SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Hockey Seats May Go

Lobo

I removed the "more" from my original post. It's about having the seat and being able to use it to enjoy the game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that everyone should be able to enjoy the game. It would have been possible for students to stand, and others to sit. Unfortunately the arena was poorly designed for anyone to stand. The best option is for the students to be on the end, but they will still be in front of suites. The argument that people are trying to make is that it is assumed that the students should just sit, and it would be horrible to suggest that the general public made any sacrifice by having their end seats moved. The swearing is something that can't be enjoyed by everyone. If it is there, everyone will hear it.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I removed the "more" from my original post. It's about having the seat and being able to use it to enjoy the game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am absolutely pro-student. I agree with cheering, booing, singing, groaning, etc. ane engage in it myself. I am against the vulgar chants. But I am sick and tired of the season ticket holders being looked upon as the villains. The couple with season tickets who sit in front of me and the couple who sit in front of them are (I'm guessing) over 75 years old. They stand to cheer or stand when there's a break away etc. They are die hard Fighting Sioux hockey fans. Why can't they watch the game sitting in their seats? The season ticket holder bashing on this thread is out of line.

Some have made the argument that standing by the students somehow "intimidates" the other team. I don't buy it. At best, standing conveys only the following: Those of us who are standing are so drawn into the game that actually SITTING ON THE EDGE of our seats is physically impossible.

To some people, standing and swearing are both elements of disrespect for the rights of other fans to see the game and NOT hear the cursing. Other than exercising their "right" to do it, what exactly do the students get out of swearing or standing? What contribution does either activity make to the students' experience of watching hockey at the Ralph?

I'm definitely pro-student also, I just don't agree the new proposal. I don't see it solving any of the current problems.

One issue I would like to address is the students are always the target when it comes to clamping down on bad behavior and swearing. Of course they bring that on themselves a lot of the times, but I think if they are going to address this issue they need to focus it on the whole arena. Where I sit, the behavior of a lot of the fans around me is very bad, including swearing and chiming in during some of the more vulgar chants. I'm not even close to the student section either.

... but I think if they are going to address this issue they need to focus it on the whole arena.  Where I sit, the behavior of a lot of the fans around me is very bad, including swearing and chiming in during some of the more vulgar chants.  I'm not even close to the student section either.

Good point.

I am pro-Fighting Sioux hockey. I think we all are in this thread. Instead of focusing on all of the differences, we should try to unite. I think that is what both sides basically want, especially the students wanting more atmosphere out of the general public.

I am pro-Fighting Sioux hockey.  I think we all are in this thread.  Instead of focusing on all of the differences, we should try to unite.  I think that is what both sides basically want, especially the students wanting more atmosphere out of the general public.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen to that

Some have made the argument that standing by the students somehow "intimidates" the other team.  I don't buy it.  At best, standing conveys only the following:  Those of us who are standing are so drawn into  the game that actually SITTING ON THE EDGE of our seats is physically impossible. 

I get in trouble from Mr. HockeyMom for sitting on the edge of my seat.......I guess he can't see around me.

Third, the video idea is DOA. Everyone in the building is now warned that swearing is grounds for removal before each and every game. Everyone buys a ticket on which the warning is printed. To believe that a video will solve the problem is simply naive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless that video shows repeating swearing offenders being bodycheck thru the glass by Fabian, its not going to do much. ;)

I love how everyone of here is so fast to say that this re-seating idea ISN'T going to happen. I am sorry to break all of your bubbles but folks from the inside something major IS going to happen. Why are all of you so afraid of change? Obviously nothing up to this point has worked so why should athletics and the Ralph not go for a change. I say this because I belive they are going to. New GM, New AD, Bad Press for the President....the starts are aligning and sorry but get ready for it. We are one of the few if not the last of colleges that has there student section on the center ice and not at the end of the arena. Also people talk about "their" seats, NEWS FLASH..those are not their seats. They are the Ralph's seats; all you do is pay for the privilege to sit in them. You pay no more then the students who fork over 13,000+ dollars to have the privilege to watch fighting sioux hockey. I have nothing but respect for fans of hockey but I have no time for fans that look down on students. Guess what students are your future leaders, future alumni, future co-workers, people who you will entrust you lives with someday. Students are no better then the people of Grand Forks and they are no better then the students.

