SiouxSports.com Forum

Zach Attack Article

NoDakHockey281183

I seen the Article. Good article with some great pictures.

I miss Zack. He was so fun to watch. I keep thinking to myself how lucky we were to get to watch Greg Jognson for 4 years. His team never won anything, but it didn't matter. Watching guys like him and Zack are what it is alll about for me. We have had a LOT of great players, but those 2 are real special players as well as people.

never got to the frozen four with zach. i'll take zajac.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree! As talented a player as Parise was he was not able to lead us to the promised land. If think Zajac had almost as good of a freshman season as Parise did. I really think Zajac is more of a complete player as a freshman than Parise was, plus Zach seemed to really wear down as the season went on where Zajac did not seem to wear down as much and was great in the post season.

I agree! As talented a player as Parise was he was not able to lead us to the promised land. If think Zajac had almost as good of a freshman season as Parise did. I really think Zajac is more of a complete player as a freshman than Parise was, plus Zach seemed to really wear down as the season went on where Zajac did not seem to wear down as much and was great in the post season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME. I too am a huge zajac fan, i hope he sticks out all four years and brings us to the house three more times, but he did not recieve the same kind of attention from other teams that zach did. For one, there was a rule "change" after zach's sophomore year because of the attention he got. You too woulda wore down towards the end of the year trying to skate with someone draped all over you every time you stepped on the ice. I don't mean to be an ass about this, but zach was just as good on the PK and in the defensive zone, and showed off more offensive skills than zajac as a freshman even with a defensman wrapped around his waste trying to tackle him. Give Zajac his just due, but don't slam Parise in doing so.... end rant

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME. I too am a huge zajac fan, i hope he sticks out all four years and brings us to the house three more times, but he did not recieve the same kind of attention from other teams that zach did. For one, there was a rule "change" after zach's sophomore year because of the attention he got. You too woulda wore down towards the end of the year trying to skate with someone draped all over you every time you stepped on the ice. I don't mean to be an ass about this, but zach was just as good on the PK and in the defensive zone, and showed off more offensive skills than zajac as a freshman even with a defensman wrapped around his waste trying to tackle him. Give Zajac his just due, but don't slam Parise in doing so.... end rant

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who was slamming Parise? I am saying that I believe Zajac had as impressive a freshman year as Parise did and I also think he will be a better pro but time will tell. Zajac is also much better on face offs than Parise was. Zajac is quite a bit bigger than Parise and that will help him at the NHL level. Zach was a great player but during his time at UND he was not able to help the Sioux do what great players do and that is win in the postseason.

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME.    I too am a huge zajac fan, i hope he sticks out all four years and brings us to the house three more times,  but he did not recieve the same kind of attention from other teams that zach did.  For one,  there was a rule "change" after zach's sophomore year because of the attention he got.  You too woulda wore down towards the end of the year trying to skate with someone draped all over you every time you stepped on the ice.  I don't mean to be an ass about this,  but zach was just as good on the PK and in the defensive zone, and showed off more offensive skills than zajac as a freshman even with a defensman wrapped around his waste trying to tackle him.  Give Zajac his just due, but don't slam Parise in doing so....    end rant

Right on. 60+ points in his freshman year?

I can't believe there is any debate regarding Zajac vs. Parise. Parise is a special player, Zajac is a very very good player. ZP was the best playmaker in college hockey for two years. He was the best player in the world while leading USA to the WJC gold. That is way more of an accomplishment than getting UND to the frozen four. UND only got as far as they did because of ZP in 03 and 04. ZP's credentials are incredible and he had a very good year at Albany despite playing on a pretty weak team. Parise was a Hobey Finalist as a rookie, Zajac didn't even make the all rookie WCHA first team. I think Travis is great, and I'm glad he is on our team, btu I'd trade two Zajac's for one ZP.

Whether or not UND got to the FF with Zajac or Parise is not a measure of either player. Hockey is a team sport. I think with Bo and ZPar on the team the other players tended not to play as hard as they could have. Those two were the supposed "go to" guys and I think everyone else kind of slacked of a little from where they should have been playing. The Sioux did not have the goaltending the past two years, nor the defense, that this year's team had. Both Zajac and Parise have their pluses and minuses and it is not possible to make a direct comparison.

Just look at CC - two Hobey Baker finalists - and they weren't really in the game with Denver. It takes a team.

Be happy with the fact that we got to enjoy both.

The Sioux did not have the goaltending the past two years, nor the defense, that this year's team had.  Both Zajac and Parise have their pluses and minuses and it is not possible to make a direct comparison.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the Sioux had the same solid goaltending and airtight defense in 2003-04 as they did this year, IMO. I do agree with you, though, that the team played more like a team down the stretch this year than the previous year.

It's hard to have this discussion without diminishing either Zajac or Parise, and I think they're both terrific. I do know that I wouldn't trade two Zajacs for one Parise, and I'm not sure I would trade Zajac for Parise straight up.

I defintely agree that one player a team doesn't make. I almost wrote that in my original post here. A lot of extremely gifted players play their entire careers from Bantams through the NHL and never win a title.

I value everyone's opinion, but as a player I would rather play with ZP on offense and I would rather play against Zajac on defense. ZP is a playmaker who makes everyone on the ice dangerous. Zajac is a strong finisher with good size. Both players add value to any team. Parise's numbers and accolades do dwarf Zajac's, and having watched both play. Parise is a vastly more dangerous player.

I'm just glad Zajac played well enough to earn this silly debate.  Good work to the coaching staff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah you definitely can tell it is the off season, fans are already starved for some hockey. I look for Zajac to score close to 30 goals next year. Now that he has his feet wet in the WCHA I think you are going to see him have a great year next year. That was a good article on Parise thanks for the link.

This is dumb.

I am happy to have watch Zack for 2 years. I am happy to have Zajak on our team. My favorite Sioux memories were watching Greg Jognson, Dixon Ward and Russ Rominuk (sp?). they didn't win anything, but they were awesome to watch. It was probably way more wide open and freestyle then today. like the Edmonton oilers in the 80's. I guess for me watching winning teams is a bonus. I just love hockey and watching all these great players play for the Sioux.

I guess for me watching winning teams is a bonus.  I just love hockey and watching all these great players play for the Sioux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is exactly how i feel about all of the sports i love. I could care less about the individuals on the team, I still know who they are and their numbers but as far as stats and things like that, couldn't care less. I just love the sport in itself, the individuals make for conversation and things of that nature, but the sport is truly what most of here love.

Also, in my earlier post, i had nothing bad to say about zajac, I think he is going to be a rockstar in this league and hope that he sticks it out for all four years, but to compare him to someone like zach who gets mentioned in the same sentences as a sydney crosby, and the like, it's just silly to compare them.

Draft position isn't necessarily a good indicator of which was a better player in college.

If Parise put up the same numbers, played the same high octane style and was 6-2, 200 do you not think he would have gone in the top 2-3 spots in the draft?

Draft position isn't necessarily a good indicator of which was a better player in college.

If Parise put up the same numbers, played the same high octane style and was 6-2, 200 do you not think he would have gone in the top 2-3 spots in the draft?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Draft position is a very good indicator of talent level, based on the draft positions of the two players they are in the same ballpark as far as talent level.