SiouxSports.com Forum

New Provost

IowaBison

http://www.in-forum.com/ap/index.cfm?page=view&id=D89FGSAG0

Don't know the guy, but I wish him the best of luck.

The last guy to take an higher administration job in North Dakota out of Montana State had (and still does have) his head screwed on straight with regards to research.

I hope that this triggers a continuing expansion of research for UND.

(On a down note, why the heck didn't you hire a Ph.D.?)

I hope that this triggers a continuing expansion of research for UND.

How do you "trigger" something that's already happening? :lol:

(On a down note, why the heck didn't you hire a Ph.D.?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We did. Read the whole story.

That should help him out in dealing with Kupchella :silly:

j/k He looks like a good hire :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somehow making fun of Dorkchella isn't going to start you on the path to getting Skippy alerts.

I'm not sure he's too well liked among the SS.com faithful.

Somehow making fun of Dorkchella isn't going to start you on the path to getting Skippy alerts.

I'm not sure he's too well liked among the SS.com faithful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some of us who recognize that there's more to running an university than schmoozing and athletics don't think he's done such a bad job.

Some of us who recognize that there's more to running an university than schmoozing and athletics don't think he's done such a bad job.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PCM, I agree. Chicken Charlie really set me off with his waffling on the name change when it was clear the vast majority of students, alum and the community all wanted it to stay. But over time I have really learned to appreciate his adminstrative and goal setting abilities. He seems to have really brought a lot of focus to the academic, research, and (non-athletic) facilities sides of UND. For this he should receive legitimate applause.

His biggest problems are that he seems to be very lacking in charisma for someone in his position, and he seems to be totally (maybe even willfully) unaware of the importance of athletics in the minds of students, alum and the community. He may feel that he and the university should be above such things, and maybe in a perfect world he'd be right. We happen to live in a very imperfect world, though, and if you refuse to deal with reality, reality will deal with you, and usually in an unkind manner. He just doesn't seem to be comfortable being the center of attention. I get the feeling it won't be long before he moves on: Not because he'll be forced out, but because he's just going to 'burn-out' over having to spend so much time and attention on things with which he would really rather not have to involve himself.

Chicken Charlie really set me off with his waffling on the name change when it was clear the vast majority of students, alum and the community all wanted it to stay.  But over time I have really learned to appreciate his adminstrative and goal setting abilities.  He seems to have really brought a lot of focus to the academic, research, and (non-athletic) facilities sides of UND.  For this he should receive legitimate applause.

I whole-heartedly agree. Anyone who reads this and cares about the University of North Dakota as a total entity needs to read the draft of "Strategic Plan II". Dr. Kupchella is a driving force behind this effort and it is good for UND.

His biggest problems are that he seems to be very lacking in charisma for someone in his position ...

Oh yeah, I witnessed a pretty good faux pax by him in a semi-private setting in Columbus. I was left shaking my head.

... he seems to be totally (maybe even willfully) unaware of the importance of athletics in the minds of students, alum and the community.  He may feel that he and the university should be above such things, ...

I suspect deep inside he still has a deeper love for academics than administration which would tend him to not focus on things like athletics.

He just doesn't seem to be comfortable being the center of attention.

I see that too. I suspect that's the "academic" in him also.

I get the feeling it won't be long before he moves on:  Not because he'll be forced out, but because he's just going to 'burn-out' over having to spend so much time and attention on things with which he would really rather not have to involve himself.

I could see that happening as well, but for a different reason: To focus more on his research (academics) for one more period of his life.

I think there are few, if any, university presidents who are fanatical about their athletic teams, though they often give a different impression in order to garner financial and political support for their institution. (I know of a guy in Fargo who does this pretty much every day!)

I don't see many academics who come up through ranks who don't see the large sums of money in the athletic department and don't say gee I could do some pretty cutting edge research or provide scholarships to non-athletes or have a nicer classroom with just a fraction of the money spent on the 'jocks' at one time or another. (They also see the occasional scandal or poor academic performance and shake their head)

I think there are few, if any, university presidents who are fanatical about their athletic teams, though they often give a different impression in order to garner financial and political support for their institution.  (I know of a guy in Fargo who does this pretty much every day!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But he is following two people who did appreciate and were true fans of the athletic teams in Presidents Clifford and Baker, which leads to expectations from the community of the current UND President. Baker was even in Columbus this past weekend after being "let go" by UND.