I love how everyone of here is so fast to say that this re-seating idea ISN'T going to happen. I am sorry to break all of your bubbles but folks from the inside something major IS going to happen. Why are all of you so afraid of change? Obviously nothing up to this point has worked so why should athletics and the Ralph not go for a change. I say this because I belive they are going to. New GM, New AD, Bad Press for the President....the starts are aligning and sorry but get ready for it. We are one of the few if not the last of colleges that has there student section on the center ice and not at the end of the arena. Also people talk about "their" seats, NEWS FLASH..those are not their seats. They are the Ralph's seats; all you do is pay for the privilege to sit in them. You pay no more then the students who fork over 13,000+ dollars to have the privilege to watch fighting sioux hockey. I have nothing but respect for fans of hockey but I have no time for fans that look down on students. Guess what students are your future leaders, future alumni, future co-workers, people who you will entrust you lives with someday. Students are no better then the people of Grand Forks and they are no better then the students.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AND it's their University.

I love how everyone of here is so fast to say that this re-seating idea ISN'T going to happen. I am sorry to break all of your bubbles but folks from the inside something major IS going to happen.

Who are you and how do you know this?

We are one of the few if not the last of colleges that has there student section on the center ice and not at the end of the arena.
As I recall, the student section is where it is because the students wanted it there. I also recall that when a suggestion was made a few years ago to move the student section to an end of the arena, the students threw a fit about it.

Also people talk about "their" seats, NEWS FLASH..those are not their seats. They are the Ralph's seats; all you do is pay for the privilege to sit in them.

The Ralph has nothing to do with where people sit. It's a UND decision.

You pay no more then the students who fork over 13,000+ dollars to have the privilege to watch fighting sioux hockey.
I had no idea that students pay so much for hockey tickets. Boy, do I feel silly. ;)

Guess what students are your future leaders, future alumni, future co-workers, people who you will entrust you lives with someday. Students are no better then the people of Grand Forks and they are no better then the students.

If nobody's any better than anyone else, why do some people think they have the right to engage in behavior that disrespects other peoples' right to see and enjoy the games?

AND it's their University.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. The university belongs to the people of North Dakota who founded it and support it with their tax dollars so that their children can be educated within the state's borders. Without the support of voters and taxpayers, UND would cease to exist as a state institution.

No. The university belongs to the people of North Dakota who founded it and support it with their tax dollars so that their children can be educated within the state's borders. Without the support of voters and taxpayers, UND would cease to exist as a state institution.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what happens to the University if there are no students?

It's their University.

So what happens to the University if there are no students?

Are students on the endangered species list? I wasn't aware that they were becoming extinct.

It's their University.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not "their university" until they can support it with "their money" and "their government." UND exists because the people of North Dakota support it.

The Ralph has nothing to do with where people sit. It's a UND decision.

I had no idea that students pay so much for hockey tickets. Boy, do I feel silly. ;)

Let me preface this post with the fact that I bow to your knowledge of the sport of hockey and the University of North Dakota. I in no way mean this as an insult.

I notice that you often make posts similar to this. I also understand that others do. However, for a well respected, and well educated, "sudo"-reporter I don't think comments like these are constructive. Your opinion on this matter is well known and, like most others, well appreciated. Something like this, however, is taken in slightly poor taste, and I'm not sure 206Jockey appreciates you belittling him.

I agree with you on the fact that this argument has moved far past welcome. I only hope you understand where I come from on this situation.

I'm sorry if my opinion is unpopular, but I thought it was necessary to mention.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that something is in the works. I have been on the season ticket waiting list for the last 5 years. Every year I usually need to call the U to find out what is happening as far as movement up the list. I do remember getting a letter once but usually I need to call them. This year I received a phone call from them confirming my information and letting me know where I am situated on the list. This was a first and kind of surprising. Less than a week later this thread shows up. I hope the stars do align just right and I get "the call" this year.

Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me preface this post with the fact that I bow to your knowledge of the sport of hockey and the University of North Dakota. I in no way mean this as an insult.

I notice that you often make posts similar to this. I also understand that others do. However, as a well respected, and well educated, "sudo"-reporter I don't think comments like these are constructive. Your opinion on this matter is well known and, like most others, well appreciated. Something like this, however, is taken in slightly poor taste, and I'm not sure 206Jockey appreciates you belittling him.

I agree with you on the fact that this argument has moved far past welcome. I only hope you understand where I come from on this situation.

I'm sorry if my opinion is unpopular, but I thought it was necessary to mention.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For every $13,000 spent by students on education, how much is spent by the taxpayers of NoDak to subsidize the public university system?

PCM was not disrespectful, 206Jockey had the belittling post, PCM just refuted everything Jockey said with solid arguments, nothing wrong with that.

Once again, deal harshly with the limited number of troublemakers rather than shaking up the entire seating system.

I didn't make that post to incite a debate about poster integrity. I was only commenting on what I've noticed. I'm not taking sides on the issue, mostly because I can't be unbiased, and 206Jockey's post was no different than many others in this thread.

That post was directed at PCM, though nobody should be held at different standards, and was my opinion on what I've noticed.