much of a factor anytime soon. The majority of young hockey players in Fargo live on the south side of I-94.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Projecting out to the next 20 years based on youth hockey today? How about this, after the next 5 years a southside school will not even make it to state. Sound stupid? It is. But when another high school is built on the southside it could spread the talent out so much that no one has the critical mass. Throw in Shanley and you have 3 southside schools competing for talent if another public is added. If you want to create castles in the sky the scenarios are unlimited. This post is presented tongue in cheek - my point - let the kids play the game today. These far off speculations are goofy. Parents get job transfers and leave town - taking their kids with them (sometimes), some top kids leave early for juniors, etc , etc. Oh, and I don't live in Grand Forks but have many great friends there - as well as in Grafton, Bismarck, etc.

Well, that sounds logical enough I guess. My point is just that it's really obnoxious for anybody to rule out the possibility that a non-GF school might win a title or two at some point in the future based on what has happened in the past.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would have to agree with you on that.