SiouxSports.com Forum

CHA

dakotadan

Anybody hear anything more about a new CHA team in the works??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The truth is no one wants to be in the CHA. I can see the CHA going away and the other league's strong armed into absorbing the 5 remaining teams, probably the ACHA. I mean really why would you join the CHA, so you can play Wayne, Niagra, RMU, and UAH in hockey. None of those teams are a big draw.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what your saying is that my dreams about getting Ferris to leave the CCHA and baiting GVSU into getting a team is just dreams??  :sad:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would Ferris leave the CCHA for CHA? Could anyone even give us a reason why that is an attractive option? I suppose they would be the auto bid every season?

I think while it's feasable for a school like Minnesota-Crookston to make a run at playing in the CHA, it's silly to ponder kicking out established programs in the WCHA in favor of small-time colleges. With all due respect to Minnesota-Crookston and Bemidji State, I'd rather have Denver, Colorado College, and Michigan Tech on board. The day you start downsizing the WCHA into small schools trying to work their way up is the day that big schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin start daydreaming about that Big 10 Conference. And, cmon, what fun would the WCHA be without Bucky and Goldy in it?

• 1 month later...

For anyone who may not follow USCHO.com or InCH.com very closely...

This is an article from InCH.com about Kennesaw State starting play in '06-'07. Still no official announcement by the school but there are quotes in there from Atlanta Thrasher officials who have been working with KSU. They expect an official announcement around Aug. 15.

Kennesaw State Hockey...

For anyone who may not follow USCHO.com or InCH.com very closely...

This is an article from InCH.com about Kennesaw State starting play in '06-'07. Still no official announcement by the school but there are quotes in there from Atlanta Thrasher officials who have been working with KSU. They expect an official announcement around Aug. 15.

Kennesaw State Hockey...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Owls, huh? Sounds like a new jersey needs to be added to my collection!

Note the last paragraph of the article mentioned saying Minot State isn't even on D1's hockey radar.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah they're playing in an NHL rink, but are they actually going to come close to filling it??  They're still a small school thats just starting up a varsity program.  They would be better off playing in a smaller venue closer to campus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, they won't come close to filling it. However, many of the arenas in the CHA, AHA, and even some of the bigger conferences only hold 3,4, 5 thousand people. I doubt they'll reach that this year, but that is an adequate goal to reach... if filling the arena isn't going to be realistic.

Maybe they can convince the Thrashers to play an exhibition game against them? :glare:

UIUC -  Ok, Illinois Urbana-CHampaign isn't exactly a hotbed of hockey, but they are a quality team in the same division that brought Robert Morris to the AHA.  The barrier here is that they'd be jumping from club to DI hockey.  A BIG move.  The advantages are that Illinois is a growing state in terms of hockey talent and that its location isn't so far out of the way that it could hinder the ability of conference teams from visiting and vice versa.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Impressive, RW, that you would mention my Illini! However, I don't think it would work for a long, long time. There's no rink. Every UIUC hockey game sold out and was SRO, but that's because only a few hundred people could fit in the "arena." Also, Illinois is a growing state in hockey talent... above I-80. In central and southern Illinois, they're more interested in football and rodeos (ha.) The team itself has been EXTREMELY successful. I've never seen them lose, in the past few years, they have rarely lost a game and have been the national club champions and/or finished very well every year.

I'd also be wicked pissed to find out Illinois got a D-1 team after I left! I had season tickets! (It was like $40 for the whole season! Yeah!) They do already have a hockey booster club, and a club called the Harrassing Illini, which is hilarious.

However, if they got an auto-bid, they'd be banned from postseason play due to the racist mascot...

And their racist club.  :glare:

But anyways, The Chicago schools are not foreign to hockey.  I believe the UChicago schools had hockey as well.  Maybe it was UIC or UC (doubt it.  They're an "elite" private school that costs far more than anything I've ever heard of to attend).  In fact, UIC could attempt to work out an agreement with the DUmp.. I mean United Center as an arena....  KSU will do ok, it would just be nice to have a DI school in IL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hah, yes we were a horribly offensive club. And not just racially!

Chicagoland has a much greater chance of bringing D1 hockey to Illinois than UIUC does. Nearly everyone I know who played hockey and was from Illinois came from the Chicago area (The Dogs' own Tim Stapleton is from LaGrange). The state of youth hockey down south is pretty sad.