SiouxSports.com Forum

Phil Kessel

pro17

"By himself" is stretching it a bit...WCHA hockey is a little more physical than U-17... And for my money, the best USA player on the ice at the WJC's was Drew Stafford. Kessel's a great player tho, no doubt, and was very exciting to watch. Like Dagies says, it will be great to see him move on...Maybe he'll defect and go right to the pros as a replacement player... :D

I'll agree with your comment regarding Stafford playing extremely well at the WJC but Kessel showed glimpses of beinging the most dominating player on the ice- at the same time the youngest. Stafford will never be that type of player. Being one of the greatest under 18 USA players of all-time, Kessell will be one for the ages. He'll be shadowed in the WCHA, but he has been his whole life. I'm sure he was a focus of his opponents at the WJC 18's and still walked away with the gold medal and the scoring title with ease.

No way you just called Phil Kessel a Sue reject?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Duey, I didn't figure you would show up here anymore after that ass whuppin you're Goofers took a few weeks back. I am guessing the Goofy players are still nursing the bruises from being pounded into submission by the Sioux. Your Goofies better hit the weight room because they looked like a bunch of wimps out there, not willing to pay the price at all, now that is a team to be proud of.

Duey, I didn't figure you would show up here anymore after that ass whuppin you're Goofers took a few weeks back. I am guessing the Goofy players are still nursing the bruises from being pounded into submission by the Sioux. Your Goofies better hit the weight room because they looked like a bunch of wimps out there, not willing to pay the price at all, now that is a team to be proud of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah...you got us good....congrats on that National Championship!

yeah...you got us good....congrats on that National Championship!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This year the Sioux have taken the lead in THEE team that has been in the most National Championship games...12...with a 7-5 record... which by some stange coincidence is the same advantage the Sioux have over the Gophers 7>5.

I'll agree with your comment regarding Stafford playing extremely well at the WJC but Kessel showed glimpses of beinging the most dominating player on the ice- at the same time the youngest.  Stafford will never be that type of player.  Being one of the greatest under 18 USA players of all-time, Kessell will be one for the ages.  He'll be shadowed in the WCHA, but he has been his whole life.  I'm sure he was a focus of his opponents at the WJC 18's and still walked away with the gold medal and the scoring title with ease.

Good catch on that comparison. What's Stafford, 2 years older? And with 1.5 years of time against a higher level of competition than Kessel at the time of the WJC's. I don't think you can use that comparison.

My opinion is that Kessel is going to make all the other team's fans jealous.

This year the Sioux have taken the lead in THEE team that has been in the most National Championship games...12...with a 7-5 record... which by some stange coincidence is the same advantage the Sioux have over the Gophers 7>5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Minnesota has played North Dakota 259 time(s) in their history and their overall record is 132-116-11.

I was hoping we wouldn't have to ressurect another thread regarding a Gopher recruit but so be it. I got to watch some of the games on TV while I was up in Ottawa and the Refs were calling penalties on what would be clean hits in the WCHA. Hence by the end of the tournament the games looked more like a scrimmage. Canada was missing most of their top players due to the major junior playoffs, which includes Crosby. The second best Canadian U18, Brule, was injured and Toews couldn't join the teams training camp in time. You can talk up the Goofer recruits all you want but we all know that the WCHA is a completely different game and story. Size and toughness wins championships not doodlebugs. :D

Minnesota has played North Dakota 259 time(s) in their history and their overall record is 132-116-11.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Dubay for that, by the way both schools do not agree on those numbers. I think the Goofers are trying to pad their stats. Besides hardware is most important and the Goofs cannot match the Sioux in league titles or NC's. You did not answer the question......are your boys going to hit the weight room this summer so they don't play like a bunch of pansies out there?:D?? I have hardly seen a softer team than this year's golden bunch.

I've heard that many of Kessel's teammates think that he has one good "move" and that at a higher level he will get solved. At the WJ tournament he was pretty well neutralized as the tournament progressed and teams got a better look at him.

He is an exciting player and phenomenal skater, but I doubt he will come in and lead the league in scoring. I think that all the hype has made people's expectations way to high for this kid. If Toews had made such a circus out of his selection the attention he would have received would have been just as silly.

No doubt that Kessel is going to be a potentially game breaking player, but I'm not defaulting number 6 to the gophers based on the All Mighty Phil. THe UND recruits are in the same class as the gophs.

I can't wait until the Friday night in GF when Kessel comes flying down the wing and trys to go wide on Greene... and then Kessel is plastered into the boards...and then Kessel trys to find his way back to the bench...

Go Sioux

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gee, but how many of those games did the Goofies think "really counted" for anything? The Goofs probably won a handful of those.

Go home Duey. Make sure that you look both ways before crossing the street.

Go home Duey.  Make sure that you look both ways before crossing the street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What are you talking about? "Duey" is obviously Frank Mazzaco. I'd say Doug Woog, but he's not making enough sense. ;):D

As far as Kessel, it's nice to see him around the league for a year or so.