PCM, I agree.  Chicken Charlie really set me off with his waffling on the name change when it was clear the vast majority of students, alum and the community all wanted it to stay.

Although I didn't agree with his handling of that situation, I think it's very important to remember that while Kupchella was still wet behind the ears as a college president, he was sent into that particular minefield without a map. I'm still not sure why it happened. It shouldn't have.

If you ever visit the BRIDGES Web site, you'll see that the name change proponents seem to dislike Kupchella as much as those who favor keeping the Sioux name. And that's why I can empathize with the guy. No matter what he does on that issue, he can't win. Nor can I blame him for wanting to put the issue behind him when there are so many other more important matters with which to deal.

His biggest problems are that he seems to be very lacking in charisma for someone in his position, and he seems to be totally (maybe even willfully) unaware of the importance of athletics in the minds of students, alum and the community. 

It's true that he is no Tom Clifford or Kendall Baker, both of whom I've had the pleasure of knowing. But to say that Kupchella's "totally unaware" of the importance of athletics at UND is, in my opinion, a false statement. I've heard him speak a number of times on a number of occasions about how much pride he takes in UND's athletic teams. I believe he was very sincere.

During my career, I've dealt with a number of bosses who criticized me because I wasn't as enthusiastic or as gung-ho as they thought I should be. They had absolutely no problem with me or the quality of my work. They simply didn't like the fact that I didn't have their attitude about work.

It's always made me wonder why, to some people, attitude is more important than results. The world is full of people lacking in the enthusiasm and personality departments who have accomplished great and important things. On the other hand, I've known many people with tons of enthusiasm and loads of personality who never accomplished a damn thing in their lives and probably never will. They are all flash and no substance.

That's why I tend to judge Kupchella by what he's actually done for UND that's meaningful and worthwhile. Yes, it would be nice if he were more of a people person, more outgoing and more of sports fan. But that should be of secondary importance in the grand scheme of things.

It's always made me wonder why, to some people, attitude is more important than results. The world is full of people lacking in the enthusiasm and personality departments who have accomplished great and important things. On the other hand, I've known many people with tons of enthusiasm and loads of personality who never accomplished a damn thing in their lives and probably never will. They are all flash and no substance.

That's why I tend to judge Kupchella by what he's actually done for UND that's meaningful and worthwhile. Yes, it would be nice if he were more of a people person, more outgoing and more of sports fan. But that should be of secondary importance in the grand scheme of things.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a ton of truth here. Too often people value style over substance. I think Wanless was a victim of this. I worked in the Athletic Department during his tenure and had a lot of respect for him. You certainly can't argue with the direction he pointed the department prior to his ouster.

There is a ton of truth here.  Too often people value style over substance.  I think Wanless was a victim of this.  I worked in the Athletic Department during his tenure and had a lot of respect for him.  You certainly can't argue with the direction he pointed the department prior to his ouster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The same goes for athletics under Kupchella. If they'd gone downhill on his watch, I could understand some of the rancor. But the exact opposite is true, and yet people still rip him. It makes no sense to me.

During my career, I've dealt with a number of bosses who criticized me because I wasn't as enthusiastic or as gung-ho as they thought I should be. They had absolutely no problem with me or the quality of my work. They simply didn't like the fact that I didn't have their attitude about work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here I always thought I was the only one who faced this. ;):D It is amazing at the level of insecurity many bosses have. Giving insecure unprincipled people authority is a scary proposition.

In this media and celebrity-driven world, the focus of too many institutions and businesses is on a charismatic leader, rather than the values, principles, and goals that an institution should strive toward. Many of the best, most principled corporations (Johnson & Johnson, 3M, Cisco, Pfizer, HP (up until recently) as examples) or universities (Jesuit colleges, for instance), have leaders that purposefully have low media profiles. Too often, institutions or corporations that are personality-centered fail because of a personal defect in the leadership or flounder after the leadership leaves. Perhaps this concept should be pondered relative to the two flagship universities in North Dakota.